• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My "Dungeon"

LTB45

.30-06
Rest in Peace
Supporter
My house was built over 100 years ago. The basement is really more of a "Dungeon" like place.
About a year ago I figured that if my wife and I are going to both shoot ATA Trap, then we need to reload!

The Dungeon was the only place :eek: Here are a few pics of my 12ga reloading space.

227560_1861789618740_7596290_n.jpg

227560_1861789658741_7020785_n.jpg

227560_1861789698742_4531956_n.jpg

227560_1861789778744_5745487_n.jpg

Ready for 1 more day of competitive Trap shooting

Far out, Mine isn't so much a Dungeon, Its more of a cave.

Mancave.jpg

Its a little different, I have added a shelf and laptop that swings out from under the press top.
Best of luck :cool:

Anybody else got pics of their Reloading Space?

If not then take some, and post up!!!
Afterall, some of us spend more time in these places then we do shooting :shock:
:lol:

LTB45...I'm interested in getting a reloader thing. what brand and model are yours? i like those....

ripjack13 said:
LTB45...I'm interested in getting a reloader thing.

ROFLMAO!! My reloader "thing" is a MEC Grabber model
Mine is an older model but pretty much the same thing as the one they offer today. I bought mine from Ebay for a lot less than the new ones.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/8567Grabber.asp

The website write up on this model:

The 8567N Grabber has everything you need for high-speed, efficient operation and unbeatable precision.

The ten different operations at six stations speedily produce a finished shell with every stroke of the handle. It has a fully automatic primer feed, as well as auto-cycle charging, and our exclusive three-stage crimp.

The "Power Ring" resizer gives consistent, accurately sized shells for optimum gun performance, without interrupting the reloading sequence. The operator simply puts in the wads and shell casings and removes a loaded shell with each pull of the handle.

Available in 12, 16, 20, 28 gauge, and .410 bore. Die sets are not available.

Superior engineering and unique versatility is exhibited in the 8567N Grabber. Optional kits to load 3" shells (not available in .410 gauge) and steel shot mark this reloader as the ultimate in its field. Resizes high and low base shells.

Looks good LBT, and thanks for the writeup and link !!

And nice little cubby hole you got there Vit !!...but how's that router come into play ! :D

I dont have a dungeon or cave...

I have a 10' x 10' shed. Air conditioned in the winter and heated in the summer. It kinda sux.

SHOOTER13 said:
Yea...but it's yours !!

Well, you would think. However, everyone else has decided its an excellent place to dump everything they cant find a place for.

Otherwise, when its clean and just me, its an ok place to hang out and listen to talk radio and news, or I can take my computer out there and put a movie in while I'm workin!

Rossignol said:
Air conditioned in the winter and heated in the summer.

If you could just switch up the heating and air conditioning you would be a little more comfortable.
Heat in the winter would not be hard.
Air in the summer might take a bit more work.

A man cave or dungeon is a must for a little time away from the world...IMHO

Well LTB, I put heaters out there in the winter while I work, it takes two to get it warmed up and once I get it to about 65 degrees, I cut it back to one. A friend had told me about a wall mount propane heater thats ventless. You hang it and hook it up to a propane line to a tank like whats used for a gas grill. That could work really well!

Summer... I dunno, I run a fan. Thats all I can really do.

Google an air exchange calculator, pop in your sq. footage, and have the air changed at least 15 times an hour. Put a screen door on the entrance and an appropriate sized fan (that's what the calculators for) up as high as possible pushing air out. If you really want, add filter material to the screen door and that should keep it clean and cool for you.

If you really want to rig something up, you can always make a poor mans ac. Take a cooler full of ice water, drop a submersible pump in there running through plastic tubing that dumps back into the cooler, mount it to the back of a box fan and you're good to go. Just replace ice as needed. May need to invest in some ice trays or a cheap source of bagged ice.

Instructables.com is an awesome DIY website that I frequent for project ideas. That's where I picked up the ac idea a few years ago.

LTB45,
Does it really cost less to reload target ammo than purchasing? Of course I'm comparing cheap off the shelf ammo to your premium reloaded ammo.

Locally I can buy the Wal-Mart Fed or Win 100 count box for $24.91 tax included.
That makes it $6.22 a box of 25.

Have you figured your cost for a box of 25?

I would consider reloading shotshells if it was less than purchasing ammo.

I do buy the Wally-World value packs from time to time. You do need to have a supply of empties to start reloading and the best way is to empty them yourself.

Reloading, I can build a box for about $4.00 a Box
Remington sells STS shells at $8+ per box. I have plenty of STS hulls in my collection :D

Here is a link to a Reloading Cost Calculator
http://www.dundeesportsmansclub.com/video3/reloading_cost_calculator.htm

My reloader has paid for itself A LONG TIME AGO so I leave that input as Zero dollars.
Also my Hulls are free since I bought them full and shot them :D . No cost there.

My next step is to reload .410
I was just calculating the cost savings for it this morning. I will save more than $8 a box over factory load prices :shock:

Please keep in mind that I reload for 2 ATA Trap shooters in my house. In the summer time we can go through more than 1000 rounds a week with practice and competition ammo. That kind of shooting and the savings really starts to add up!!!! :cool:

Oh ya and the hours spent in my Dungeon/Man Cave .........PRICELESS ;)

Good info!
I can get free hulls from the DNR range I go to.
If I did get into reloading shells I would probably get the MEC 9000GN press.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW3rAgKhUPU[/youtube]

Thanks for the calculator link. I can't use it since I don't have a reloading book to go by.

Thanks LTB45!

You are very welcome!

That is a real nice machine.
I use an Old MEC Grabber Model.
It is a progressive model as well, but I have to turn the turret by hand :cry:

Reloading is a great way to continue enjoying a shooting hobby while not actually shooting :D

I watched a video on your MEC Grabber model and for a little bit more money I could have the auto indexing feature.

Anyway I'm still thinking about this. I would like to do it as I really liked reloading handgun shells back in the day.

Using the calculator link you provided here's a typical 1oz load I plugged into the calculator. All component prices for the shell are from Natchez. Factory ammo prices are the Wal-Mart Federal #8's.
ReloadingCost.jpg

It doesn't look like much savings does it? Lol!

Not worth the time to reload with the cost of your components.

25lbs of shot for $50??? :shock:
I pay $38 and cringe at the thought of that. :x

I pay $27 for 1000 primers and $16 for 1000 wads.

The best way to save money on components is when you are member of a club and they buy in bulk.

Also 5 reloads per shell is a real low estimate. I can reload well over a dozen times and honestly I dont count the number of times. Every now and then I see a shell that just doent look all that good so I throw it away.

Oh and my Grabber I bought used for, I think about $150 dont really remember now.

If you are reloading for a cost savings only then 12ga is not gonna get you there unless you shoot the quantity like my wife and I do.

Subguages is where the savings come pouring in. $12.50 a box for .410 shells. Reloading is the only way to do it. To reload a subguage that you only shoot every now and then, a MEC Jr. single stage is fine and brand new they are $170 which aint bad.

Again its the quantity that we shoot that allows me to save a few bucks reloading 12. The real savings is me getting some peace and quiet in my dungeon listening to the radio and nobody bothering me....now that is PRICELESS :cool:

LTB45,
First, let me apologize as I've un-intentionally taken your "My Dungeon" thread off topic with my questions about reloading. I guess I should have started a new thread first. I will start a new thread for further questions.

I'm still considering reloading after the first of the year. I would be reloading for two shooters to start with.

Thank you for the great info you posted.

Back