• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 590A1 is getting Fat

Curly

.22LR
When I pulled my brand new A1 out of the box back in October of last year it weighted a scant 6lbs.-15.4ozs. (I have a certified Mettler Toledo Postal Scale). Now after many "upgrades" it weights in at a chubby 8lbs.-11.2ozs. It has put on 1-3/4 pounds of extra weight! And that's before adding the over one pound of ammo (5+4 rounds). So when I go to grab the A1 I'm now picking up almost 10 pounds of shotgun. It's not unmanageable by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm sure mine is not even close to being the fattest A1 (or any other) shotgun out there. I'm just saying (mostly for fun) that you have to watch what you add to that shotgun waistline. I wonder who has the fattest 590 out there?

Not I.............Mine lost weight....:), all I did was Wolff spring, no-jam follower, Hogue 12" LOP with a Limbsaver pad. That's it.......if only I had a postal scale.

Yeah... I've seen some really decked out guns! Guns with like the full length rails and optics and BUIS, and shell carriers and even a bi-pod or two... OH! And dont forget the ones with what looks like Beta-Mags!

I have some stuff on my 590A1, but it isnt at all bad. I know the weight of each item plus the specs on the gun unloaded. I was at one time around 10 pounds with ammo. I had a sight on it that was 15 oz on its own. That and the rail added just over a pound.

Now I have the CDM Gear MT clamp, Coast picatinny light mount, Coast TX40 light, ERGO tri-railed forend, Magpul AFG I, ERGO receiver mount ambi sling plate, Botach single point bungee sling, Hogue short LOP (12") stock.

I imagine its still around 10 pounds loaded... However not the least bit uncomfortable to carry.

MossLvR said:
Not I.............Mine lost weight....:), all I did was Wolff spring, no-jam follower, Hogue 12" LOP with a Limbsaver pad. That's it.......if only I had a postal scale.

That's a good plan MossLvR, make it even lighter.

Rossignol said:
I imagine its still around 10 pounds loaded... However not the least bit uncomfortable to carry.

Yeah Rossignol, I don't think 10 pounds is bad at all. I was just thinking about how important the weight is when you're looking for a shotgun, and how that goes out the window when you get it. I was very happy that mine (model #53690) came in at just under 7 pounds brand new when the Mossberg site pegged it at 7-1/2 pounds. But I had to add all the "right" accessories to make it my own. What can I say, it's the American way.

That's funny! Weapons with all intent, can be the handlers biggest nightmare. I have seen weapons that look like they belong on HALO more than a HD weapon. They have a name " Gear Whore." That's just what some people prefer though......for some reason. To each his own. My opinion.....not that it matter at all but, tactical is the only way. If you can't hold it on your target after being smoked........you should rethink your set up. Safety should always be considered and that become questionable when you can't control your weapon.

yea mines pretty much maxed out where it is (havent weighed it though) 20", mesa side saddle, wolff spring, GGG follower...all thats left is a light and im done i've never really been one who liked cluttering up my guns with a buncha stuff though, i like to keep them as simple and light as possible, if it doesnt have a direct, positive advantage for me it can go somewhere else

Back