• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg MMR Hunter Tactical AR15 5.56 .223 Troubleshooting

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Any issues, concerns or problems you may have with your mossberg mmr hunter and tactical ar15 5.56 .223; this is a thread for troubleshooting.

Re: Mossberg MMR Hunter Tactical AR15 5.56 .223 Troubleshoot

I just bought a Mossberg MMR and I've noticed that the casings get hung up on the edge of the stock 30-round magazine when I use Monarch .223 ammunition. They're cheap rounds, but I'm still a novice with rifles and I've only used it for target shooting. I don't have this problem with Remington rounds, but I would like to use the cheap stuff on the range. Is there any easy solution to this problem?

Welcome aboard.

Your best bet is to pick up a Magpul PMAG or two. The polymer body of the PMAGs will be a lot more forgiving with ammo of various specs...

Good evening, I have no problems what so ever with my hunter!! However i do have a question, my mossy clip is a 5 rounder, i have an extra colt clip that holds 10 rounds and is dimensionally, the same size as the mossy, i see a stamp of 5rd with a rivet by it, could i drill out this rivet remove the trash that accumalates inside the clip and have another 10 rd clip??

Makes sense to me, wondering if anyone else has made the mod by chance.

Thanks, Hayman

I have a problem with aftermarket sights on the quad rail. I tried to install magpul MBUS sights. The rear sight worked just fine, but when I installed the front sight, it wouldn't tighten down. I tried it on another gun and it worked fine. It acts like the rail is too narrow. The front sight fits snug in the rear sight position, above the charging handle.

Anyone else experience this?

I am new to owning AR style rifles. I am the new owner of an MMR Hunter, how do I disassemble the barrel guard to install a quad rail?

Welcome aboard!

The MMR Hunter handguard is free-floated, possibly off of a proprietary barrel nut.

Do you already have the new quad rail, is it also a free-float system, and did it come with a replacement barrel nut?

It is a free floating quad rail and it "reuses " the factory barrel nut. I'm just curious if there is a break down diagram or a step by step to removing the factory guard? I already have the all in one tool

No worries,

Some free float handguards are secured to the barrel nut via a a series of screws. Your replacement quad-rail probably uses this type of set-up. The MMR factory forend is likely threaded directly onto the barrel nut. Here's a video that'll show you the general idea. Fast forward to about 5:15 to see how the handguard threads on...

Brownells: Installing A Free Float Handguard

Removing the handguard is going to be very difficult without a vise and a decent upper receiver vise block. You will also need a free-float barrel nut wrench for removing/replacing the barrel nut. Not sure if your replacement barrel nut came with shims for proper gas tube alignment or not, but they may be required as well. If you don't have the required tools, it may be worth calling a local gunsmith to see what they'd charge for the job...

It is a free floating quad rail and it "reuses " the factory barrel nut. I'm just curious if there is a break down diagram or a step by step to removing the factory guard? I already have the all in one tool
I hope this help's all AR 15 free floated or with a Delta Nut are The same Her is aPix of a AR apart hope it helps You will need some tools DD

Took my MMR Tactical to the range yesterday for its first time. Noticed after about 150 rds that the quad rail had excessive play in it than when I first handled it. Being free float it doesn't effect accuracy or operation but I am wondering if this is normal? Or if not, how to tighten it back up? Thanks!

The handguard shouldn't be loose after shooting.

I know the MMR Hunter handguards are threaded onto the barrel nut, but I haven't seen any detailed images of the MMR Tactical barrel nut set-up. If you don't see any screws to tighten around the outside of the handguard where it connects to the barrel nut, then it likely threads on the same as the hunter models. If that's the case you should simply be able to hand tighten the rail. Unscrewing it further and adding a bit of blue Loctite to the threads will help with a more secure fitting going forward...

Back