• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Thunder Ranch

NO357

Copper BB
Hello everybody,
I've got a question about the mentioned shotgun. It's offered with a "door breacher" choke. Is that thing really a choke that could be unscrewed or is it fixed as a piece of the barrel? Thank you for your help!

I believe the breacher is part of the barrel and not something that can be changed out

I have a 930 Waterfowl. I bought a 24" turkey barrel then cut it down to 18.5" and tapped it for choke tubes.

The vent rub allows pretty much any sight option and the choke tubes add a lot if versatility.

You can add choke tubes to an 18" police/security barrel but there is not much steel left to reattach the bead.

To be honest the 24" length before I cut it down was a pretty nice length for most applications.

Yes, it's possible to cut off the breacher attachment. And even thread it for chokes.

However, it gets expensive to source that kind of work, even in the USA where the tools are made to do the task. Though, with as popular as shotguns are in Europe, there should be gunsmiths that are capable of the job.

Thank you for your replys. The problem is not to find somebody to do the work. It's just too expensive and won't be economic. But I'll see and maybe I get used to the door breacher, since that special shotgun costs as half as the regular 930 series guns. Anyway, maybe I have to chose another pump gun, because they ban the automatics...Work on that is in progress and nobody knows the final decision.

I'm sorry to hear about more bans. That upsets me.

They're doing it in Canada and trying in the USA here too.

People around the world should be asking themselves why.

I hunted and shot clays with a pump gun for many, many years before I bought my first semi auto. I still enjoy a good pump shotgun. They just get smother and better with time and just keep on going strong.

I've never felt hindered with one and in nasty conditions they can be more reliable and easier to maintain.

Honestly, I did not expect this answer. I was sure the breacher choke would have been removable. I would have assumed that it would make the market smaller, for no particularly good reason. Good info. Take care. Tom Worthington

I have not seen a Thunder Ranch model but on a Shockwave or a 500 with a breacher barrel the choke built into the barrel is an improved cylinder and the end of the barrel has an expanded device with gas ports which are part of the barrel. See attached picture of a breacher barrel and of a Shockwave breacher model. I would assume the Thunder Ranch model is the same design.

Regards

efbcf4b2d953993d3f1f5bc64f4aa6fb.jpg

wm_11598102.jpg

Here's a better picture of the business end of the barrel. On a Shockwave this barrel is 16.25 inches and on a 500 it's 18.5 inches.

opplanet-mossberg-500-12-gauge-security-barrel-breacher-18-5in-matte-90017-av-3.jpg

Honestly, I did not expect this answer. I was sure the breacher choke would have been removable. I would have assumed that it would make the market smaller, for no particularly good reason. Good info. Take care. Tom Worthington
The factory offerings are often welded on. This allows the OAL to remain 18".

on my patriot 590 model its 23 inches long and its not welded or screwed on it was machined out that way. Also the thick walled version even though its only a 590

the one in above picture does not look welded either. it looks machined but does have diff lug than mine of course
Welded or machined...symantics. For legal definitions of barrel length those are equivalent.

Shotguns are probably more likely machined, rifles are typically welded/pinned.

Didn't realize my comment would be the least bit controversial

Welded or machined...symantics. For legal definitions of barrel length those are equivalent.

Shotguns are probably more likely machined, rifles are typically welded/pinned.

Didn't realize my comment would be the least bit controversial
I dont see where it was, but if your referring to me I'm just looking for clarification. One min I think I know one thing the next someone is saying something opposite then i reply about it and at-least 1 person gets micro offended or some crap.

Same thing happens on fordsix.com. Was asking questions about dui distributor system and I pointed out they can be re-curved also and admin gets all bent out shape because he overthought things.

Its like every forum is turning into facebook or redit or some video game forum where everyone is trying to get their dig., Never can find out what is what without someone getting mad that you are even having any input. I'm sure I'm on the shit-list now so I'll slip back into darkness and let only the pro's speak.

All the nice old fellah's are dieing off :( . sign of the times i guess.

Rather than cutting the breacher end off :eek:, perhaps you could sell the barrel on ebay because I know they are somewhat valuable. Use the proceeds to get the barrel you need. My guess looking at the pic below is that the barrel thickness is thicker at the end, then turned down so the breacher end slides on, then it is brazed. That is my "guess". :) You could always make your own! :D

breachend.JPG breachsaw.jpg

Its like every forum is turning into facebook or redit or some video game forum where everyone is trying to get their dig., Never can find out what is what without someone getting mad that you are even having any input. I'm sure I'm on the shit-list now so I'll slip back into darkness and let only the pro's speak.

All the nice old fellah's are dieing off :( . sign of the times i guess.

I don't know where you got the idea we "were trying to dig". This forum has always struck me as "polite". ;) IF someone is spouting misinfo, I can see where a knowlegable member(s) may try to curb the spread in the name of safety.

I have noted that many of the other types of internet info sharing/communicating methods such as FB, TWit or RDit, there are a lot of haters/know-it-alls that should probably just keep their mouths shut. :rolleyes: Back in the day of face-to-face communication, these are the people that would get a punch in the mouth for their insolence... :D I wouldn't call that assault or bullying, but more teaching a (life) lesson. :) I especially despise the terms "boomer" or "fudd" and see them as a sign of lack of respect for your elders. (rant over ;) )

There have been a number of people that have passed away in the couple forums I regularly visit. Some will chronicle their illness, some just suddenly disappear with no explanation. :( The forum format doesn't work for many people because they expect instant information/communication. Just wait until China/Russia pop off several EMPs in the sky, taking down electric and communications. There won't be enough rope for these people to hang themselves in despair... :D I think we nice "old" fellas aren't dieing off so much as getting more ornery... :)

Thank you for your informations anyway. According to our laws in Germany it's very expensive to cut a barrel. A gunmaker has to do it and the gun needs to be shot at special government office. No way...
Another barrel costs nearly as much as the gun - if you find one. Gun parts are not allowed at Ebay here. We have much problems to get American gun parts, very few deliveries arrive.
So, I'll wait and see, until the gun I like arrives... Best regards!

Back