• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first gun, then and now.

Racer88

My first firearm ever was a Harrington & Richardson single-shot 12-ga shotgun. The model was also known as the "Pardner" or "Topper" (like Ford and Mercury).

It had a 3-inch chamber. Single-action hammer-fired. Break-open action. Case-hardened steel receiver. Love that case-hardened look!

It was lightweight and kicked like a mule! I blew up a lot of s**t with that gun.

When I was 16, my family moved back to the "south" US (after 11 years overseas). I was an impressionable high-schooler, and I couldn't help noticing everyone had guns. AT SCHOOL (in the parking lot, in their trucks).

So, I had to get a gun, of course! In 1979, at age 16, I went down to Gibson's (a local department store similar to Walmart) and bought a Harrington & Richardson Topper single-shot 12-gauge. No background check. No parent needed. I just needed the cash, which was somewhere between $60 and $80, if I recall. I want to say I paid $65 for the gun in 1979.

I could also buy ammo at age 16, no problem. I usually got my ammo at the local Western Auto.

Mostly, I blew up targets like soda cans and old appliances at illegal dumps out in the woods behind the house. I went "hunting" a number of times. Never shot anything (living) with it. But, yeah.... that shotgun kicked like a mule. Every time I fired it, I was reminded of the power of a 12-ga round in a lightweight single-shot shotgun.

In 1985, our family's home burned to the ground. My dad was able to save his guns, but mine went down with the house. I was away at school and not shooting, so I didn't replace it.

In recent years, I had thought of recreating the memory of that gun. But, H&R went out of business. And, most of the used guns I'd see for sale online were in really bad shape. Last December (2021), I went on the "hunt" again. I found one that looked good! For $120 + $50 (shipping) + $30 (NICS and FFL transfer), I had it in my hands! It looked to be in very good shape!

1667480010237.png

The stock has a few nicks / bumps. But, overall the wood looks very good. The barrel looks good on the exterior.
1667480048018.png

The bore was super-dirty! I tried to get some photos with my phone. Hopefully it's just crud and not rust.

Multiple soakings with bore cleaner. Soaking again right now. It's getting better, but I've doused it with CLP again and letting it sit overnight with the ends sealed with baggies and rubber bands.
1667480085213.png

The barrel isn't perfect. But the pitting is mild, and the barrel is safe to shoot. The gun is 1984 vintage (according to the serial #), so it's 38 years old!
1667480136372.png

I found some stupid-expensive ammo to test it out. And, so I did! The local indoor range allows only buckshot or slugs.

I think it just looks good and "just right" standing in a corner like this:
1667480172200.png

Then I took it to the range for the first time. Holy crap! I remember the shotgun of my teen years having some serious recoil. But, that was 40 years ago. Today... I fired two rounds of 00-buckshot and ONE slug.

Round 1 of buckshot... "DAMN! That's a kick!"
1667480210081.png

Round 2 of buckshot... "Fuuuuuuu**! That hurts!"
1667480252101.png

OK... Let's try a slug... "OMFG!" It felt like a prize fighter hit me HARD, square in the shoulder!
1667480326468.png

It was at that point, I put the shotgun away and switched to my Glock 23 for some practice! LOL!

I ordered a "Limbsaver" pad right away! I also decided to try to get a 20-ga barrel for it.

Also, is it just me? Or is there something just kinda cool about a break-action shotgun shooting that empty shell out of the back, and over your shoulder, after firing when you open it? Even the sound it makes is cool. Thwoop!

(Continued on next comment due to photo limits per post.)

The "LimbSaver" ain't pretty, but hopefully it will tame the beast!
1667480577499.png

Woohooo! Then I won a 20-ga barrel on eBay!

Funny... I started bidding several days before the scheduled end of the auction. And over the following days, I was outbid and outbid again. I almost forgot about the end of the auction! Totally spaced it out! I logged in with 30 seconds left in the auction! Yikes!

Of course, I had been outbid, so I decided it was go-time! I went big. Outbid again! 10 seconds left! I made as big a bid as I was willing to go and hope that nobody else had bid more. Booya!
Winning bid as the clock wound down! And, I got it for a bit less than my max bid.

I figured having a 20-ga barrel will give me a couple of benefits.

