• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- What ammo you using?

I have shot truncated cone Yellow Jackets through my new 715T (25rd mag) after cleaning and oiling the rifle and mag (I cleaned up the mag, disassembled, with a file on the high spots and sharp edged of the red follower too before firing it for the first time). It was a b*tch to get the first round loaded, but after that it fired 25 rds. in single shot and rapid fire UNTIL it ftl the next round and on inspection the cone was damaged. I don't fire them anymore, of course.
I have had very decent results (not great) with Remington Sub Sonic. Can group shots @ 25 yds. in .5 " WITH laser or open red/green dot holo sight.
SIDE ISSUE: members take note
With my carry handle 715 I cannot get even close to sighting on target @ 25 yds. (even top of sight is too high on target. These stock sights are crap! I cannot believe Mossberg would let them out the door designed like this! Called Mossberg, they INSTANTLY asked when I purchased this 715T, I said around January, they IMMEDIATELY said, "Send it back. There is a problem with the barrel/rifling".

QUESTION;
Do Remington Sub Sonics, being un-plated lead nose, foul the barrel with lead as I have read some brand of lead nose bullet apparently do???

I found some Federal 40-grain AutoMatch LRN at Wal-Mart last night and bought two boxes. I took one box to the range today and suffered numerous failures to feed and eject as well as a lot of stovepipes. I'm glad I didn't buy the third box after a little voice in my head told me not to go overboard with new ammo that's only listed at 1200 fps. One of the biggest reasons to own an AR-style .22lr is the fun of running a couple of 25-round mags as fast as you can pull the trigger, and this jam-o-matic ammo takes the fun out of it for me.

I also took along a 50-round box of Federal Lightning and one hundred rounds of CCI Tactical, both 40-grain round nose ammo. The Lightning produced the identical problems as the AutoMatch but since it was less than $3/box I wanted to give it a try. The Tactical ran flawlessly, I'm happy to report.

Both the AutoMatch and Lightning are lead bullets while the Tactical is a plated bullet. I don't know if that is the chief cause of the problems but since I've had great luck with the Federal 36-grain bulk pack hollow points and all the CCI ammos (all plated) I think from now on I'm going to hold out for those and some of the plated Winchester. The problem might also be that the lead nose ammo isn't powerful enough to cycle the bolt and eject the casings.

^ lightly oil the rnd lead nosed rds and they'll run much better for ya.....I use cci standard Winchester white box wildcats even the remington thunderbolts,subsonics no ftf's yet....few duds yes but no ftf or fte...I even have the flattop 715t and no low left issue either....I absolutely love this little plinker wife does too....

eavery said:
^ lightly oil the rnd lead nosed rds and they'll run much better for ya.....I use cci standard Winchester white box wildcats even the remington thunderbolts,subsonics no ftf's yet....few duds yes but no ftf or fte...I even have the flattop 715t and no low left issue either....I absolutely love this little plinker wife does too....

I thought i was the only one who oiled their ammo?

I agree in the begining it works, or if you have ammo that has problems just put a box or 2 in a little bag put about 4-5 drops per 200 rounds and then work the ammo around in the bag for a while it really helps.

CCI uses a light wax or something on their ammo or some kind of powder wax and it helps their ammo. Some other ammo that isnt as expensive doesnt take the extra steps to make their ammo better.

You can even take further steps by inserting each round into a spent 223 shell and weeding threw rounds that hang up or even use a rim thickness gauge like they do higher end target grade ammo.

Once i started oiling my ammo i had no more issues with any of my .22s after that. It helped more then anything else i did. The golden bullets are what i had the most trouble with they seem so dry and almost unfinished. CCI almost looks polished compaired to the golden bullets.

I fired a box of cci stingers to break in my new 715. 50/50, great rounds! I have some Federal American Eagles that the guy at the gun store recommended, I'll follow up later with the results of those. One guy posted earlier that he could not get ANY to successfully fire, hopefully I have better results... Was looking for some cci mini mags, but every ammo store in town was fresh out.

i have some of those american eagle, i didnt know they were federals though. They do have an F on the end like the federals but i never knew they were made by them.

What i found are 40 round boxes, first ive seen 40 round boxes. $8. per 80 rounds :roll:

They also had CCI standard velocity they shoot fine also, i wish i would of known about the 40 rounds per box i would of just got more CCI SV rounds 50 per box.

When the Wal-Mart counter lady told me some .22lr was sitting on the crate I rushed up only to find out that it was Remington Thunderbolt in 50-round boxes. Since it was so cheap I bought three boxes.

Went to the range a couple of days ago and the Thunderbolts shot surprisingly well for LRN, so now two Remington LRN ammos turn out to be cheap range stuff for my rifle, if I can't find Federal plated hollow point bulk pack.

I shot up the rest of the Federal AutoMatch, with the same problem I had before. Now I've got enough quality .22lr ammo to have some fun while the supply gradually becomes more available.

Mine loves everything. CCI Mini's Bucket o Bullets , Federal bulk pack 550. Plus lots of old mis matched bullets that somehow end up in the bottom of the ammo can no matter how careful you are. My wife bought me this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/s ... x?a=798824 for my home range. The smaller discs are only about 1" and the other discs measure about 2" and 3" respectively. They are a lot of fun out to 50yrds. with my rifles , the only bad thing is 22lr hits too hard for the reset target to work right. A good hit just sets both upper and lowers discs to spin like crazy. I can provide pics of my little home target range if ya'll like. The backyard allows for shots out to about 60 yards, but I can shoot down into the pasture for shots out to about 150 yds.

