• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- New owners area...

Picked one up for less than $250 at an academy sports and outdoors (hot deal). I'm semi familiar with the 702 platform because I owned a 702 plinkster rifle. But after 100 rounds I had 1 FTF on a crimped rim which wasn't the guns fault. But since I've added some paint. I'm wanting a cheap optic, I've owned a red dot but I'm thinking a compact scope. Should I order risers or will basic rings be wide enough for the flat top rail? Go easy on me I'm new to this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 108
got my 715t i have the one with the carry handle heard this things a pain in the ass to sight in a scope so i need some tips on how to do this thanks :?

I have the carry handle as well.
Decided to put on this Leapers http://www.dlairgun.com/Dot-Sights/Leap ... 3068W.html
Attached it using the supplied top rail adapter.
Took it to the range and at 25yds it was about 4" left of bull and an inch low.
Within 5 minutes it was shooting dead centre.
Took it out to 50 yds, made the necessary elevation adjustment (about 8 clicks if I remember) and it has been bang on ever since.

I've been sneaking around on the site since my wife decided she needed a .22 similar to my AR. (She saw me having too much fun, I guess.) We are both active gun owners/collectors. I'm retired Cowboy Action Director, she's current Cowboy Fast Draw Director at our club.

We went shopping (oh darn!) and checked them all out. She decided the Mossberg fit her needs the best. We examined the different offerings, and she went with the Flat Top model. In her words, "The carry handle is cheap and cheesy." (No offense to those that prefer it!)

Funny thing is, she likes the looks of the carry handle, so one was added to the 'essential mods' list. But I think it was the shorter barrel/flash hider that helped sell her on the Flat Top. I had just had the barrel of a sniper rifle threaded for a muzzle brake, so she knew the added cost having that done would bring to the project.

Anyway, the purchase was made, and room was made in the safe. We started gathering all the parts to mod her gun into the 'AR' she wanted. I took pics along the way, and did a write-up of the procedure. I'll post it when I figure out exactly how to. We know guns much better than we do computers!

WB

I just got a 715t flat top. Will try to get pics up pretty soon. Happy I found this forum but it seems pretty dead.

Welcome aboard.

This particular sub-forum was one of our most active, but has been rather slow in the past few months. My guess is that with almost no availability of .22lr ammo there's not much to talk about lately. Stick around and I'm sure it'll pick back up when ammo supplies increase. Let us know if you have any questions...

Yes, Welcome! And congrats on finding a flat top! It has been a bit quiet of late. Like Lazy Eyed Sniper said, it may have something to do with the lack of .22 ammo (a topic for another thread!), or maybe all those that are lucky enough to find it are all out shooting. Or maybe, now that the weather is finally getting nice for the northern half of the country, folks are less inclined to sit inside? In any event, you are here now, so we have one more! Can't wait to see your pics.

Thanks guys. With all the talk I hear about .22lr shortage I feel very fortunate that the Bass Pro near me always has 50rd and 100rd boxes of various brands always in stock. :) I will be hitting the range in a couple days so I'm looking forward to trying out the gun. Only question I have is how to sight in the red dot sight? Maybe you guys can explain how or point me to some good tutorial vids? Shot many guns before but the sighting in was always done by the owner. This is my first gun purchase so now I gota figure that stuff out for myself.

Well figured I'd share a little update on my first trip to the range for the few people on here lol. I started with 3 full 25rd mags of Federal 525rd bulk 36gr HP. Had FTEs every 4-5 rounds. A couple times I managed to get 6-7 in a row and other times I'd only get 2-3 between FTEs/stovepipes. Barska red dot is complete garbage, managed to adjust it somewhat but it wouldn't maintain my adjustments. Combine that with the fact that I don't really know how to properly sight in anything and that leaves me with very little I can say about the guns accuracy. I think I got it perfectly zeroed in at one point but after a couple rounds it was off again... So I'll have to save up for something better. Shot 10rds of CCI Stingers very rapidly and wow what a difference. It felt smoother and a bit more powerful. No issues at all with those 10 rounds. Only had a 50 round box of it so I didn't want to go through it too quick so I didn't shoot anymore of those. I know 10rds of CCI vs 75rds of Federal isn't really an even comparison but I couldn't shoot 10 straight rounds of Federal without a jam like I did with the Stingers and I noticed the gun seemed to just operate a little smoother with the Stingers if that makes any sense.

Overall kinda mixed feelings about the gun so far. All the FTEs/stovepipes are pretty discouraging but I'm feeling optimistic that the issue can be overcome without too much trouble. If I'm forced to run nothing but the more expensive ammo it will cut my range time down by a lot, which would really suck as I would like to make it a weekly thing. I feel I may have over oiled it a little bit as well which may or may not have contributed to the FTEs; I don't have enough experience/knowledge to be able to know but I know you're not supposed to use too much oil. I'm going to give the gun another good cleaning before hitting the range again and try to find some other types of ammo to try. Someone said in the ammo thread to oil the cheap ammo like Federal bulk and that it made a night and day difference for them with their jamming/fte/stovepipe/ftf issues I noticed the Federal felt and looked a tiny bit dry in comparison to the CCI so maybe that would help. The Stingers have kind of a polished look to them. It would suck to have 450rds of ammo I cant use.

Still dead on here lol but I'll give one final update before heading to the S&W forums. After more cleaning, the gun still stovepipes and FTEs like a mother****er. It began having some trouble feeding correctly which was probably due to the terrible mag design. Tried some different ammo with slightly better results but still not great. Remington target ammo (unsure of specs, yellow box, didnt have any info on it) shot great. No malfunctions but that ammo is expensive as hell (more than CCIs). CCIs shoot great as well. Tried Federal hollow points- garbage. Federal 40gr solids- better but still bad and a few winchesters which wouldnt feed or eject at all. Overall very disappointed. Combine the ridiculous ammo pickiness with the time it takes to dissemble and clean... No thanks. Sold it already for 20 bucks more than I paid for it and will be buying an M&P 15-22 tomorrow.

One positive I will say is that once I got it sighted in it was extremely accurate and felt great to shoot when it wasn't malfunctioning. I was consistently making 1-2" groups and I am not in any way a very experienced shooter nor was I really taking my time with each shot.

Last edited:
These like hi-velocity ammo, period. Once mine were broken in they ran better (since sold). The mags have a certain procedure to loading them so them feed properly. Polishing the bolt where it rubs the receiver may have helped a little bit.

I noticed both of mine (carry handle and flattop) ran very dirty--more so than the other .22s in the fleet so cleaning and maintenance are necessary on a regular basis, maybe even at the range...

The HP Federals were 1280fps and the 40gr solids were 1240fps. Is that considered high velocity or standard? The Remingtons were great but I dont know anything about them other than they were expensive... Such pickiness with ammo is ridiculous. 400rds should have been sufficient for break in. If the gun runs dirty thats even more reason why the whole design and difficulty involved in taking it apart is just a total fail. I was extremely optimistic when purchasing this gun and decided to follow the positive reviews rather than the negative ones and I was really let down. Its also a shame that Mossberg wont stand behind their product and help owners out or design better parts for the rifle. But it is what it is. I got my m&p and can't wait to try it out.

Just picked one up. Local Pawn shop had a sale that included red dot scope and a box of ammo. Zero issues, ran about 300 rounds through it so far. Great for my son and wife to use. Lightweight and comfortable for them to shoot. Ammo cheap but very hard to find.

Back