• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mounting Woes

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Recently, a friend wanted a scope mounted on a gun

Little did I know that I would run into a small obstacle mounting it. The scope was too short for the cross bolts in the rings to fit into any of the grooves in the weaver rail. :?

What to do? What to do?

No big deal. I just mark where the new slot needs to be and mill out a slot in the aluminum rail and in less than 3 minutes, it's done :wink:

rossiaimscopemod014.jpg

Nice work John!

I've run into a few instances like that where a little modification on the fly was required. It's amazing what can be accomplished with a little creativity and, oh yeah, power tools!

Yeah, sometimes a little change here and there is necessary.

Some people are too scared to do any mods to their guns. Especially when power tools are involved.

Thankfully, that's never been the case with me :lol:

If I think I can make something better, I'm sure to try it ;)

If anyone takes anything with them from this topic, I hope it is don't be afraid to change your guns as needed.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

There are "some" people who are better off leaving their guns alone (not naming names so they don't get their itty bitty feewings hurt)

You should know if this applies to you, if it does, whatever you do, don't touch a gun. Especially with a power tool.

Don't try this at home. We are trained professionals operating on a closed course.

No animals were harmed making this film

It is known to the state of California to cause cancer, and making the far left shake in their boots

For everyone else, measure three times, cut once.

Haha, nice!

Speaking of power tools, I just finished cutting the factory GRS front blade off of my 590a1. I love my dremel!

I didn't take any pics during the process, but I replaced it with a fiber optic front blade from Aimpro. I'll snap some pics tomorrow and post 'em up.

I'd love to see it with a silencer on it...do you know where you're getting it?
Great mill work job JohnA....looks perfect!

That is probably as simple mill work as can be done :lol:

As for what kind of silencer, I'd probably make my own using an AR15 pistol buffer tube for the outer body, and aluminum spacers and pressed cone fender washers for about $50 (excluding the $200 registration tax of course) just to prove it could be done with readily available materials

If I make another, it will be my 3rd.

If I don't make it this time around, I have looked at the Thompson Machine Zephyr XL.

But weighing the difference between ~$250 or $600 seems a little hard to justify buying someone elses.

I've been wanting to do something similar with my Rossi Youth Twin. Mine has the synthetic furniture and fiber optic sights on the .22 barrel.

Nasa, that would make your youth combo a bit newer with the plastic furniture. And likely lighter too.

Is the plastic buttstock hollow (allow for storage?)

It is hollow. Have thought of remaking the stock into a pistol grip at one time but, I figure it is short enough. Would be nice if there were different stock options for it without having to do a custom job.

Back