• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mounting Harris Bipod To Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
The Harris BRM-S bipod seems to be wearing the front sling mount hole. I was wondering if that normal or if thats just because its a synthetic part?

Re: Which Bipod to buy?

Harris, thats what the Army uses on the M24. What I use on my yote gun.
I have never seen a Harris fail.
I have seen the legs fall off the wally mart ones.

Ultimate CC said:
The Harris BRM-S bipod seems to be wearing the front sling mount hole. I was wondering if that normal or if thats just because its a synthetic part?
How do you mean? Can you post a pic?

69885_600057423116_16501575_34801744_7338442_n.jpg

72437_600057582796_16501575_34801746_823800_n.jpg

I know I have only gone to the range twice with it and its been snug the whole time. I am going to contact Mossberg if I can't figure out what is causing this.

I think you're going to find that that sling point is not meant for a pod. The pods are generally hooked onto a metal sling stud, which is able to handle the torque and stress far better than the plastic stock body. The pod is basically acting like a lever, and all the force exerted on the legs is magnified and focused on that one point. With the plastic of the stock sling point, you've probably got a whole lot more than that material can handle. I don't there is going to be a workable solution without adding a sling button somewhere on the forearm.
I've seen pods work on loose sling buttons and wallow out the hole the button is threaded into and degrade the threads. I'm not surprised that it is eating up the sling point on that stock.

I am trying to figure out how to add a metal swivel mount to the stock of the Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action. I was originally going to order the harris adaptor #5 but I don't think that will work now...
73897_600227018246_16501575_34806349_617520_n.jpg

IF IT WERE MINE: I would put the sling swivel stud through into one of those triangles and then fill it with JB Weld or some other hell for strong epoxy. I haven't handled one of those rifles before but that forearm doesn't really look all that sturdy. I would want to reinforce the area around where my swivel stud was going to be (always good to have a reinforced swivel stud :shock: ). Also, how much does that forearm flex when you have pressure on it from the bipod? That could be affecting your accuracy as well.

It is fairly sturdy but could certainly use some beefing up. I think your idea is about the only practical solution for this setup. I may try and figure out a way to add a bit more rigidity but will see.

Just added the same Bipod to my Savage 270 and love it. Thankfully the Savage has a regular metal lug for the sling and the bipod fits nicely...

I installed a conventional swivel stud on my synthetic 4x4 just to mount a Harris. It sit about 2 1/2" behind the molded stud. You have to put a wood insert in the stock so the screw has something to bite into and the wood spreads the stress over a larger area. This stops any wear problems and looks fine. The stock is also a hair thicker there so the Harris seats better.

Ol' Fussy

Back