• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch

The breacher barrels' increased muzzle diameter interferes with the outline of the front sight. Not good. It is a gimmick that really limits aftermarket sight availability. An XS Big Dot sight really helps a lot for that application though.

Honestly, I did not expect this answer. I was sure the breacher choke would have been removable. I would have assumed that it would make the market smaller, for no particularly good reason. Good info. Take care. Tom Worthington
Very late to this party, the breacher is not really a choke but a muzzle stand off with long vents (ports) for gas to exit if muzzle is held against door frame, a normal true barrel muzzle held that way may react the same as an obstruction/squib, a blown barrel. Unlike a chock (or most) this one is externally fitted, the end of the barrel is stepped down a little the stand off is then soldered on, some were press fit (heat standoff-cold barrel), intent was to strengthen muzzle end, add teeth to grip frame (at angle) and vent excess gas.

Last edited:
The breacher barrels' increased muzzle diameter interferes with the outline of the front sight. Not good. It is a gimmick that really limits aftermarket sight availability. An XS Big Dot sight really helps a lot for that application though.
Yes it does a little, interfere with sight picture, if you are looking for a rifle type picture. Look through it and shoot it like a shotgun. Also the breacher is normally a one job tool and shooting past contact is not it. The XS sight is a good mod for sure.

I bought my 590 Thunder Ranch for the furniture which is great.
Finding a replacement conventional 18.5" barrel was a trick though, but now I have the ghost ring sights it turns out I wanted.
With either barrel XS sights are great.

Back