• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Owners Forum Troubleshooting...

@old mossy and @Ernst , if you try to click on the default style again in the bottom left corner of the page, there are two options for the default style.

One says :use default style

The other says: Defualt Style*

(try the 2nd option if you are trying to go back to a similar style as the older one. It's not exact, but try that. )

Thanks John, been out working and just came in and checked the site and it apprers to have been updated once again.

Might I suggest that when this update is finished someone gives an overview of the changes so everyone is back on the same page. Certainly appreciate the need for an system update but I suspect many, like myself, are confused by these interim versions.

Maybe a thread that is titled "Update Complete" and explains the changes and associated improvements.

This is such a good forum and hope we don't lose people or their interest over these recurring days of confusion.

Regards

@John A.> if you try to click on the default style again in the bottom left corner of the page, there are two options for the default style.
John A.>One says :use default style
John A.>The other says: Defualt Style*
John A.>(try the 2nd option if you are trying to go back to a similar style as the older one. It's not exact, but try that. )

I tried that a couple of minutes ago, the menu says:

Style chooser
Use default style

But no matter what I choose the label at the top of the page says:
Dimension
XenForo2 theme by Xenfocus

---Which is a sickening brownish purple banner. But the site is readable.

My eyes thank you for the dark theme!!

Looks like the default is the dark theme which may be throwing some people off.

1664574515278.png

Personally I like the dark theme but I know many prefer the light background.

@old mossy and @Ernst , if you try to click on the default style again in the bottom left corner of the page, there are two options for the default style.

One says :use default style

The other says: Defualt Style*

(try the 2nd option if you are trying to go back to a similar style as the older one. It's not exact, but try that. )
Thank you John. That kinda worked for the white letters on white background. I'll wait for the pros to do their thing.

Ok, I logged in on my home computer (desktop) and it has returned to the new dark style and the style chooser button is now back.
I have two options, dimension dark, and dimension.
I changed it to dimension and it now had the light/white background and had a brown color at the top/bottom.
However there is a "customize" button next to the style chooser button that is only there with dimension and not with dimension dark.
Using dimension, I was able to change the banner color from brown to a dark grey. I was also able to select the option to make the forum width fit the browser.
Everything is now much easier to read. I actually prefer the white background to the dark background. The dark backgrounds mess with my eyes.
However with the dimension style, the mossberg forum logo is gone and it just the forum software name.

Yeah I like the Dimension Dark for overall look and it's easy on the eyes. But Dimension is def more readable at the moment.

For the time being while we get this snafu sorted....
If you use dimension you have an option to change the background colors.
Click that little button up top.
Screenshot_20221001-201114~2.png

And this new popup will pop up...
Screenshot_20221001-201147.png

Click on one of the 3 colors. And save.

Is it just me or does Dimension have smaller font than Dimension Dark? Either way its still usable.

Question for Administrator - happened to be looking at the "likes" numbers under the members section and noticed that most everyone had "0 points." Could you explain what this point system is for?

I know in other forums if you get a certain number of points or strikes you get banned for a period of time. I've never heard of anyone on our forum getting banned which IMO speaks to the quality and helpfulness of the members.

Just curious! Getting use to the new format. Is the "Lurker" designation going to disappear soon?

Regards

At the bottom of posts, there is a thumbs up/like button if someone "likes" something you posted, they can do that. Years ago, folks used to just say "+1", but the like button is easier.

I'm unsure if the old post count and "likes" are going to transfer over or not? That is yet to be seen.

Prior to having zenforo, the board used "rep points", which were also not transferred over during a prior switch.

Myself, those aren't important to me because the good info still exists. It's just a little "rewards system" for good info.

There have been members here who have been banned. There have been several actually. But we try not to do that unless someone just really needs to find somewhere else to spend their time and stop disrupting everyone here.

Don't stress about getting banned. You're in very good standing here Ernst and have done nothing to even raise an eyebrow. For that, thank you!

As for the "lurker" status. That's something else that I don't know about. Zenforo (the company who makes this software) is supposed to be looking into that as to whether it will transfer over or not.

It looks like all is working here except when I log in the banner(which is much larger) says "Dimension" and not the Mossberg logo.
I'm using Dimension with the button showing. If that makes sense.

