• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

Hello all, I'm a new member to the forums and new owner of a 930 JM Pro 24". What kind of cleaner and oil do you recommend for the initial cleaning?

Hello all, I'm a new member to the forums and new owner of a 930 JM Pro 24". What kind of cleaner and oil do you recommend for the initial cleaning?

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

I lean towards Hoppe's #9.

Do a search of "cleaning solvents" here and you will find a bunch of different types and ideas.

Last edited:
Now everyone is shouting about, well not on here, about FROGLUBE. anyone use it on the 930`s and what results ?

I used it... saw no comparative difference. It gunked up in a few guns I had it in (even when I followed their directions of degreasing and heating the metal). I since stopped using it.

I saw a very good test with Frog Lube and that MP7 stuff . Now mind you , I have Frog Lube ,but don't use it much as it can "gunk" up .
But the Frog stuff was a significantly better corrosion inhibitor .
I myself use Ezoxx (sp?) and /or Otis Ultra Bore .

I saw a very good test with Frog Lube and that MP7 stuff . Now mind you , I have Frog Lube ,but don't use it much as it can "gunk" up .
But the Frog stuff was a significantly better corrosion inhibitor .
I myself use Ezoxx (sp?) and /or Otis Ultra Bore .
The tests show it is an excellent rust inhibitor. The liquid is also a really great bore cleaner and gets much more carbon fouling out of the barrel than other items I've used.

I use Hoppes #9 and Frog lube. I don't heat it up, but I let it sit for about half an hour before wiping it off with a clean microfiber cloth. I think I need to pay more attention to the inside of the magazine tube. The Mossberg site has a video of Jerry Miculek showing how to field strip and clean the 930. He really concentrates on how to clean the gas piston.

Last edited:
For the piston, I pull the rings and use a stiff nylon brush soaked in hoppes #9 to get any crud out of the channels and from around the base of the piston itself. Quick and easy, and leaves it squeaky clean.

The manual says to clean after 200 rounds. Also, I've found that my 1/8 punch will just fit in the gas ports. That lead me to discover that my pellet rifle (.177) brush fits nicely as well. Froglube works well as long as you're careful to wipe off as much excess oil as you can.

Another yay for Froglube, has been working so well for me so that's all I use on all my firearms for the past several years. Love the way it enables easier cleaning for the next clean up session. As Frank McCarthy mentioned, wipe off the excess and you shouldn't have any gunk up problems. I always go very light on sensitive areas where it could seep in and coagulate like the firing pin channel and the gas port holes in the barrel.

And to get the inside of the barrel as clean as a whistle, I use these on the barrels of all my guns instead of cotton cloth swabs (for your final pass) on the end of a rod attachment -

http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Bore-Squeeg-E/dp/B006H9B7PU

Back