• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensions

Re: 930 Tactical Question

Thanks guys, unfortunately the seller backed out after I drove 1 1/2 hours to purchase. Looks like I will keep the SPX a while longer.

New 85330

85330 owner here and I was wondering if what kind of tube extension I can install since it has the breacher barrel ( is that what it's called?). I am looking at a not so expensive extension. Another issue I have that I have not gotten used to after more or less 500 rounds is the stock. It is too short for me. Any (again) inexpensive fix on this one? Thanks.

Re: New 85330

I've got the same 18.5" breacher set-up on my 930 and I run the Nordic Components +2 extension. Not exactly cheap, but it functions flawlessly. S&J makes a great extension as well. Just be careful, the cheap mag extensions tend to booger up the shotgun and make it all but inoperative. Even the factory Choate extensions Mossberg uses are the subject of countless posts about functional issues here on the forum...

Thanks Lazy. How much would the nordic +2 run? Also, suggestions on how I deal w/ the short stock?

No problem,

The Nordic kit includes the barrel nut, extension, spring, and end cap for $80. As far as the stock, there are not too many aftermarket options for the 930. Limbsaver makes a slip-on recoil pad that'll add about an inch to the LOP, but not sure how much extra length you're looking for...

There you go.... the slip on recoil pads. Been scattered brain since this afternoon and I could not remember what it was. Thanks a lot.
By the way, I was shooting this winchester Xspeed birdshot and I noticed that the extractor actually tears the head and ends up giving me failure to extract. I don't know if you have noticed it. From then on, I avoided that particular shell like plague.

No problem,

I haven't used the Win. Xspeed, but I've seen other posts here with the same issue on other Winchester ammo. The rim on those rounds is apparently a bit thinner than most. Let us know if the Limbsaver helps...

I've got a precision fit model on mine, so not sure exactly whitch slip-on fits the 930 stock.

The size "small" slip-on pad I use on my 590a1 is definitely too small. You can download/print sizing templates on their website...

Limbsaver Recoil Pad Templates

930 SPX problem identified, unsure on solution

I can occasionally only load 5 rounds in stead of 7. If I chamber a round, then I can continue loading all 7 (+1).

I know what's happening. The base of the first shell is catching on a gap between the magazine and magazine extension. How do I know?

When I place the forearm on the gun, there are about 5 threads showing where the mag extension screws in. Without the forearm on, if I put the mag extension on, it has 6 threads available. When I load it without the forearm on I can load 7 rounds every time.

I see lots of guys replacing the follower, magazine spring and/or the mag extension.

I don't think any of that is the problem. The problem is the forearm doesn't slide down far enough to allow all of the threads to be exposed for the mag extension to full seat itself flush with the magazine tube.

From what I've read, the Nordic mag extension may solve this problem. But I think I can solve it easier by trimming on the stock to allow it to slide down another 1/8th of an inch or so.

So what should I do? Try and trim on the stock (I'm not sure where to trim) or hope the Nordic extension solves the problem?

Other than this, the gun is excellent and I'm very happy with it.

Re: 930 SPX problem identified, unsure on solution

Didn't edit my original post as I want to be complete in my testing process.

I was wrong. It was not the mag tube thread problem. I have since found I can replicate the issue with/without the forend on.

So my problem has to be the follower hanging up on the lip inside the mag extension.

Will lubing the follower and this lip do the trick or do I need to smooth the edges off of both?

Thanks for updating us on your situation. To be honest the easiest solution if its your magazine extension would be to replace it; either call Mossberg and have a replacement sent or buy the high quality Nordic Comp. Do you feel any obvsious lip on the extension tube?

+1 on the Nordic Comp. tube.

I've had zero issues since I installed their +2 extension on my 930...

Do you feel any obvsious lip on the extension tube?

Yes, very substantial lip, I'd say about 1/16th of an inch.

Spent most of the afternoon grinding this down, then polishing. Also cleaned up the sharp edges on the follower.

I've went from a failure to load all 7 about 1 in 3 tries to about 1 in 10. So that's progress. But I'm not satisfied.

I know I should have just bought the Nordic extension and a better follower. But I thought I could fix it myself. I'm thinking it may actually be catching on the final thread now, not the lip. I've mentioned previously that with the forend on, I can only see 5 of the 6 threads on the magazine tube. So next step will be to see if I can create a failure to load 7 rounds without the forend attached. If I can't then I need to trim on the stock somewhere to allow it to slip down about an 1/8th or create a recess for the magazine extension to rest all of the way down. Either this or I'll try a new follower, then a new magazine extension.

Really like the gun, impressed with how it performed at the range, but them using this poor quality part has really dampened my experience.

Will keep you all posted as this has been a very helpful forum.

Thank you for posting your progress.

Mossberg's continued use of these problematic Choate extensions has us all scratching our heads, especially with the countless documented cases of repair and replacement the units have caused. Really hope you can get it worked out at no additional cost, but if not the Nordic Comp. extensions are definitely worth the money. I don't recall seeing a single case of these issues with the Nordic units...

I measured the difference between the the barrel and the magazine extension with and without the forearm attached.

I then proceeded to trim that amount off the front of the forend. I then reassembled the gun and loaded and unloaded 20 times without any problems.

I am very curious if this is the problem many people are having. Doing what I did took up any gap between the magazine tube and Choate extension and allowed the extension to thread all the way onto the magazine tube.

The forend is ever so slightly loose now though so I may have to add a large washer to tighten it up. I can move the barrel about 1/32nd of an inch perhaps. Is the pressure from the forend all that holds the barrel tightly into the receiver? Apparently I took off just a bit too much. It wasn't pretty and it wasn't scientific.

Anyways, it functions properly now loading up 7 rounds each time and the follower doesn't hang while loading or unloading. I just had to grind/polish the mag extension and cut up my forend. Now I need to glue in some fiber washers or something to provide the forend proper tension to hold it all together.

Mossberg, this is totally ridiculous.

I read about a lot of the issues w these guns, but read where people love them too. I'll probably replace the magazine extension eventually (like I should have just done in the first place), but will now need a new forend too.

930 Mag Extension

My 930 is a 4+1. I want to put a +3 extension on it. When I take the cap off there is a plug in the end of the tube. It has 2 ears that snap with a ratch sound when I tigthen the cap. How do I remove this plug to add the extension?
Thanks

Back