I noticed that we can purchase account upgrades. There are 2 different prices, but there’s no description of what these upgrades might provide.

I'm unsure if the old post count and "likes" are going to transfer over or not? That is yet to be seen.

As for the "lurker" status. That's something else that I don't know about. Zenforo (the company who makes this software) is supposed to be looking into that as to whether it will transfer over or not.

Here is a little empirical analysis I've done.
1. When I post a message the "Messages" counter does increase by 1. "Messages" count can be seen by hovering over user icon.
2. I "Liked" the last post above by @John A. and his "Reaction score" counter incremented by ONE from 13,033 to 13,034.
3. When I was Sysop for the Atlanta Mac Users Group back in the early '90s, the BBS system allowed us to set a table that
"ranked" users by post count.
For instance:
1 - 50 posts could be RED
50 - 100 GREEN
100 - 1000 SILVER
1000 - more GOLD

AMUG did not use such a table to rank post numbers, but I imagine that the same type of rankings could be assigned here to dupe the old MOSSBERG OWNERS system.

DISCLAIMER: I am not on the staff of MOSSBERG OWNERS and these are conclusions from my experimentation and assumptions.

Scoop - Super Lurker

At the bottom of posts, there is a thumbs up/like button if someone "likes" something you posted, they can do that. Years ago, folks used to just say "+1", but the like button is easier.

Prior to having zenforo, the board used "rep points", which were also not transferred over during a prior switch.

Myself, those aren't important to me because the good info still exists. It's just a little "rewards system" for good info.

There have been members here who have been banned. There have been several actually. But we try not to do that unless someone just really needs to find somewhere else to spend their time and stop disrupting everyone here.

Don't stress about getting banned. You're in very good standing here Ernst and have done nothing to even raise an eyebrow. For that, thank you!

John, thanks for the info. I was just curious about the new info under the members section that was being presented. Us "non moderators" don't have the insights to the changes like you and simply must explore. I had hoped at some time in the furture there would be a "what's new" thread posted which would summarize all the new changes and new proceedures. The new color designations when you log in vice simply viewing the forum is annoying. When you first bring the forum up it has the dark format but as soon as you log in it changes to the "brown / tan" background and the Mossberg Forum logo disappears. Certainly can live with it if that's the way it is but annoying.

I for one, like the feedback for folks hitting the "like" button at the bottom of each post. Gives us some feedback that the information we've presented was both well received and helped someone else out. So I'm all in favor of keeping that option and hope more folks would use it if the info helps.

Understand the old caliber designation which were assigned to folks as they achieved higher levels of participation. If that's not still possible then OK but for everyone to be called a "LURKER" again IMO is not a helpful term. I know a couple of other folks have raised this issue. I'd hope we could either lose or replace that designation.

John, I wasn't worried about getting banned but just curious again what the points designation by each member was actually used for. I only saw one person who had a single point.

Regards

There are other options besides lurker.

For that matter, we can create one that is called essentially anything we want but I myself do not know how to assign them based on whatever parameters (post count, likes or whatever) except on an individual basis. Like, example I could put your account with a super cool dude banner, but I don't know how to do that in a blanket statement for all old timers that have been members here for years.

Far as I know, zenforo is supposed to be looking into it. All of that is not stuff that I normally fool with. I would expect that they could fix that back in knowing that the posts counts are still logged, just not showing like they used to be.

Most of what I do is go through new account/registers to keep out spam accounts (and there are about as many spam accounts that registers as actual members and real people trying to sign up) so I tend to go through that every single day of the week. That consists of looking at the username, the IP location of where in the world their provider is, seeing if it's a dynamic spoofed vpn address, or something just doesn't look right about it, etc.

I'll also fix stuff for when people register and mispell their username and reset passwords and such.

But, I myself don't get too deep into the behind the scenes technical stuff. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about any of that.

While I'd love to be able to answer everyones questions about that, I'll have to defer to those with the keys to the door and pay the bills to handle that.

It looks as though the lurker status is set by default. The post count configuration we used didn't get checked.
Hows that look now?
Everyone should have their user title back.

Back