• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Chokes...

Super Waterfowl Series
p240495793-4.jpg
p356583240-4.jpg

p124480320-4.jpg

p320417180-4.jpg

Precision Hunter VS Sporting Clays
p492155899-4.jpg

Very nice Dan!

Have you shot them yet?

So far I have been really enjoying them. I can't wait for waterfowl next season...

I have been doing some informal testing with a Carlsons rifled choke and foster slugs and so far it is looking good. I had a collection of 7 or 8 different 2 3/4" and 3" slugs and at 55 yards off a solid bench using the rifled tube I reduced my avarage group size by about a third. Typically I was getting 5" to 7" across with a Carlsons tatical choke on my 930 and after I put on the the rifled tube I was seeing 3" to 6". I know those numbers are not anywhere close to bragging size but the fact was my groups were smaller. In the case of Remington 3" 7/8 oz slugs groups were cut in half. I wish I had kept a better record of all the individual targets or slugs but all I wanted to see is if it made a difference and it did. What I really learned firsthand is my 930 does prefer some brands over another, just like so many experts have said. One odd little fact is my gun seems to shoot 3" slugs of the same brand and type better than the 2 3/4"..and a Limbsaver pad makes shooting any slug easier. .

I've got a question. I bought a Mossberg 930 WF and bought a Kicks HF ported choke modified. I was told not to shoot Black Cloud shells with a ported choke the wad would get stuck in the choke and the next shot would damage the barrel. Does anybody here know if this is true ?

I've got a question. I bought a Mossberg 930 WF and bought a Kicks HF ported choke modified. I was told not to shoot Black Cloud shells with a ported choke the wad would get stuck in the choke and the next shot would damage the barrel. Does anybody here know if this is true ?

I'm just beginning to experiment with load and choke combinations too.

Is the black cloud steel? If so, do not use it in the Kicks. The Kicks is not designed to be used with steel shot which may be one of the reasons the Kicks isn't a better selling product.

Other than that, the black cloud uses the FliteControl wad, yes? The Kicks choke is ported and interferes with the wad performance, stripping it away prematurely and negating the positive and intended effect of the wad. I've fired FliteControl loads through ported tubes and they don't cause damage to the tube at all, it just makes the load suck.

The only way I see the load damaging the tube is if it is indeed steel shot. If so, definitely don't do that.

1st let me say that I don't have any experience with this manufacturers choke tubes.

Here's the quote from the Kick's site:

"While High Flyers can be safely used with lead shot, they are labeled based on the pattern performance you will get with steel or other non-toxic load you wish you use.

High Flyer chokes are not recommended for use with Federal Black Cloud ammunition. For those shells, you will need our Vortex choke tube. "

If the manufacturer tells you that it has made a specific choke tube because there could be a problem w/ using a particular type of ammo w/ their choke tube I wouldn't tempt fate. Kick's does offer different style choke tubes. The Vortex choke tube is recommended for Black Cloud ammunition.

http://www.kicks-ind.com/category/vortex.html

Kick's even went as far as to etch the Black cloud logo on this choke tube. You might also note that the Kick's Vortex Black Cloud choke tube doesn't have any porting like the HighFlyer choke tubes.

Back