I've learned to feed mine what it likes.
CCI 22LR Mini-Mag 40GR CPRN 1235FPS
and
Fiocchi 22LR 40GR CPRN 1250FPS
No HP or LRN
I Haven't been able to find/try the Tactical22 yet...
Stay away from the ELEY ammo. IMHO

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would chine in on the jamming issues we all seem to be experiencing with our 715's. I purchased mine last year thinking it would be a fun target shooter. Not to mention economical to shoot being a .22. I have to say that I have never been so disappointed with a rifle in my life. The gun jams if you just look at it. No matter what ammo I've tried I can't get more than 3 shots off without a failure to eject. The best results I've g had so far have been with CCI high velocity ammunition, but even with that I am still getting failure to eject at least 3 or 4 times per full magazine. I've finally enough and shipped the rifle off to Mossberg today to hopefully have it fixed under warranty. They say that turn around time will be about six weeks, a long time to be sure but worth it if they can fix the problem.

I think the problem is more than likely due to the terrible design of the 25 round magazine. I took it apart and it seems a if they created the 25 round mag by sticking an extension onto the standard ten round mag. Hell, it's almost impossible to load more than eleven rounds in the magazine without using a knife to pull the spring down. Simply a horrible design.

The other problem I have had with this weapon is the sights. I spent hours trying to sight the gun without success. There just isn't enough adjustment available. To fix this problem I purchased a green dot sight, ditched tire iron sights and have had a very accurate rifle since.

I know that there are many of us experiencing the jamming issues with this rifle. I'm posting so I can give an update and let you know how Mossberg does handling this problem. With any luck will get the rifle back and the jamming issue will be no more. Has anyone here sent their rifle of to Mossberg? If so how was the service? Was your issue addressed and fixed? I will say that so far Mossberg had been very accommodating, sending me a prepaid shipping label to send the rifle back. I'll update as soon as I hear something.

obbn said:
Hello Everyone,

I thought I would chine in on the jamming issues we all seem to be experiencing with our 715's. I purchased mine last year thinking it would be a fun target shooter. Not to mention economical to shoot being a .22. I have to say that I have never been so disappointed with a rifle in my life. The gun jams if you just look at it. No matter what ammo I've tried I can't get more than 3 shots off without a failure to eject. The best results I've g had so far have been with CCI high velocity ammunition, but even with that I am still getting failure to eject at least 3 or 4 times per full magazine. I've finally enough and shipped the rifle off to Mossberg today to hopefully have it fixed under warranty. They say that turn around time will be about six weeks, a long time to be sure but worth it if they can fix the problem.

I think the problem is more than likely due to the terrible design of the 25 round magazine. I took it apart and it seems a if they created the 25 round mag by sticking an extension onto the standard ten round mag. Hell, it's almost impossible to load more than eleven rounds in the magazine without using a knife to pull the spring down. Simply a horrible design.

The other problem I have had with this weapon is the sights. I spent hours trying to sight the gun without success. There just isn't enough adjustment available. To fix this problem I purchased a green dot sight, ditched tire iron sights and have had a very accurate rifle since.

I know that there are many of us experiencing the jamming issues with this rifle. I'm posting so I can give an update and let you know how Mossberg does handling this problem. With any luck will get the rifle back and the jamming issue will be no more. Has anyone here sent their rifle of to Mossberg? If so how was the service? Was your issue addressed and fixed? I will say that so far Mossberg had been very accommodating, sending me a prepaid shipping label to send the rifle back. I'll update as soon as I hear something.

A lot of my jamming problems I contributed to the edges of the metal on the mags that guide the round into the chamber. I used a file and a dremel tool to deburr them so they didn't catch the bullet, and bent them slightly to feed the round correctly, and it cut down on the jamming issues. I can now do 25 round mag dumps with CCI tactical, Winchester M22 and 555 value pack, and Remington Golden bullets. The 555 Winchester's have given me several failure to fires but that is evidently an ammo issue.

My biggest problem is with the Federal Auto Match/Target Grade. Constant stovepipe issues.

I also had a problem with the higher power CCI tactical where it would lock the charging handle back after a few rounds. Had to break the gun down and bend the tab that catches the handle outward to fix that issue.

For anyone having trouble finding ammo, Cabela's has CCI Segmented Hollows & Stingers in stock right now. They are $6.99 for Segmented Hollows & $7.99 for the Stingers, both of them are boxes of 50. Shipping sucks, so they are only worth it if you have another Cabela's store to ship to.

badseed1 said:
I fired a box of cci stingers to break in my new 715. 50/50, great rounds! I have some Federal American Eagles that the guy at the gun store recommended, I'll follow up later with the results of those. One guy posted earlier that he could not get ANY to successfully fire, hopefully I have better results... Was looking for some cci mini mags, but every ammo store in town was fresh out.
So I went out a few days ago and shot a box of the Federal American Eagles, and I have to say I was surprised to have no issues whatsoever. 50/50! It was loving em.

kwikside said:
For anyone having trouble finding ammo, Cabela's has CCI Segmented Hollows & Stingers in stock right now. They are $6.99 for Segmented Hollows & $7.99 for the Stingers, both of them are boxes of 50. Shipping sucks, so they are only worth it if you have another Cabela's store to ship to.

Yes sir I snagged several hundred rounds of stingers with the ship to store method! Lovely little rounds

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

badseed1 said:
badseed1 said:
So I went out a few days ago and shot a box of the Federal American Eagles, and I have to say I was surprised to have no issues whatsoever. 50/50! It was loving em.

Don't complain ha ha!

I took my 715 out a few weeks ago and fired 100 rounds of Federal High Velocity 36 grain copper plated ammo through it and I didn't have a single malfunction or jam.
I have found 375 round boxes at the gun shows lately for $35 to $40 a box. Not as bad as some were gouging for it a few months ago.

Back