• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Disassembly/Cleaning

snagglepuss said:
With rimfires there definitely appear to be two schools of thought.
1) clean your gun thoroughly (meaning teardown) after every range session.
2) shoot the heck out of it till you notice accuracy issues or feed issues.
I'm kinda lazy at heart so I go with #2.
My 715T has about 5000 rounds through it now. It got a complete teardown when I got it home from the store to remove any of the packing grease.
After every shooting session I run a boresnake through it and spray some Hoppes cleaner/lube into the action.
Last Sunday I put 300 rounds through it in less than an hour and didn't have one failure of any kind.

Sorta, along the same lines (IMO).
About 20 years ago Car & Driver did a long term (5 year) test of two identical cars...one of which was given very regular full maintenance...the other got regular oil changes but otherwise only fixed when something broke.
After the 5 years they did a teardown of the engine and transmission and they both showed pretty much the same wear.
The car that was only fixed when it broke was in the shop less than the car with all the regular maintenance...and the maintenance costs were 1/3 of the car that was so well cared for.

I'm a huge fan of not abusing equipment/tools...but too many people (again, IMO) too many people go overboard.
Just my two cents.

What ever works, ive found with guns in the past they use grease wich i think is just cheap. I prefer a more modern type of "all in one" spray ive had good luck with on my other guns. My dad recomended it and hes been shooting like 50 years. He also worked on large machines for 25 years wich made fiberglass. G96 has worked for me i swear by that over what ever was in it stock.

If its working for you though why fix it if its working?

The firs time you tear it down i demand some pictures. I want to see the build up and wear.

hello all, i'm new to the gun world as all my kills have been old school- with a bow and arrows. hunted 12 years with my onieda screaming eagle, and got good with it, but now i'm older I wanted to get into rifles and the 715t really shined to me, what a cool piece. I've only ran one clip thru it so far and I found this forum and read all the great inputs you guys have to offer. I especially found this post on cleaning the gun and disassembly soooo very helpful. only problem I had is when I took the two pieces apart and a black plastic thingy fell out and I didn't see where it came from. but the assembly of the 715 is soo well thought out it was obvious where it was supposed to be on the back side of the unit, angles gave it away, Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all your knowledge.

Welcome aboard!

Congrats on your entry into rifles. Let us know if you have any questions...

cleaning the 715T

I am considering the purchase of the 715T, but after doing some online research on cleaning the gun, it looks like a ton of breakdown everytime you want to clean it. You have to totally remove the entire shell just to get to the metal. I would assume that eventually the plastic threading on the screws will strip out.

Am I totally off base here? The unit looks like a good value, but once I saw that it was basically a 702 inside of an airsoft frame, I kinda got spooked! How DURABLE are these guns? Have you had any problems with the screws stripping out? Can you order a new shell through Mossberg if the unit strips or gets broken?

That MP 15-22 looks so much more "substantial" and easier to clean.

Talk to me folks!~

Re: cleaning the 715T

Welcome to the site! This is also good post and question for the Mossberg 715T Tactical .22 Autoloader section so I'll move it there. The 715T section is pretty lively with a bunch of dedicated shooters. Since I don't personally have one I can't give you an answer. Much luck in your search.

As long as you dont pull a brutus beefcake job with the screwdriver when you are tightening them down I dont see a problem with them stripping out.

I have had mine apart several times and have not noticed the screws starting to pull the threads.

I dont really mind the extra time it takes to clean it either. I can have mine apart and cleaned and back together in no time now.

i don't own a 715t but ,,,,,,if i did i would look into modding it with heli coils for plastic.
this way you would not have to worry about striping out the plastic threads.
http://www.helicoil.in/

You shouldnt let that keep you from buying a really fun plinking rifle.

If you stick to a couple simple rules you will be fine. Ive taken mine apart at least 12-15 times some times i just take it apart to post pictures.

2 rules you should follow and you wont have any problems.

#1 when you are tightening the screw turn the screw counter clockwise first, you will feel and maybe hear a little click or a drop in the screw driver when this happens you then turn it clockwise to start threading it in. What your doing is finding the starting point of the first thread on the screw to the first thread on the gun case. You should do this with all screws not just on this rifle this is a tip you will use any time you remove a screw and reinstall it.

#2 is pretty simple, DONT over tighten it. Snug is all it needs.

If you use to long of a screw driver its easier to over tighten use about a 6" #2 screw driver and you should be fine.

The only screw ive ever had come loose on my gun is the grub screw for the flash hider on my handle version. Its an aftermarket flash hider and i didnt use any lock tight so about every trip i have to tighten it when i get home.

IMO the first few times you shoot it i feel are the most critical for cleaning. As you run more rounds threw it the gun tends to run better requiring less service. Ive put about 6-700 threw my first 715T and about 4-500 threw my second. They are both at the point now where i just clean the barrel for accuracy with a bore snake. Scraping the lands and grooves of lead

I have taken mine apart six or seven times without any issues of stripping anything, after your first tear down you'll be fine.

If you read about how hard the 715T is to take apart and got scared away you need to try a savage model 64.

Tonight i bought a model 64 savage arms .22 from walmart for $137. got it home to take it apart and was lost. I watched a youtube video then i tore it down and cleaned all the stock oil out of it.

You have to remove the barrel just to get the bolt out just to clean it. Makes it easy to clean the barrel but i kinda dont like the idea of removing the barrel just to clean the bolt and stuff each time.

I just finished my first (post NIB) full disassembly of the Tac .22 and found it to be easier than I feared it would be. I did do some research and watched a video. Taking apart the actual rifle mechanism was not difficult and I feel like after a few more cleanings that I'll figure out a way to make that process even easier.

I admit I was worried that I would fudge it up. Since I have yet to shoot it I was especially concerned that I'd have pieces of a rifle to throw at a target rather than a clean rifle to fire.

Ill have no qualms about taking down the rifle and doing a full clean as often as needed.

My only fear is the eventual stripping of the shell screw heads. That, I'm sure, is just a matter of the right size screwdriver and not over torquing.

That's my two cents. :)

Ender said:
My only fear is the eventual stripping of the shell screw heads. That, I'm sure, is just a matter of the right size screwdriver and not over torquing.

Yes, that's the most worry I have about disassembly/reassembly of the rifle.

I took my lil 715 apart this past Sunday. I spent about an hour cleaning it. Holy cow. I only used it 2xs before...it looks as though the previous owner never cleaned. There was so much crap inside the shell. And rust inside the action. I sprayed liquid wrench inside the action and kept wiping out rust and gook. After it was clean it worked like a charm. The loading of the magazines were a pita....but that's only cuz I forgot to bring my mag loader assisting thingee...
:)

My 715t is my first firearm I've ever owned. I'm getting a member ship to a range this week and I'm really nervous about taking it apart to clean it before shooting. I have a feeling ill screw something up. Any way I can get avoid taking the whole thing apart? Like even if I just pull out the 2 pins once I have the shell off and clean the inside really good with out pulling every piece out. Is that possible ? I'm really embarrassed for asking a noob question. Sorry

Back