• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My "Dungeon"

No apologies needed!!!
This thread is about reloading and that is what we have been discussing.
If it were not for friends of mine that knew how to reload, I would have been lost in the beginning.

It is always my pleasure to share knowledge with anyone that asks.
If you need any help with anything please feel free to ask in this thread or any other thread.

Cool! Thanks!

In continuation then...

I found a much cheaper place I could order the components from which reflect prices you quoted. I assume your price quoted is the base price without shipping and tax applied.

Here's what I come up with. I could have the wrong components selected but I don't know better. Lol!

Lawrence Shot # 8 Magnum @ 25# $36.50
CCI 209 Shotshell Primer-Blue Box @1000 $27.50
Claybuster 12 Gauge Federal 12SS 1oz @ 500 $16.60
IMR 700X Powder @ 8lb $109.95

Without shipping and any taxes applied.

I didn't know how many times one can reload the plastic shot gun hulls. However changing the number of reloads on the calculator does nothing to the final cost unless I purchase the hulls.

Here's a photo of my woodworking shop.
Lathe1.jpg

It is a 12x16 building insulated with heat, air and exhaust fans. I started out building furniture and ended up turning bowls, lamps and other wooden items.

I plan on selling some of my woodworking equipment which would pay for any reloading equipment and supplies should I decide to reload. I can't lift the heavy logs anymore.

Reloading slugs I'm sure would be cost effective. Also reloading for my 16ga (hard to find around here) and .410 would save some money as well.

Will do!
What hulls are best for reloading?
Which one's are not good for reloading?

I gather that the Remington Gun Club hulls are about the best. What about the other Remington braned hulls?

Thanks for all your help LTB45!

Gee, I seem to be late to this party. Great thread!

OldMan, that's quite a professional workshop you have there.

You ask about Remington Gun Clubs. They are fully compatible with the same exact recipes for Remington STS, STS Premier, Nitro27 and other top tier Remmie hulls. Remington in my opinion makes the best hulls for reloading, hands down. The premiums are all 8-point and most of the Gun Clubs are also 8-point and you can mix-em and match-em. Gun Clubs will last thru at least 6-8 reloads before cracking at the crimp folds. The better Remmies will go over a dozen.

If you have Federals or Winchesters that's okay too, just keep them segregated by brand because for one specific brand of hull and wad you must follow with a certain primer and shot weight and powder charge. Different brands of hulls have different inner contours in the hull base so pressures vary and you must adjust powder (sometimes dramatically) even if the wad and primer and shot weight are unchanged.

If you watch YouTube videos you'll see LOTS of MEC loaders in operation. The single stage presses will still load four boxes per hour with ease while getting started, and once you get the rhythm you'll be doing more than that!

LBT45, Thanks for the dungeon thread. You speak the truth when you say that it's a favorite part of the hobby.

I assume any Remington brand hulls are ok then.

There's some Reminton hulls at my local range but most are the Wal-Mart Federal target hulls.
They only remove the trash from the range every three weeks or so. :D

From the link on load data posted by LBT45 above I see different primer brands being used but no CCI brand. With that in mind can any 209 primer be subsituted if I don't have the brand listed in the data table?

Are some 209 primer brand hotter than other's?

LTB45 said:
If you are reloading for a cost savings only then 12ga is not gonna get you there unless you shoot the quantity like my wife and I do.

Subguages is where the savings come pouring in. $12.50 a box for .410 shells. Reloading is the only way to do it. To reload a subguage that you only shoot every now and then, a MEC Jr. single stage is fine and brand new they are $170 which aint bad.

Again its the quantity that we shoot that allows me to save a few bucks reloading 12. The real savings is me getting some peace and quiet in my dungeon listening to the radio and nobody bothering me....now that is PRICELESS :cool:

Absolutely AMEN to that, Brother!

Mine is starting to come together. For the longest time, my basement has been plagued by the fact that I live on a hill and water runoff is a contant issue. I seem to have a sump pump failure every time I go on a business trip and my GF is left dealing with the problem. Not to mention the face that the walls and floor are always seemingly damp from the high water table pushing through. If I loose power for more than a couple hours, I will have a foot of water build up in my basement. Not the ideal place to keep anything of value, let alone set up shop.

Well in the past couple months, I have had a friend helping me out doing work in exchange for rent. The entire basement has been sealed with Drylock to keep the water from seeping throught the cinderblock walls, epoxied the floors for a durable floor covering, added a second sump pump as a backup in case the main pump should fail, placed my water alarm that is part of my security system in the second sump bucket (that means I get a warning phone call that my water alarm has gone off and I know I am using the backup pump), I am orginizing the existing shelving all to the outter walls to gain maximum floor space, and I have started my workshop.

I also hard wired a generator outlet outside for power failures so if I loose power, I have a power source to power the heat, hot water, fridge, and 3/4 of the house.

Basicly I have prepared my man cave for ongoing usage.

Now on to the good stuff. I made a deal with the gorlfriend, she gets her own space for laundry/crafts table in exchange with the understanding that NO ONE touches or expects use of my workbench but me. That means I have my OWN SPACE to do with as I please. Fair enough I thought.

So, I spent all day yesterday cutting, building and finishing the tabletops of our new workspaces. I WAY over engeneered the tables so that there is never a worry. I know I spent more than probably nessessary, but I wanted to be happy with the results and do this ONCE!

I used the 2x4 Basics kits I found when looking for a bench setup for my work. That got me the bench and shelving kits. Found a great deal on Amizon for them. Then with the 2x4's and a sheet of standard 3/4" plywood and one cabinet grade oak plywood sheet I was off and running. Three coats of shallac later and the tabletops were done!

A friend had a couple boxes of carpet squares he got from a jobsite he worked on a while back he gave me for free. So I plopped them down on the floor in front of each bench.

Tomorrow I plan to go out and get the rest of the lumber to build the shelves and I can begin moving in! Until then here is how they look.

Her new spot

2011-12-24212254.jpg

My future man space

2011-12-24212303.jpg

The beautiful tabletop finish

2011-12-24212742.jpg

and for S&G's here is the sump pump upgrade we did. Had to break throught the floor and dig a second hole almost a foot deeper than the first. (The one on the left)

2011-12-26001518.jpg

Dude, thats great! The benches look awesome and i especially like the way theyre cut back on the bottom so you can sit at them!

Nice work!

That is a great looking job. I like the space on the bottom shelf cut back for leg room. Great idea. Not many diy's would think of that...

side note. my basement would leak every time it rained as well so i know kinda what you're goin through. I installed a curtain drain at the footing and then (overkill) another 1' down from the surface. Then I epoxied the floor and walls. no mold...no water! good luck with your new sumps....

I remember at my Grandfathers years ago his sump broke and he didn't go in his basement regularly, so by the time he realized what was happening the water was up to the top step!!!
we have a good laugh thinking about gramp's indoor pool every so often.

Ripsnortr,
Very nice benches indeed!
The top looks like red oak from the photo!

I would add a thermometer which shows temp and humidity. Also a couple of wall outlets near your bench would come in handy.

Great job on the benches!
They are beautiful!
The added useable space to the house is a great thing.
Well worth all the effort you put in.

Thank you for the compliments guys.

I have laid out the plans to bring power to the benches and that is the last part. My buddy is an electrician and will tie everything in to a new breaker on my service after I run the wires and place the boxes.

I got the benches finished and we started putting everything away today. Now to start some of those other lingering projects...

2011-12-26183632.jpg

2011-12-26183645.jpg

Back