• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 4X4 .338 Win Mag

Here are some pics of my new rifle. It's a 4X4 .388 Winchester Magnum in the classic wood stalk. I have a Nikon Buckmasters Scope 4-14X40 with bullet drop compensation. I'm going to be using it for hunting bear,elk, mule deer, and moose. Hopefully I can get a good load worked out for it. Probably going to be using Sierra 225 grain spitzer flat base bullets, those should be adequate for most of those applications.
I just picked it up a few weeks ago and I've shot it once so far, just with factory ammo. I like the easy action and the crisp trigger break. I may tweak the trigger pull, but I have not decided yet. I also may change my scope set up, possibly a more solid one piece base. The weaver bases are fine for the moment, but I'm just not sure. I've read that some people think the barrels on these heat up quickly and they shoot inaccurate after they heat up. Like I said I've only taken it to the range once, but it seems the barrel cools off really quickly. Being fluted and having the vented stalk, this is what I expected. I like the muzzle brake for reducing the recoil. I'm not sure weather I'll keep it on in the field though. I wore ear protection at the range, but I hear that with a muzzle break you want to wear protection in the field as well. I will not be doing that, so I may take it off, but I wonder how this will affect the gun. By that I mean would I have to sight it in with the brake off?

Now on the the pics :cool:

IMG_20120114_112245.jpg
IMG_20120114_112312.jpg

IMG_20120114_112325.jpg

IMG_20120114_112348.jpg

IMG_20120114_112358.jpg

Congratulations on your new Mossberg 4x4 in .338 Win Mag! I have one in .30-06 and love it. I use one piece EGW bases on most of my rifles and couldn't be happier. I have one for a 4x4 at my house that may fit yours if you are interested. What sort of ranges do you plan to hunt with it?

I'm thinking that I'd like to hit anything out to 500 yards. I've never been out west hunting so I'm not sure how far away you're able to see and shoot something. Hunting in PA doesn't really allow for anything over 150 yards.
I just ordered bullets today, but I won't be able to shoot the gun again until I get back from Scotland. I know it will be a while until I get to use the gun in the field so I've got plenty of time to experiment with the gun, but I may be interested in your mount if it fits. I'm just not sure on the durability of the weaver style bases that came with the gun.

My sling came in a while back, but I've not been able to post pics. Now that I'm back in the good ol' USA, heres the story. So I got the gun for hunting elk, and I wanted a sling fit for an elk gun. I found it via this link...

http://www.levysleathers.com/browse;cat ... fle-Slings

I was able to find one a bit cheaper on Amazon so I went with it!
I think it completes the gun! My big debate was over the garment leather or the suede, but I'm glad I went with the leather.

IMG_20120311_090613.jpg

IMG_20120311_090606.jpg

IMG_20120311_090551.jpg

Looks great! I look forward to seeing some pictures of the elk you take down.

Saweeeeeet. I gotta find me a decent sling too. The stores here only sell those flimsy, Mickey Mouse nylon ones that run around $30.00.

I searched and searched about every gun dealer and sporting goods store in my area. They all had crap. I have a leather sling similar to this one on my .243 and I was looking for something similar. I ended up doing a google search for "elk" and "leather sling" This was the only thing that came up. I'll try to get a picture of my .243 sling, although I don't have the gun with me at the moment as a friend is borrowing it.

Man thats a great lookin rifle, the stock is beautiful, and I'm diggin the sling man!!! NICE!

Thanks for all the compliments!
I'm looking into getting another mossberg 4x4. I want to use this one for whitetail deer. Right now I'm debating between .270 win and 7mm rem mag. Has anyone here shot a deer with a 7mm mag? I wonder how much damage such a fast bullet will do. I think .270 is plenty for hunting whitetail especially since I've been using a .243 for the last few years. Something has me wanting a 7mm though. Any thoughts?

This gun would also be wood furniture and I'm hoping for a 2012 model with fluted bolt and no muzzle brake.

Add 25-06 to the caliber debate. If I got this I would outfit as a ground-hog/cyote gun with laminate stock and marine coat barrel. Possibly a Nikon monarch scope with the highest power. I would go back to using my 30-30 for deer most likely and scrap my .243. Also thought about .22-250 but 25-06 seems better all around but you pay the price in cost per round.

I've got a 4x4 in .25-06...

I had a couple of issues right out of the box that Mossberg took care of quickly & painlessly...

However, If I had to do it again, I'd get the .30-06 instead, based solely on one thing and one thing alone.... the price of .25-06 ammo!!!

I can pick up a box of .30-06 ammo on sale for ~$15 a box if I'm lucky... The cheapest .25-06 ammo starts @ $30 and goes up quicly from there... plus, now you can find .30-06 in weights from 125gr to 180gr at Wal-Mart (if you're desperate)... I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods the other day and they didn't even carry .25-06...

I love the .25-06, it's a great shooting caliber, there hasn't been a deer that I've hit that didn't drop... but I can't go to the range and just "plink" @ $35 buck a box.....

Smitty

So, with the purchase of a new bow, my rifle fund is no more. So it'll have to wait, and let the caliber debate go on, and on, and on. If I were to get it today It'd be a .270 win with a Redfield 4-12 scope to top it off.

Re: My 4X4 .388 Win Mag and my next 4x4

That's the exact rifle I have and it gave me fits today trying to get a good group at 100yds. I'll try different amo tomorrow. Love the muzzle break. Kicks less than a 30.06. It was sweet to shoot. Don't worry about taking it off for hunting brother. When you shoot at an elk you're not going to hear or feel anything. The barrel does cool down fast.

I've been working on trying to find the right load for my .338, and the gun is turning out to be very particular. I think I'm close, I've been having some success with reloader-19 powder, Winchester magnum primers, and both Sierra and hornady bullets. I think I'm close, but it's hard to say, and I've had various things such as a windy day yesterday that haven't worke in my favor. I want to also try Sierra .225 grain flat base bullets, but still can't find them. The .215 grain sierras and the .225 grain hornadys are boat tail and I wonder if that's the issue. I think I want to glass bed the rifle: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3130 and I'm looking for advise on that.

Just posted a little feedback in there for ya FWIW...

I just sent an email to Mossberg. I'm looking for a 1 piece bridge mount for my scope on my .338. Hopefully they can provide me with some info on what might fit. I hope this helps my accuracy problem, if not, see below:

Also, I'm going to try some Hornady 225 grain bullets http://www.hornady.com/store/338-Cal-.338-225-gr-SP-RP/ . I'm hoping these may yield some better results. Nosler also makes a 225 grain flat base bullet that I might try. If these don't pan out, it's on to glass bedding.

My phone won't take me to the website so ill have to check it out on my laptop later. Sounds like a good possibility though! I just picked up my hornady interlocks so I have plenty of options and things to try.

Found a pic of the last one I mounted on my one of Remy short-actions...

Back