• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Side Saddles/Shell Holders

I purchased three Essac shotgun cards from SKD last year. I plan on adding a velcro panel to my 930. Nice, simple, lightweight solution.

Re: Shotshell carrier options (Mesa, tacstar, etc)

m24shooter said:
Neither.
The Mesa and TacStar both use replacement trigger pins. These are bolts that pass throught he receiver and trigger group and engage threaded mounting plates.
The adhesive type is the 3 Gun Gear model.
My two bits with TacStar is separate the plastic layer from the aluminum backing plate that attaches to the gun. Join these two parts together with epoxy. The (6?) small screws that hold the two layers are inadequate even with blue Loctite. Save the blue for the receiver screws and don't be shy. Go with red on the short ones though the epoxy makes them useful for alignment and appearance only. The unit fits and functions fine it is just not built to competition strength and that can be corrected.

I learned the hard way - take advance measures and you'll be fine.

Oops - a virtual repeat BUT worth repeating!!

I read a lot of posts here at MO & checked out several web sites for side saddles. They have their merits but most need pins or screws thru the receiver, problematic. Went with LES on this one. ACE hardware has industrial velcro pads exactly the same width as the ESSTAC cards. Clean receiver with IPA and trim to fit. 5 minute job, doesn't interfere with take down & cleaning. The ESSTAC cards hold shells tightly, hard to get them in these new ones.

Attachments

• DSC00485.JPG
    DSC00485.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,207
  • DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • DSC00488.JPG
    DSC00488.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 1,205
What would you guys opt for..

Im not sure If I want to get another mesa or try that Velcro system out. Seems to be hit or miss on looks for me.. But have been noticing the velcro saddles are becoming a bit more popular.

I have used both the tacstar and mesa on a 870 with great success. Just not sure what option I want to go with on the 930.

when I finally have the extra dough laying around I'll definitely be doing the mesa 8 shot shell carrier(mine holds 8 so I want a full reload available at my finger tips) ...

I don't mind Velcro cards, buy would prefer to reserve their use for a vest/rig instead and have a "permanently" attached holder on the receiver.

jmo

buyobuyo said:
http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-side-saddle-shell-holder.html

I'm considering buying this. Has anyone tried it? Does it work well? I'm a little concerned that it may stop the gun from functioning the same way that the Mesa Tactical side saddle does, since they're both held by the pins.

I am also looking at the soft velcro side saddles. What are the pros and cons when compared to a "hard" shell holder? I'll be using the 930 for a defensive shotgun class, so I'm guessing there will be plenty of "shoot one load one" and manipulating the shotgun.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard mb1911!

I prefer the velcro shell holders for the ability to carry multiple cards loaded and at the ready. It's much faster and easier to slap another card on the receiver than to take the time to reload a fixed side saddle. Multiple cards can be carried on your person in M4 mag pouches, attached to a belt, or vest. Granted, this type of set-up is ideal for training exercises when you are planning to go through a LOT of ammo. Probably won't make much difference vs. a fixed side saddle in a bump in the night situation though. I mean when you jump out of bed and grab your shotty, where would you hang your extra cards? :D

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Welcome aboard mb1911!

I prefer the velcro shell holders for the ability to carry multiple cards loaded and at the ready. It's much faster and easier to slap another card on the receiver than to take the time to reload a fixed side saddle. Multiple cards can be carried on your person in M4 mag pouches, attached to a belt, or vest. Granted, this type of set-up is ideal for training exercises when you are planning to go through a LOT of ammo. Probably won't make much difference vs. a fixed side saddle in a bump in the night situation though. I mean when you jump out of bed and grab your shotty, where would you hang your extra cards? :D
Wait, you don't have molle lined boxer shorts? duuuude, that so not tactical.

I got the GG&G sidesaddle. It's very, very similar to the one made by Mesa Tactical (I have the one for Rem 870), but the screws are different. Mesa screws some in two parts, the screw and the sheath for the screw that makes the whole thing resemble the pin that this set replaces. I don't know which way works better.

I am having trouble putting in and pulling out shells. The rubber strip on the inside seems quite strong. I have to push or pull really hard to get a round out, and it takes a second. If you also have the GG&G sidesaddle, let me ask you: do I need to break this in?

Mesa also has the same rubber strip construction, but loading and unloading is a lot easier.

Also, the cut out on the side of the holder ends up shearing a sliver off the shell each time I mightily shove it in.

Re: Velcro side saddle

While I don't have a 930 I'm sure the concept is still the same.... I bought my pre-cut velcro piece form 3gungear and it's been top-notch in the 6 months I've had it. I could've just went with industrial velcro and done it myself... but this one had all pin holes cut out already. They also have shell carts which are very comparable to skd's.... no fallen shells yet!

I run the ESSTAC cards on my 590.

$15 a card and a couple bucks worth of industrial strength Velcro from a local hobby store and it's been holding like a champ...

Good call i could have posted this in a more general section. Also glad you mentioned the pin holes being cut. I'll have to account for that.

I just ordered some from ESSTAC. they hold 7 rounds I think but may trim it to 6. Do they come with the hard/male side Velcro? So the receiver gets the fuzzy/female side stuck to it? Also any advantage to matching the size exactly vs just covering that side of the receiver with the Velcro?

Yes, the cards come with the hooks.

I just covered the receiver with the soft loop Velcro and didn't worry about trying to cut it to the size of the cards. This way there is a larger mounting surface than the card itself and you can attach reloads without looking and don't have to get them mated up perfect for it to hold...

I use the Aeres Gear/Raven Concealment cards on my 500. I got the "Combo Unit" that came with two cards and a belt attached "ModuLoader" for keeping an extra card handy. They feature a Mossy in their product pics so you know they're doing something right. :)

http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_ ... x&cPath=34

Shotshell%20Panel2%201260.jpg

aksavanaman said:
While I don't have a 930 I'm sure the concept is still the same.... I bought my pre-cut velcro piece form 3gungear and it's been top-notch in the 6 months I've had it. I could've just went with industrial velcro and done it myself... but this one had all pin holes cut out already. They also have shell carts which are very comparable to skd's.... no fallen shells yet!

I also have the 3GunGear on my Mav. I'm quite happy with it.

I've got a couple Esstac shot cards. So far I love them. I haven't put velcro on the reciever yet... still undecided about that.

Duane

Back