• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

It does look pretty awesome but if I'm gonna have anything with a 50 cal muzzle brake on it it's gonna be a 50 cal lol

I purchased a new 930 SPX from Cabelas about 6 weeks ago. First time out it would fail to feed about every 4 rounds. I was using Federal premium slugs and buckshot. Shells that would chamber would have pieces of plastic sliced off the crimped end from a sharp edged at the extractor notch area of the chamber. I sent the gun back to Mossberg for repair. It was returned a month later with a new barrel, magazine, magazine spring, and test fired. The gun cycles now, but upon loading I am only able to load 5 shells (2 3/4"). The shells or follower hang up where the extension and magazine meet. The tube magazine has a jagged edge, splits, and part of the metal is even rolled over. There is no way this can be smoothed out. The Mossberg tech must not of loaded more than 5 rounds when test firing, and I wonder why a clearly visible defective magazine was installed. I will attach photos later. So here I am with a new 930 that still has issues. I am ready to cut my losses and go with different manufacture.

That's the problem with Mossberg, hit or miss.... No matter the model. I know I will catch flack for my next statement, but it is my experience with Mossberg products (Ranging from the 500, 590, 930, MVP, ect). I am satisfied with my 930SPX enough to rely on it as a bear defense gun (I live in the DFW area.... No bears). I have given up on it as a three gun tool and a home defense tool. Too many issues that require tinkering and parts replacements. I will only sell it to someone local to me willing to pay my purchase price of $760 (After taxes) and will sign a disclosure accepting all responsibility for the gun and absolving me of any liability for said gun.

Photos of the cycled Shells being chewed up , and the magazine tube end after it was returned from Mossberg
IMG_0892 930 SPX Cycled Shells.JPG IMG_0912 930 SPX Magazine.JPG

Photos of the cycled Shells being chewed up , and the magazine tube end after it was returned from Mossberg
View attachment 8111 View attachment 8112

I would take the extractor claw out of the bolt assembly and polish it.. remove any sharp edges. With regards to the magazine tube, that is unnaceptable. I'd have them send me a replacement tube.. make the change yourself instead of sending back to Mossberg. If they balk on sending you a replacement, send them the picture of the chewed up tube they sent you.

That's the problem with Mossberg, hit or miss.... No matter the model. I know I will catch flack for my next statement, but it is my experience with Mossberg products (Ranging from the 500, 590, 930, MVP, ect). I am satisfied with my 930SPX enough to rely on it as a bear defense gun (I live in the DFW area.... No bears). I have given up on it as a three gun tool and a home defense tool. Too many issues that require tinkering and parts replacements. I will only sell it to someone local to me willing to pay my purchase price of $760 (After taxes) and will sign a disclosure accepting all responsibility for the gun and absolving me of any liability for said gun.
You live in DFW, as in Dallas-Fort Worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You live in DFW, as in Dallas-Fort Worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the problem with Mossberg, hit or miss.... No matter the model. I know I will catch flack for my next statement, but it is my experience with Mossberg products (Ranging from the 500, 590, 930, MVP, ect). I am satisfied with my 930SPX enough to rely on it as a bear defense gun (I live in the DFW area.... No bears). I have given up on it as a three gun tool and a home defense tool. Too many issues that require tinkering and parts replacements. I will only sell it to someone local to me willing to pay my purchase price of $760 (After taxes) and will sign a disclosure accepting all responsibility for the gun and absolving me of any liability for said gun.[/QUOTE
I would take the extractor claw out of the bolt assembly and polish it.. remove any sharp edges. With regards to the magazine tube, that is unnaceptable. I'd have them send me a replacement tube.. make the change yourself instead of sending back to Mossberg. If they balk on sending you a replacement, send them the picture of the chewed up tube they sent you.

Last edited:
Newbie question......but is the extractor claw removed during a normal cleaning, or is it a part I need to disassemble further than "normal" to inspect for sharp edges? Any pics would really help me envision it. THanks gents.

Newbie question......but is the extractor claw removed during a normal cleaning, or is it a part I need to disassemble further than "normal" to inspect for sharp edges? Any pics would really help me envision it. THanks gents.

Personally I've never disassembled any part of the any bolt assembly on any firearm I've ever owned. There should be no need to remove this for normal cleaning. I would say it is only done for purposes of correcting a problem with the part.

I do.

Only do it about once a year on my range guns I shoot a LOT though. I don't clean my shotguns very often at all, but when I do I go all in...

Personally I've never disassembled any part of the any bolt assembly on any firearm I've ever owned. There should be no need to remove this for normal cleaning. I would say it is only done for purposes of correcting a problem with the part.

Good to hear, so if someone could send a close-up pic showing the "edges" of the claw that I should inspect for sharp edges, I'd appreciate it immensely. :)

I received my 930 SPX back from Mossberg today. This time they replaced the defective magazine and extension. I have not test fired it as it is now missing the rear sight! It is not on the gun or in the box. This purchase has been nothing but trouble. In the two months I have owned it has been at Mossberg or on the Fed Ex truck the entire time. How can they repair a gun and test fire it, then ship it without the rear sight? Same thing with the mangled magazine? All they have to do is look.

I purchased a new 930 SPX from Cabelas about 6 weeks ago. First time out it would fail to feed about every 4 rounds. I was using Federal premium slugs and buckshot. Shells that would chamber would have pieces of plastic sliced off the crimped end from a sharp edged at the extractor notch area of the chamber. I sent the gun back to Mossberg for repair. It was returned a month later with a new barrel, magazine, magazine spring, and test fired. The gun cycles now, but upon loading I am only able to load 5 shells (2 3/4"). The shells or follower hang up where the extension and magazine meet. The tube magazine has a jagged edge, splits, and part of the metal is even rolled over. There is no way this can be smoothed out. The Mossberg tech must not of loaded more than 5 rounds when test firing, and I wonder why a clearly visible defective magazine was installed. I will attach photos later. So here I am with a new 930 that still has issues. I am ready to cut my losses and go with different manufacture.

Damn man, that really sucks.

I'd send Mr. Zakher an email and ask that they send your rear sight out to you using OVERNIGHT service...

Joseph Zakher
jzakher@maverickarms.com

That's just ridiculous and unacceptable...

Good to hear, so if someone could send a close-up pic showing the "edges" of the claw that I should inspect for sharp edges, I'd appreciate it immensely. :)
Just a "bump" to see if someone can include a pic of the suspect edges on the claw that I can inspect and potentially smooth out to improve function.........thanks all!

After my third outing with the 930SPX I found that loading Rio buckshot the first shell hangs on a ridge where the magazine tube meets the receiver. I mean hangs like I can't budge it with my thumb.

I took a small curved file and worked the area a bit until the ridge felt mostly smooth. There is still some resistance when loading the Rio but it goes in with a bit of pressure.

I didn't have any problems loading other brands of shells but the Rio has a very high brass base and the edge of the brass was catching on that ridge.

I also had an occasional issue with the follower hanging on the transition from the mag tube to the extension. I smoothed the bottom edge of the follower and that problem seems to be gone.

The other problem I have is that Spartan buckshot gives frequent FTE. I have used several loads from birdshot to magnum buckshot from various manufacturers and no other brands give FTE. The solution to that one is just not to use Spartan.

The first 2 problems I'll credit to quality control. The last I just chalk up to the fact that not every gun likes every kind of ammo.

Back