• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 835.....

I picked up a nice used Turkey barrel for my 835. It is a 24" vent rib ported barrel with the factory camo job and it came with a Mossberg "ULTI-FULL" turkey choke. I also picked up a Mossberg "X-FULL" choke, as well as a Tru-Glo "Gobble Stopper X-Treme" ported choke. I am going to play with the different chokes to see which one patterns the best. I plan on using this set up for both turkeys and close range coyotes.

Last edited:
The truglo choke should give you the best pattern if you're looking to get to 40 yards or so. You may even be able to try some 4 buck in it or check out the Winchester VarmintX which is a BB load. Or whatever you have.

I took the camo barrel down to a buddy of mine who is a gunsmith. I used his sandblasting cabinet to strip off the camo finish and then he taught me how to hot blue the barrel. I think it came out looking pretty good!

Here is the "Before" pic:

and here is the "After" pic:

Last edited:
That's the same pitiful camo that my 500 came with back around 1999/2000 timeframe.

You did real good on the hot blue.

Looks a LOT better now.

Thanks!

It was my first experience at hot bluing. Now with this barrel, my 18" riot gun barrel and my 20" slug barrel, I am pretty much ready for anything:)

I've never hot blued or parkerized either for that matter. I never had the tanks and stuff for it.

I've used cold blue about a thousand times, but that's about all.

Edit:

You can't tell by looking at it that it was your first time doing it. It looks factory.

It really looks good !!

Thanks!

I have used cold blue a couple of times, mostly on small wear spots on revolver barrels and semi auto slides. My buddy is a retired gunsmith, so he still has his shop and lots of equipment and he doesn't mind showing me the ropes. He is a great teacher. Under his instruction I have threaded several barrels for suppressors and flash hiders and I have also serrated a bunch of revolver and rifle front sights.

That is awesome.

I wish I had someone to show me the ropes like that.

Let him know you appreciate it. Real world wisdom is hard to get these days. And rare.

I've had a few people show me things, but unfortunately, a lot of what I have learned was self taught.

And Lord knows, I've made more than my share of mistakes.

I'm of the train of thought:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Show a man how to fish and he'll never go hungry.

I applaud you both.

That is awesome.

I wish I had someone to show me the ropes like that.

Let him know you appreciate it. Real world wisdom is hard to get these days. And rare.

I've had a few people show me things, but unfortunately, a lot of what I have learned was self taught.

And Lord knows, I've made more than my share of mistakes.

I'm of the train of thought:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Show a man how to fish and he'll never go hungry.

I applaud you both.

Thanks!

Your are so right, real world wisdom is absolutely priceless. As my buddy will not take payment for time teaching me, I always make sure to bring something to him as a "Thankyou", whether it be wine, ammo, gun parts, holsters or something similar.

I finally got the rear sling swivel installed on my 835. I also upgraded the front sling mount with one from Magpul:

Back