• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- What ammo you using?

How do you store your 22LR ammo??

I dont have a ton of ammo yet, But I've got a decent start i think. I'm a little bit torn on how to store it for a SHTF type of situation. I do believe you should use some type of an ammo can, but other than that, I'm torn on weather to keep them in there boxes, or the case gard plastic containers, or just dump in rounds and let them just fill it up. Here's what I have so far....

2012-11-07_14-45-37_719.jpg

I have 6 of the red case gards, and there are 100 rds in each one. then the 50 rd boxes are stacked neatly and they our 4 high currently, plus I have my 25 rd mag full, and 5 of the 10 rd mags full, with more mags on the way.

"If you don't have enough ammo to load all your mags you need to buy more ammo. If you have more ammo than you can load in your mags you need to buy more mags"

Re: How do you store your 22LR ammo??

looks good to me. I just keep them in thier boxes or in whatever. You can probably find atleast one 22lr in all my rigs,packs, rooms, at work , desk, a pocket.......

the only thing i wouldnt do is open all the boxes and dump them in loose, it would be good to be able to grap a box of 250 100 50 or what ever and toss it in a pocket

thats my thinking as well, haveing a full ammo box full of shells just clinking together against one another just cant be that good....

Depending on the storage environment sme decent dessicant packs can't hurt.

I keep mine in the box. It's easier to grab n go....

You can store more ammo in a given space if you store it loose. That's just fact. You can fit almost 5000 rounds of 22LR in a 30 caliber can if you hold your head just right :)

Since I often keep subsonic and supersonic bullets on hand, I don't mix brands and weights/speeds. So, I usually tear off one of the labels of the ammo box and put it inside with the ammo.

And if you're wanting a CHEAP and portable and water proof protective container to hold your 22 ammo, it's hard to beat a pop or water bottle ;)

yeah there is no doubt about being able to store more by dumping it in loosely. My problem with having it lose in the ammo can, is in a SHTF scenario, If I need make a quick run into town or to find other supplies, I dont want to half to fill my pockets with handfulls of loose ammo. I keep all mine is 50 or 100 count packs. Not that I need to carry much ammo, because I now have 8 clips on hand.

I wasn't talking about how to carry ammo to town.

But for storing ammo (which I thought this thread was about), a 20 ounce pop bottle is hard to beat. Airtight, watertight, can be stowed quickly and doesn't take up a lot of space

Maybe a little off topic but a 20 oz bottle will hold 550 rounds each as well.

I havent tried a soda bottle thats a great idea, how difficult is it to get the ammo out once its stuff in there??

I keep mine buried underground in the back stop behind the target. Seriously, good advice above. My biggest problem seems to be building up extra to store in the first place.

If you put 550 rounds of 22LR in a 20 ounce bottle, will fill it about as full as it would be if pop were in it so it's not really "stuffed" down in there.

And getting it out is as simple as putting it in.

If on the rare occasion a few were to turn kind of sideways and block the flow, just turn it back upright and start again. They usually just pour out as easily as pouring a pop.

CarbineMike, as for burying them, I hadn't thought about it, but would be a lot easier to bury a pop bottle with a post hole digger than using a shovel to bury a big ammo can. if nothing else, dig it deep and set them on top of each other.

And we all know that the plastic bottles don't decay for about 100 years. By then, I would seriously wonder about shooting them anyway. Not that I would be around to see it. You're talking about 2 more generations on down the line by then.

Sorry John, I should have been more clear in trying to be funny. What I meant was that it gets fired, ends up buried in the dirt that way and I have trouble not using it up right away.

On the note of soda bottles though, you can buy carbonation caps for 2 liter bottles and use CO2 to purge the oxygen out of them. Might help for long term storage plans, like burying them.

I don't bury ammo but if one felt the need to it might be time to consider moving on or using it.

I just keep my boxes stacked in a larger cardboard box... that way I can toss a few single packs in my range bag or my SHTF bad, if needed.

Re: What ammo you using?

If you were going to use your 22t for hunting small game, what ammo would you use?
And who makes the best "hot" round?
Thanks, Kliph

Re: What ammo you using?

I'm new to 22s but not uninformed. I have a Mossberg 702 with an 18" barrel - a 10+1 semi auto with an external mag. I'm in the process of running everything under the sun through it. Not unexpected CCI Mini Mags (hp + round nose) seem to set the standard. Many other rounds in the same fps arena perform well for poi. I bought some stingers (lighter, faster) and intended to see what they did at 100 yds. - didn't get beyond 50 and they were inches higher with a well set red dot. I hope to try them tomorrow at 100 as I hone in my new scope.

I have a ammo can filled to the top with walmart federal .22 but I like the idea of the soda bottle.

The M-22 have worked well for me.

Don't have a Tac22, but they shoot great in my rifles and hundguns...

new here but figured i would post up some info

got my 715T about a month ago, so far have about 500 rounds through it.
First 100 rounds were sketchy, used some Reminington and Winchester rounds. Have cleaned and lubed with mil-tec and ran another 100 rounds through it. Clean and lube again.

will eat the Winchester 555rounds box from wally world all day long.

think the biggest issue is getting the action broken in,

Back