• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Forends

Re: Aimpro Tri-Rail

I run the AFG2 on my ARs in the same location with a Surefire pressure switch (momentary and push button switch assembly) on the top rail where my thumb naturally sits with this setup. I would very much like to be able to get my thumb up and over in the same position on the SPX, but am concerned about the exposed barrel. Does Mike do a heat shield for the SPX? Any plans for a quad-rail? As always, great review M24!

Thanks bro.
I am not aware of any quad rail plans, but he does make a heatshield I belive.

After a long time i get sensible post... Great sharing of pics as well.. :roll: waiting for more.. :idea:

MagPul Picatinny rail mod on 930SPX

Ok this is a step by step...

Step 1:
Clear Shotgun make sure its empty!!!

Step 2:
Unscrew the magazine extension. Make sure you dont pop the spring out because its going to shoot out.

Step 3:
Take the forend out ...

Forend by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 4:
Locate where you generally want the Picatinny rail.

Project StopLite by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 5:
Give the Picatinny rail a nice flat surface to sit on. Take the forend and get your self a dremel and set it @ the lowest speed (mine was set @ 5000rpms) and took a circular sander. And ran a strip down to match the lenght of the picatinny rail. And double check after every pass. Make sure you dont grind down too far. Nice and Slow... and check after the flatness by placing the picatinny on the forend.

Project StopLite by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 6:
When you finally have a nice flat surface for the picatinny rail. Place it on the top of the forend and mark the holes with a marker...

Project stoplite prt 4 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 6:
Started with a 1/8drill and check bolt clearance. And the thread the bolt to check clearance. Mine required I moved up to a 9/64" drill bit. It was still really tight and I slowly worked the bolt in the hole. So it was tight but I thread it in to make my own thread for the bolt.

Drilled by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 7:
I thread the bolt all the way in and check clearance. Unscrew the bolt half way out and hold the flat nut while re-screwing the bolt back in...

From the inside by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 8:
Tighten everything down and your done ... end product should look like this...

Magpul installed by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Re: MagPul Picatinny rail / Sig Sauer mod on 930SPX

Good job, very good write up and pix, too. ;)

Are you going to be mounting a light or ?

Re: MagPul Picatinny rail mod on 930SPX

That came out great! Thanks for taking the time to share this with everyone.

Re: MagPul Picatinny rail mod on 930SPX

Nice work and good write up!

930 walnut forearm FAIL

After disassembling, cleaning factory gunk, oiling and reassembling, I took my 930 to the range. Everything's tight, action's smooth -- no problems, right?

Well, the first shell fired cracks the forearm down both sides. The 2nd shell blows it apart. I've got 3 broken pieces of what was my forearm.

Question: while it's under warranty for the part, I think the wood forearm is cheaply made and needs to be swapped out with something more robust -- where can I get a synthetic forearm that will fit the 930?

Many thanks from a newbie!

-Sean in DC

Re: 930 walnut forearm FAIL

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum wrytous !!

Sorry to hear about your problem...and you are correct, Mossberg will make it right. When explaining the problem to customer service, you should probably explain that you would rather have a synthetic forearm to replace the broken one.

As far as aftermarket vendors for same...I would suggest ATI !!

Let us know how you make out Sean...

Thanks shooter -- I'll let you know what I find out.

There's no legit reason for hot gases to be ejected against the forearm during firing, is there? I mean other than a failure of the mechanism(s)...

Thx.

Wrytous, welcome to the forum!
A few members have replaced the sythetic forearm on their 930 SPXs with railed forearms. I plan to in the next month or so. If Mossberg won't give you a sythetic forearm, you might post a thread in the classifieds and see if you can score one on the cheap! I am sure Mossberg customer service will take care of you though.

Well, I'm a tad confused -- I have a 930 AF VR in walnut (stock/forearm) -- not the SPX. The guts of my gun and yours must be basically the same. Mine's for hunting, trap/skeet/clays, etc. -- not so much HD. I have the rifled barrel for it, as well.

But, not sure an aftermarket forearm for the SPX will work for my plain vanilla 930. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Same receiver, forearm, stock, etc. I could take your wood furniture off your 930 and put it on mine and vice versa. Only 2 major differences. My SPX has the LPA Ghost ring sights and an 18 1/2 " cylinder bore barrel. I could take my barrel, install it on your shotgun, take my rear sight and rail strip and put them on your receiver and you would have an SPX with wood furniture. The shotgun was not designed as a dedicated HD/LE platform initially. The sporting version came first, then the SPX.

Howdy wrytous, and welcome to the club.

Update: I ordered a synthetic replacement forearm / forend on Nov 28, from Mossberg. Called yesterday, and they STILL hadn't picked or shipped it. I'm going to call again today, and every day they're open, until I get my damn part.

Not pleased...

-SeaninDC

Wow, that's crappy CS. They seem to run in spurts. Good CS for awile and then it gets bad again.

Can you believe they STILL haven't shipped the part? Unbelievable. I'm f***ing pissed off.

Back