• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- New owners area...

Re: Just got a new tactical .22

As excited as you probably are to try it, I would highly recommend reading though the manual it came with and strip/clean it per the instructions. I have had guns that were pretty clean as bought new and some had machining oil and manufacturing dirt in them. Safety first and it will give you a chance to familiarize yourself with it and make sure everything is in order.

After that, have at it and post some pictures and results from the range.

Oh, and welcome aboard, you found a great site!

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll go ahead and break it down and clean it. Can't wait to get to shooting this, looks to be a blast!

If you haven't, you should check in on the new members welcome area.

.22 semi auto rifles and a bunch of cans and water jugs is about as much fun as you can have on the cheap that I know of.

Well, you CAN clean it and shoot it in the same day - really, not kidding!! :D

So I'm running into an issue with the mag. I can only get 11 bullets to load. I think I remember reading that this seems to be common.

Re: First plinkster

what was the name and number to the gunstore if u dont mind me asking im looking for a new 590

Try slapping the heel of the mag against the palm of your other hand.
This might re-adjust the rounds as they stack inside the mag.

Hello everyone,

Hope this post finds everyone well! I am a new owner of a 715t as of yesterday. This is my first rifle, as I have always been a handgun type of person, but I saw the price tag of 200 and decided to give this a try. I took it on the range today and was a bit impressed by it but felt left down on other aspects. The reason of this post is to see if I am doing something wrong. My first problem was the magazine feeding. It seems as if something is misaligned in the gun as the lever to chamber the round just pushes the round down and won't allow the bullet to chamber in the barrel. I did some searching on the internet (and here as well) and saw some people having similar problems. So I took apart the mag and bent the spring a bit. This helped a bit but the first round did not chamber without me pushing up the nose of the round. After that, it cycled through 10 rounds fine. It was just the first round. I have the 25 round mag but only loaded it up to 15 once and had multiple jams, so i stuck with only putting 10 in each.

Another question, I picked up this scope for it:

http://www.tasco.com/products/index.cfm ... ductID=692

but I am not sure how to install it. The brackets that came with it have the screws going underneath the rail I assume, but on my rifle it has a picatinny I believe it's called. I have the rifle with the carry handle and the rail above that. Would that scope work with my rifle?

Thank you all in advance for your help and hope to interact more in the near future.

Re: New rifle owner 715t

Hi Tony,

I'm a newbie here too. You have lots of looks but no replies, so I figured I'd start things off.

By the looks of your scope, it should sit on top of the rail that is on top of your carry handle. You'll need to loosen the attachment scews a bit so the brackets can "grab" the side of picatinny rail, just align the scew bodies so they rest inside the picatinny grooves, tighten up the mounting screws and get her sighted in!

From my research, I've learned that the ammo you use is very important. I've shot Remnington Goldies through mine with some FFE issues, not many. Some of the strings suggest using CCI, maybe try a few different brands and see what works the best. One thing, use copper tipped and not lead bullet types.

I found that after loading 10 or 11 rounds, the first bullet, which would be at the bottom of the mag, hangs up on the left side of the mag at the bottom slit (for lack of a better term). If I push it in with a fingernail and continue loading, I can get all 25 in with little trouble.

Some of the strings suggested loading up the magazine and letting it sit full to condition the spring. Mine is doing just that until I get out again.

Check out the string "show off your Mossberg tactical .22" and look at the photos of what some of the other folks have done, you can see how the scopes mount on the carry handle.

Hope that helps a little.

welcome to a great site and a great crew.

Thank you trp.

I do not think it is an ammo issue. I have CCI mini mags and winchester rounds that shot today. it was just loading the first round that I had an issue with. It really is hard to explain with out being able to show it. i may just end up buying the 10 rd mag. Is the 10 rd for the 715 the same as the 702?

I would suggest polishing the feed ramp with some 800 grit sandpaper. I just did this recently to all the metal surfaces that touch. This made all those metal surfaces feel like silk. This may help that first round find its way into the chamber.

The scope in the link has a rimfire dovetail mount.
It won't 'widen' enough to fit the Weaver/Picatinny mount on your Mossberg.
You'll either have to buy new mounts...or return the scope that has Weaver mounts.
As to the ammo issue...it may just be a break-in issue.
When I purchased my 715 Flattop in the spring I was getting 5 or 6 FTF (failure to feed) with every mag and at least couple of stovepipes.
After swapping out the magazine (they are known to have issues) and buying a 2nd new mag...and cleaning and lightly lubing the action I now have over 2000 rounds through it without a single failure.

I believe the 10 round mags for the 702 and the 715 are the same. At least the ones my wife and I have appear to be the same. Still no range time, tugging at the bit to get out there but have to wait for the yea/na vote from the membership.
Almost forgot, welcome to the site!

Re: Bought her the Tactical for Christmas!!!

Have you fixed the issue yet?

hello all i'm new to the site, i just purchased a mossberg 715t this afternoon so haven't done anything with it accept looking at it every 10 mins or so lol going to take it out this weekend anybody have any tips i bought a red dot site for it. i had read some reviews that said the iron sites were kinda bad. but if anybody has any tips i would love to hear them before going out the first time might avoid some problems thanks.

i have some advice...hope and pray you don't have to send it back...and then back again like i did...

if it seems to start to have the bold "lock" open, send it back...don't mess around...it needs a new "trigger housing assembly" or trigger group...

if it works, have fun...even when mine was not working right, it was a blast to shoot...

Hello All:

New member here from CA. Just purchased the 715 for my 12y/o son as an X-Mas present, so I can't play with it just yet. But glad I found this forum and already planning upgrades for scope and accessories. (I bought the model with the hand rail A1 style). Would love to have the 25rd magazines, 'cause they look cool, but here in CA that's a touchy subject. So, I'll stick with the 10's for now. I'll report more once we get to take it out shooting. Nice advantage is that the local indoor range will allow us to shoot there, so it'll be a perfect way to spend rainy days and get him started :) Once he gets comfortable, we will move outdoors and increase the target distance.

Cool Forum, glad to be here.

Congrats on the new rifle!

Gotta give you a +1 rep for being a great dad and introducing your son to shooting sports. You guys are gonna have tons of fun and make memories that'll last a lifetime. Keep us posted after he gets to unwrap it and be sure to post up some pics. Let us know if you have any questions along the way...

New 715T owner with a couple of questions.

Hi. Today I purchased my very first firearm at 59 y/o. After looking at a few guns I had narrowed my search down to either the 715T or the Sig 522. I bought the 715T mostly on price and looks. I do have a couple of questions. 1) What is the best ammo to use in this gun? 2) Is there anything I should do to the gun before I take it out and fire it for the first time? I plan on being a responsible gun owner and get proper training. I will also be depending on my Son In Law to help me out as he is a long time gun owner. Any suggestions to help out this complete noob will be greatly appreciated.

Back