First, I will have the option of 12 or 20 gauge, depending on availability and price of ammo.

Secondly, shooting 20-ga should be easier on my shoulder! The barrel appears to be in good condition.

Here's the cool part... I had been told that while the H&R Topper barrels are interchangeable, they often have to be fitted / smithed a bit. I guess I got lucky! This thing fits perfectly and locks up tight!

20-ga barrel installed on the gun in this photo. Original 12-ga barrel below.
1667480641070.png

Now... to find 20-ga ammo! LOL! I had to look hard but found some online. NONE of the local stores had any.

I got to test fire the 20-ga barrel. Works perfectly! 20-ga ammo is much milder to shoot.

I also tested the recoil pad with 12-ga slugs. MUCH better! Still a good thump. But, it doesn't hurt!

The local outdoor rifle range requires slugs only at 25 yards, fired from the bench. I am unaccustomed to using a bead sight at 25 yards. But, I hit the target every time.
1667480680781.png

Of course, I had to pimp it out a bit more. I found a custom leather dude that makes some nice cartridge cuffs.

I think it goes perfectly with the shotgun. I went with 20-ga for the ammo loops. I have a 20-ga barrel for it, but the 12-ga barrel was attached when I took the photos. The cuff came from Mason Leather in Plano, Texas. Made to order.
1667480772464.png

1667480781921.png
1667480794505.png

I just love the gun! I love the simplicity of it. And, I love the memories it brings back.

Last edited:
You are a man after my own heart.

It's good to be able to remember days gone by, but also look forward into the future.

There are many of us here who have old H&R and NEF guns. Myself included. The one I have looks very similar to yours.

It's the one that I bought to let my youngest son grow into it. It started out being my wifes stepfathers gun. He had bought it after he married her Mom. It was a 410 bore because my mother in law didn't really like shooting anything larger. They kept it until after he passed away.

I ended up buying it for $120, which truth be told is probably about what he paid for it new back then, and I got a box of shells with it. Only 3 had been taken out. My MIL said that was probably the only shells she could think of that had been shot through it.

So, my youngest learned how to shoot with it with the small bore, and I did end up sending it to Remington in Illion NY (who all belonged to Cerberus at the time) and they fitted it with a 20 ga, 12 ga, and a 357/38 barrel. so it has seen him be able to grow into it.

I'm sure @nitesite also has a fondness for them as well.

I have used the limbsaver pads, but find them to be too "gummy" or "rubbery" and "sticky". Meaning, they just don't really slide into place too good.

I have been using Pachmyer (sp?) more often these days. They're "slicker" albeit a little harder material. Or, at least the ones that I've been using are.

Edit to add: A suggestion about the fouling. If you use a copper wire brush on a long cleaning rod, will help. Especially if you chuck it up in a cordless drill and run it through the barrel about a gazillion times. It'll shine up the bore like a new penny and won't hurt anything.

Cool story about your "heirloom" gun. :cool:

I have used the limbsaver pads, but find them to be too "gummy" or "rubbery" and "sticky". Meaning, they just don't really slide into place too good.
It was an effort to get it put on. But, once it was on.... good to go. And it works very well.

Edit to add: A suggestion about the fouling. If you use a copper wire brush on a long cleaning rod, will help. Especially if you chuck it up in a cordless drill and run it through the barrel about a gazillion times. It'll shine up the bore like a new penny and won't hurt anything.
I took it a step further than that. I got the "Flex Hone" tools and did some honing. I also got a bore scope. After honing, it looks pretty good, but some pitting is still there in the original 12-ga barrel. Here's a video of the bore scope:

The 20-ga barrel's bore is about perfect as it came to me.

I'd be interested in how much the 20ga barrel was. For reference... ;)

A half-dozen years ago I had a couple of the Toppers in 12ga. Near identical except for the pattern of the case hardening. $65 each at a local pawn shop. I couldn't find comparo pics of the two but I did shorten the barrel on one to 18.5" and put an ATI stock and handguard on it. Sold the long one then the modded one eventually. I found both uncomfy to shoot and got mildly cut by the trigger or trigger guard from recoil. I have a limbsaver here but I think I bought it for the similar, but smaller Rossi we have in .410...

shorty2.jpg

shorties.jpg
twin4.jpg
rossi3.jpg

Back