• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Flex featured in Shooting Illustrated

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
The Flex was featured on the cover of Shooting Illustrated's Jan 2013 issue and included a several page article! It began with the centerfold and ran another 4 full pages.

I couldn't find an online article on Shooting Illustrated's site so I'll describe it in my own words as best I'm able.

It began with the writers review and use from serving as a home defense firearm then switching parts within minutes to also duck the same day, then back to house duty afterwards. He spoke of tight fitting parts, positive steel on steel lock up and the R&D that got the firearm to that point.

The article quotes Linda Powell, director of OFMs public relations. She says the platform began as an idea, based on modularity and the success of the military's M4 rifles. The journey began in 2005 but a consumer application was questioned and they felt the market wasn't ready. So the idea was put on hold until the military expressed an interest in a modular platform that could be fit to the size of an individual soldier. OFM was well on the way with this idea already, but the military didn't go for it after it was introduced.

In 2009 since time and money had already been invested, OFM ressurected the Flex as an idea for civy consumption. They approached the firearm as a crossover option for both hunters and home defenders. Each group of shooter often have an interest in the other but don't necessarily desire purchasing another firearm. It isn't uncommon for folks who own a home defense firearm to want to try hunting as well, (myself included). FWIW, I have used my HD 590A1 to bird hunt with modest success. Conversely, hunters have an interest in firearms better suited to home duty than traditional 28" magnum chambered guns, just because it can fire a 3 1/2" shell doesn't mean you want to.

This is where the Flex fills a potential need or want or desire. The Flex system offers something like 300+ configurations based on the availability of aftermarket parts which can be purchased individually and for less than the cost of another firearm. Combo models are offered, such as the one tested and reviewed by the writer of the article in Shooting Illustrated. It was a model which featured an OD green receiver, 18 1/2" barrel with GRS, 6 position adjustable stock and black synthetic forend with recessed areas for firearm mounted lights with pressure switches. It also included a matte blue 28" vent rib barrel threaded with an Accu-Choke set and synthetic stock and forends in MossyOak of some sort. It also included 3 different recoil pads from .75" to 1.5" in thickness.

Other options include a variety of barrels from ported, to rifled, cantilevered scope bases, shorter stocks, Realtree and MossyOak camo, various forends, virtually anything available for any of OFMs traditional shotguns can be found available for the Flex.

I am writing this of my own voalition, I don't have a Flex, I'm not testing or reviewing a Flex, and I'm not in anyway paid or sponsored by OFM. I just found the article to be interesting and infomative as I have otherwise little knowledge of the Flex system aside fromwhat anyone else has seen on MO. Its a good read.

Good review.

Do you remember them saying anything about aftermarket support for things like pistol-grip fore ends or folding stocks?

I haven't found either one available for Flex specifically. I'm not personally in need of the folder, since installing one that was designed for the normal 500. But some people may not want to remove the Flex adapter like I did.

Back