• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Sights

Hey Rob972,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I agree, steel post into an aluminum base probably wouldn’t make it past the Bureau of Ordnance. That said, I purchased the Skinner LoPro a couple of weeks ago. My main reason for wanting a rear sight was that my local range won’t allow shotguns on the rifle ranges without front and rear sights. I wanted to check my accuracy with slugs on the 50 yard range. I already had the XS Big Dot up front. My experience showed that this particular sight combo was pleasingly accurate. My best group of 5 KO slugs produced a 4” group from standing. Having got the “approved” shotty on the range I did cheat and take the Skinner off for a box of slugs. Using just the front sight I was good for about a 8” group. So for that distance the Skinner helped my accuracy. If I ever go on that hog hunt I’ve been talking about for years I would try it with the Skinner. For HD ranges I’ll stick with just the bead for the less restrictive sight picture. I do appreciate the versatility the Skinner adds to this platform.

Anyone find a good rear sight for a JM Pro? Breathing new life into this thread. Don’t want a red dot cause it puts me in another category although later I may add one. Use will be mostly tactical comps, and clays but I want to ring the steel at 100 yards if needed. Skinner sight doesn’t look bad but how’s it holding up? It’s that or the Truglo turkeys?

Which one...hmmm

http://www.truglo.com/firearms/turkey.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Willams Fire Sights. I have them on 4 turkey guns, one of which doubles as a HD gun.

Somewhat of a pain to install if you have never installed a set. Use locktite and do not overtighten the screws.

All metal, durable and bright.

Willams Fire Sights. I have them on 4 turkey guns, one of which doubles as a HD gun.

Somewhat of a pain to install if you have never installed a set. Use locktite and do not overtighten the screws.

All metal, durable and bright.

Thanks Mike. I’ll check those out. What model where they? So some reason I can’t see any pics on their site. Would you have any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I bought the XS Sights SHOTRAIL, Ghost Ring, & Banded Standard Dot Tritium - Mossberg 500, 590, Std Bbl. They dont make a banded front sight for the heavy barrels. which I have on my 930 security 7+1, but Ive read that people can still get the front band on a Mossy HB, its just a bit tight and you have to use all the included shims.
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this?ThumbnailHandler.jpg

I finally got the XS Sights on. The front sight took me an hour and a trip to the hardware store for longer screws.
Its.... ok. Itll do for now.
As soon as I get 30 posts and 30 days I'm going to see if I can buy a SPX barrel from the marketplace here.

I finally got the XS Sights on. The front sight took me an hour and a trip to the hardware store for longer screws.
Its.... ok. Itll do for now.
As soon as I get 30 posts and 30 days I'm going to see if I can buy a SPX barrel from the marketplace here.
Ugh. This made me think- its been 25 years since I mounted a set of those.

The shims can make it look "meh", and depending on the bolts you got, it may not be all that it could.

You can buy a strip of 1 inch flat bar for a couple of bucks, and cut solid shims that look (IMO) much better, especially with a shot of black paint. I used dome-head allen bolts (I don't remember the size, but 8-32 sticks in my mind). If the dome head is too wide for the channel on the wings, chuck the bolt in your hand drill, and use a file to knock back the edge until it seats well. You can use a regular socket head, but they stick up a bit much for my taste. Use cold blue or black paint to touch it up.

If you really want to lock a band in place, drill & tap for a 4-40 bolt through the band, from the bottom of the barrel. Use a dome-head allen bolt (generally a 1/8" is plenty long) and slather bolt & hole with red LocTite. Use a Dremel with a round grinding wheel to knock down the bolt stub in the barrel, then use a coarse polishing wheel to take it flush.

Ugh. This made me think- its been 25 years since I mounted a set of those.

The shims can make it look "meh", and depending on the bolts you got, it may not be all that it could.

You can buy a strip of 1 inch flat bar for a couple of bucks, and cut solid shims that look (IMO) much better, especially with a shot of black paint. I used dome-head allen bolts (I don't remember the size, but 8-32 sticks in my mind). If the dome head is too wide for the channel on the wings, chuck the bolt in your hand drill, and use a file to knock back the edge until it seats well. You can use a regular socket head, but they stick up a bit much for my taste. Use cold blue or black paint to touch it up.

If you really want to lock a band in place, drill & tap for a 4-40 bolt through the band, from the bottom of the barrel. Use a dome-head allen bolt (generally a 1/8" is plenty long) and slather bolt & hole with red LocTite. Use a Dremel with a round grinding wheel to knock down the bolt stub in the barrel, then use a coarse polishing wheel to take it flush.
Excellent suggestions! BTW I ended up using the same Allen bolts.
Thanks
Mike

Took the 930 to range this morning to sight-in the XS Shotrail ghost ring and front sights.
One of the XS front sight bolts broke off and went flying after the second shot.
Went home and just took it all off..
What a waste IMHO. Back to a flat-top and bead sight.
Although... my neighbor has an orange tritium Big Dot front sight made for mossbergs still in the package that he won a couple years ago.
He asked me if I wanted it last winter. Maybe I'll take him up on it and replace my tiny brass bead with it.
If I do I'll post pics..

For what it’s worth these are pretty decent sights as well. Depends on what you need them for. They come in two configs. White line and dot or a tritium night sight version.
DF98D5F0-90D6-40B5-A681-374B33C40490.jpeg

Took the 930 to range this morning to sight-in the XS Shotrail ghost ring and front sights.
One of the XS front sight bolts broke off and went flying after the second shot.
Went home and just took it all off..
What a waste IMHO. Back to a flat-top and bead sight.
Although... my neighbor has an orange tritium Big Dot front sight made for mossbergs still in the package that he won a couple years ago.
He asked me if I wanted it last winter. Maybe I'll take him up on it and replace my tiny brass bead with it.
If I do I'll post pics..
When I bought mine, Ashley Emerson had just sold XS to whatever the company that runs them now is. I'm going to say- cheap overseas production bolts.
I've ordered from these guys before, and been happy:
https://www.mutualscrew.com/department/socket-head-cap-screws-made-in-usa-19411.cfm

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement set of night sights for my 930SPX? I bought a set from LPA in 2011 when I bought the shotgun and they are getting pretty dim. I looked on Trijicon, XS, and Meprolight's websites and did not find anything. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hello. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but here it goes. I just bought a bnib 930 SPX yesterday. Everything looks good but I now read about sight issues with them and supposedly there are 3 different designs of sights. The front sight appears to be on the barrel pretty strait and the rail is centered and tight. I've never had much experience with the Lazer bore sighters that go in the bore to know how good they work. Seems the hight is ok but the Lazer beam is left and when I adjust it even all the way to the right it is still left slightly and seems like it hardly moved. I know I may need to shoot it and sight it from there. Any experienced opinions appreciated. What generation sight is it?

Attachments

• 20240210_185207.jpg
    20240210_185207.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240210_185253.jpg
    20240210_185253.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 3
Back