• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX Gas Spring Install Issues...

SPX blue heavy coil spring install

So the heavy (4) coil spring sitting inside the collar of the barrel was gouging the crap out of my mag tube. I lightly filed the tapered part of the spring to get it to stop but after I got back from the range today I noticed it was still scratching it. So I figured I would just take the coil spring out of the collar :eek: . Long story short, I can't get the damn thing back in. It is under so much pressure that I can't get it to compress and start threading the end cap back on. I got my buddy coming over tomorrow to help me put it back on, 4 muscles are better than 2. I saw a post I believe on this forum of someone showing how to orientate the spring when putting it back in but can't find it. I assume that you just put in the single ring, concave up, put in heavy four coil spring, compress and put end cap back on. Does this sound right?

I have combined your thread with the original one so please check page one for pictures on the order. Let us know how the install goes but it takes a lot of muscle.

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Gas Piston Springs: Black, Blue,

Resurrecting an old thread. Got a new 3rd generation 930 SPX (85360). Packing date on the side of the box is 01-08-2013.

The gas piston spring is blue in mine.

Not sure if the red spring we keep hearing about is actually calibrated for an SPX.

Have any SPX owners actually had their SPX (85360 / 85370 / 85371) come with a red gas piston spring?

Question on SPX 930 Gas Piston Housing

I am looking at the housing for the gas piston and it has 2 openings on the top of it, nearest to the bottom of the barrel. Inside, I can see what looks like a blue spring or a blue wound band of some sort.

This band does not seem to be symmetrical from one side to the other. My question is, should it be symmetrical and what is it that I am looking at here? I have attached photos of each side that hopefully will explain what I am talking about.

Any help here is much appreciated!

photo-1_zps9b0a6f86.jpg

photo-1_zpsd32e06f5.jpg

Re: Question on SPX 930 Gas Piston Housing

Well, I happened upon a topic by DHonovich and I see that it is the blue gas piston spring which has caught my attention.

Does the spring in the 2 pictures above look anything like any of yours :?:

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Gas Piston Springs: Black, Blue,

Awiner, I have a Home Security model that came with the blue spring, which has a 01-20-2011 date on it and I brought a SPX barrel which also has the blue spring. I could not tell you when Mossberg started using the blue spring across the board for semi-auto's

AlSharp, I have a Home Security and a SPX barrel and both has the blue springs like the one's you have shown, I think it is just the way the coiling appears through the openings.

Thanks Ben! I was hoping someone would come along and tell me that my spring hadn't sprung! :shock:

From what I gather, one should NOT try to remove this spring to clean? Yes, no??

AlSharp said:
Thanks Ben! I was hoping someone would come along and tell me that my spring hadn't sprung! :shock:

From what I gather, one should NOT try to remove this spring to clean? Yes, no??

You DON'T want to take the gas spring out. It is under a lot of tension.

THAT is what I thought that I had been reading about earlier. This board has so much awesome information, I often get sidetracked while researching an issue.

Thanks awiner!

Can some of you guys with the 930 SPX tell me if your blue, or any other color, spring is visible within your gas piston housing like mine is?

Water Monkey told me that he cannot even see his spring at any angle from the outside of the housing.

I'm helping a friend, who has not yet shot it and I want to make sure that it is safe before he does.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Great, awiner, but is it visible looking through the two openings in the gas piston housing like it is in the pictures above?

In this gun, as you can see in the pictures, the blue spring is not oriented symmetrically. It just drew my attention because we did not remember it being that way when we broke it down to clean it. It was when we were reassembling it that we noticed it as it is now.

That is why I would like a few guys to tell me whether theirs resembles the pictures above.

Yes, you can see the gas piston spring through those witness holes.

I'm a bit uncertain about the spring in your picture not having symmetrical windings. I'll have to check mine.

I do know if you search the forum you will see members that have used a socket and extension to align and rotate the spring into a more compatible position.

Best use for the gun lock I have ever see....

The guy I bought mine from tighten that ( the front or mussel end ) all the way down I had a hard time getting the barrel off he thought he had messed up the mag tube anyway what is the correct setting for the front side I know that all the way back to the barrel ban the gun will not cycle and becomes a single shot and will not extract the spend shell but not having see it it in right place hard to know if it is set right I am sure there is a torque range but can't find it?

I just found out that my 930 barrel spring was gouging the magazine tube when assembling/disassembling. I sanded and re-blued the tube a couple times before I broke down and called Mossberg. They were easy to deal with and sent a prepaid Fed-Ex shipping label to me. Ten calendar days later, it is back in my hands with a new magazine tube and a new spring/seal.

Well I royally screwed up. I just got my barrel back from Briley because they installed a choke for me (they chipped the hell out of the barrel too) and I decided to clean the entire shotgun before I reassembled it. Of course my dumb a$$ took the gas seal apart an the spring flew across the room. I found it and all the parts that go to it but I can't get it to go back together. I read this thread and I still couldn't do it. So I brought it to Shoot Straight here in Tampa where I bought it and let the gunsmith have a go at it. Of course he could not either and he promptly told me it would have to go back to Mossberg so they could do it. Here are my questions. Will they do it? Will they let me send it back to them? Do they have good customer service? If they will take it can I just ship the barrel or will they want the whole weapon? Thanks for any and all your help guys.

Back