• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Mossberg 590A1 Mod

fellmann

Esoteric
Supporter
I think i will start my own thread about everything i do to my Mossberg 590A1. I dont like "hijack" others threads :) and i dont want to have all my single modifications scattered all over the forum and maybe hard to find for other who want inspiration to do their mods etc.

This is my rifle. A Mossberg 590A1 #51663. Gauge 12, Barrel Length 20", LOP 14.25", Length 41" A rail has replaced the back sight.

List of possible modifications to come. In no special order
  • Front Sight
  • Heatshield
  • Shorten top Rail
  • Red Dot Sight
  • Shorten Stock
  • Cheek Raise
  • Sling Attachements
  • Paint rifle

Can main post in a thread be open for edit / updates for an extended time ?

Last edited:
I removed the bayonet lug as well because I NEVER was going to use it for it's intended purpose and it poked me in the back when I had it on a sling.
i5m0dbF.jpg

I have been focusing on the rail / sights thing last days..

The rail have felt a bit to long and a bit sharp at the back. So.. i have shortened it a bit and started to round the edges ( i will round them more ).
Stage one is done.. I will continue maybe later today or tomorrow.
Since i dont have a garage and nice tools, "handjob" have a different meaning for me atm :laugh:

20190224_114926_hd.jpg
20190224_124046_hd.jpg
20190224_130133_hd.jpg

I have also ordered a Bushnell TRS 25 which i assume is a good red dot for the money, and on a shotgun.. i hope..
bushnell.trs25.jpg

I like the TRS-5. I have one that was on a rifle that shot .223 ammunition for about 100 rounds and has been on a semi automatic shooting .22 long rifle since. I looked into using it with more powerful calibers. Most reports said it did fine on shotguns and rifles shooting .308 but that they didn't have a long term report to give. I will like to hear how it does for you.

I like the TRS-5. I have one that was on a rifle that shot .223 ammunition for about 100 rounds and has been on a semi automatic shooting .22 long rifle since. I looked into using it with more powerful calibers. Most reports said it did fine on shotguns and rifles shooting .308 but that they didn't have a long term report to give. I will like to hear how it does for you.
I will keep you informed.. short and long term performance :)

Since i dont have a garage and nice tools, "handjob" have a different meaning for me atm :laugh:

There is something to be said about having hand tools and knowing how to use them. :) I have a hack saw hanging under my vise and a mill bastard within easy reach on the work bench. I keep a can of flat black spray paint on the shelf for things like you have done. Looks good, BTW!

That looks really good, man. Get some aluminum black for the edges or spray paint it with rustoleum. I have the UTG rail on my 590 and the NCstar on my 500. I thought the same thing about the UTG rail though; too long and uncomfortable, sharp edges. I put it in my vise and filed the edges slightly to smooth them out and then put a rubber rail cover on it.

I have mounted the rail again. The Loctite Threadlocker was blue :) the bottle was red but the fluid was blue... ^^
The Bushnell Red Dot is mounted...

While trying get a good cheek weld, or whatever you call it in english.. i had to move up the cheek rest quite a bit... It is sort of ok now..

I decided to check Google for images of shotguns / Mossbergs with red dots.
Many images later, i realized that, it was very many images :D of shotguns with red dots.. BUT, i rarely saw any cheek raisers on the stocks !!?

I must ask.. You dont bother getting a good cheek weld, in the US, when using red dots ?
Do i really need a cheek raiser ? i'm confused now..
I gladly accept input about this :)

20190226_212841_hd.jpg
20190226_212922_hd.jpg
20190226_212929_hd.jpg

Back