• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Model 479

Just picked one up. Can't find much information on them? Rifle looks good, better than the Remington built Remlin 336s. I like the Ballard type rifling too rather than "Microgroove". I have yet to shoot it but heading to the range this morning with some handloads. Gun shop I got the rifle at tried selling me a box of 30-30 rounds for $46!

I have no way to post pics but can send some "Text" via my I-Phone. Looks just like a 336 clone. Shot it this morning and with a 150 grain JRN hand load and H332/35.1 grains. Velocity averaged 2223 fps with a 3 shot group of 1.071" at 75 yards and the worst group being 2.124". I tried some loads with a 110 grain JHP carbine bullet, the best they did was 2.5" at 75 yds.

If you have an iPhone & you can take a picture, if you click the icon above (in the editor) which looks like a little postcard with mountains on it, you can upload a picture from your phone.

When the OP said he had a “text” he could send I assumed he meant a link (in text form.)

Unfortunately I suffer under nearly 40 years of PC experience and only about five years with iPhone.

nothing is intuitive yet. Sometimes I still try to android. LOL

Worse is going back to my android phone, which I still save for some purposes.

Been away for a while. Had eye surgery a few days ago and now my old I-7s phone has taken a dump. Prior to surgery, I started getting light primer strikes. So far it's happened with Winchester LRPs, Fed 210s and BR-2s. I removed the idiotic crossbolt safety and they still occur. Some rounds have required three FP hits before the round fires? I haven't taken the bolt apart.....yet. The light strikes have occurred with RP and Winchester brass that has been fired a number of times but were annealed recently and the problem persists. I'm positive the primers are being seated to the bottom of the pocket. This rifle is extremely accurate, especially with Poly coated cast gas checked bullets over H332 powder. Best group to date is .473" at 100 yds. Velocities in the 1640 fps range.

I'm done with this POS. New pin still causing light strikes (4 out of 12 rounds). Not a primer problem, same primers work fine in other rifles. I've stripped the bolt, cleaned and polished everything to no avail. Hammer spring is fine. All misfires take a second strike before firing. Yes, I've ensured the primers are bottomed out in the primer pockets. Problem occurs with Winchester, Federal and RP brass.

Back