• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- Optics

Re: mounting red dot to Handle rail

x2
I bought the carry handle version specifically to improve my shooting with iron sights.
At 50m I can shoot fairly rapidly and still keep all shots within a 2-3 circle.

Hello,
Just bought a new 715 and I'm looking for optics.
Not sure if I want a scope or red dot.
And what brand is the best?
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Kliph. :)

Re: Optics

Best: Aim Point, Trijicon, Eotech

Affordable: Primary Arms, Bushnell, Burris....

Best is a relative term based on Budget. :D

Type of rings needed to attach optic?

I'm new to the tactical weapons. I have an nice little scope on an old .177 crossman air rifle that I want to put on my tactical .22. What type of attachment rings/clamps will I need to purchase for this?

Thanks!

Re: Type of rings needed to attach optic?

That depends on your scope's tube diameter.

Most commercially available scope rings are made in either 1" or 30mm ring sizes. There are also rimfire specific rings which are likely what you will need. Your best bet is to measure the diameter of the current rings on your Crossman and find a set of the same size that are made to mount on a picatinny rail. Once you get your measurement, post it up here and we can help you find a set that'll work if you'd like...

Thanks for your help! Looks to be 1inch tube.

Attachments

• Scope1.jpg
    Scope1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Scope2.jpg
    Scope2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,108

No problem, glad to help.

There are so many options out there it's silly, but there are some pretty good deals to be had. Check out CDNN Sports. I've ordered from them plenty of times before and they're great. They have 1" rings from Target Sports as low as $2.99...

Target Sports Scope Rings

They also have the 715t mags in stock...

Mossberg 715 Tactical 22lr 25rd Factory Mag w/Loader

Awesome! Will any of those rings fit on my 715T? They look very similar to the rings that came on the crossman, except the crossman ones don't fit.

Sorry for all the ignorance here- I haven't dealt with scopes prior to this

The air rifle rings use a smaller mount and base compared to that on your 715t. You will be fine with any of the 1" weaver or picatinny style rings in the link...

Great! Thanks again. I'm sure I'll be popping up in here every now and then until I get comfortable with my gun

We'll be here if you need us.

Keep us posted on your progress...

rcm1201 said:
I'm new to the tactical weapons. I have an nice little scope on an old .177 crossman air rifle that I want to put on my tactical .22. What type of attachment rings/clamps will I need to purchase for this?

Thanks!

Keeping safety at a high priority and you'll have the best shooting fun there is...even in your "later" years ;)

Which rifle do you have ?...with or without carry handle ?
I use low profile Weaver rings on the carryhandle but I needed a 3/4"riser for the flat-top.
High profile rings would work , likely, but I liked the "looks"better with the riser.

I have the one with the carry handle. Rings just arrived today so I'll be putting them on tomorrow

Re: A decent inexpensive red dot scope????

My observation - the less you spend, the bigger the dot = the shorter the effective range. There may be exceptions but...

My low buck favorite is Truglo reflex, mid range closed tube Vortex SPARC. I cannot afford the big buck scopes and sights. I look hard for bang for the buck and it's out there.

I'll check those out, thanks. I've never had one. which do you guys think targets better and is more accurate, the open or closed sight. I would think it would be easier to target through an open sight but not for sure. If either of you have the 715t how is the carry handle peep sight? After taking it apart it definitely doesn't look like the sturdiest gun built out there :) Thanks again for the info, I'm hoping to answer some questions about it for myself soon. How did I let my girl talk me into selling my house in the woods to move to the city with her? I used to be able to step out my back door and shoot! I guess it has saved me a lot of $ in ammo though :) Have a good one fellas

I can't speak of the models listed above but I like the Bushnell TRS-25 that I have on a Ruger 10/22. It's a 1x tube model with 11 brightness settings and nice positive clicks on the adjustment knobs. Price should be right around $100. The dot is very good in daylight but doesn't appear perfectly round in darkness. It has held up fine to the lower power of a 22LR ammo and has cut the group sizes in half for my son since he doesn't have to line up iron sights and his eye. He practices iron sights on a 22 lever action.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

I prefer the open design of reflex sights because they allow for true two eyes open shooting...

I picked up a BSA red/green/blue dot sight at Cabela's for 39.99, got it sighted in, works great!

Back