• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need advise on a sling setup, 590

Marvel

Hey ya
There are so many choices out there that I am probly confusing myself researching.
6 (2 3/4") round tube.
Wanting a sling setup where the side of the weapon will lay flat against my chubby lil body when slung. 2 point. Primarily a HD weapon, but may need to take on excursions when the zombies come. Price really isn't an issue, but I only want to shell out once. Pics would be helpful.
Apologies for redundancy, multiple searches of the forum did not yield useful information

Marvel, given your desire to have the weapon lay flat against your body you really need to focus on two aspects. Probably most importantly is how the sling of choice is attached to the 590. Given the original 590 attachment points the weapon tends to turn side wise or even upside down if using a simple sling and these original attachment points.. Many make a "bridle" from paracord or strap material that moves the rear sling attachment point to the top of the stock. This allows the weapon to lay flat against the chest (or on your back) and in a position for immediate use. On the front you can use a short loop of paracord which is attached to the post between the barrel and mag tube. This method point moves the front sling attachment point above the barrel.

I'd first experiment with the mount system described above and once you've got something that allows the weapon to hang flat against your chest then you can decide on a proper sling length which fits your body and carry position.

Hope this explanation is clear.

Regards

Marvel, given your desire to have the weapon lay flat against your body you really need to focus on two aspects. Probably most importantly is how the sling of choice is attached to the 590. Given the original 590 attachment points the weapon tends to turn side wise or even upside down if using a simple sling and these original attachment points.. Many make a "bridle" from paracord or strap material that moves the rear sling attachment point to the top of the stock. This allows the weapon to lay flat against the chest (or on your back) and in a position for immediate use. On the front you can use a short loop of paracord which is attached to the post between the barrel and mag tube. This method point moves the front sling attachment point above the barrel.

I'd first experiment with the mount system described above and once you've got something that allows the weapon to hang flat against your chest then you can decide on a proper sling length which fits your body and carry position.

Hope this explanation is clear.

Regards
Yes, Sir, it's clear. I was hoping to avoid the bridle type, I've seen pictures and it rather reminds me of the first M16 top sling adapter kit. Looks like a bunch of unnecessary crap on the stock. Bear (or bare) with me here. I'm going to try to include 2 pictures. Wondering if the slot on this sling mount would provide room for the clip on the sling to move freely, without gouging me in the belly or back.
RearSlingMount.jpg Sling.jpg

Marvel, you could certainly try that. I'd probably tie a short paracord loop through the elongated slot and attached the sling to the loop to assure freedom of movement. I'd also use ranger bands over the sling swivels to cut down on the noise.

My only concern with this mounting location vice the rear of the stock is your'e shortening the distance between the mounting points and that may have an impact of the ease of mounting the weapon and/or manuever. May not be an issue for you but if you need to swing the weapon to your backside to do other tasks this shortening may also impact that task.

If you haven't bought the hardware you could mock up a paracord loop right behind the trigger guard and test out the location and see if the reduced distance between mounting point works for you.

Years ago, when I was in the military, we went through several reindetitions of sling mounting methods on M-16/M-4 and AKs. You just needed to find one that fits your needs and worked with all the stuff your'e carring.

Let us know what you figure out is best for you.

Regards

Marvel, you could certainly try that. I'd probably tie a short paracord loop through the elongated slot and attached the sling to the loop to assure freedom of movement. I'd also use ranger bands over the sling swivels to cut down on the noise.

My only concern with this mounting location vice the rear of the stock is your'e shortening the distance between the mounting points and that may have an impact of the ease of mounting the weapon and/or manuever. May not be an issue for you but if you need to swing the weapon to your backside to do other tasks this shortening may also impact that task.

If you haven't bought the hardware you could mock up a paracord loop right behind the trigger guard and test out the location and see if the reduced distance between mounting point works for you.

Years ago, when I was in the military, we went through several reindetitions of sling mounting methods on M-16/M-4 and AKs. You just needed to find one that fits your needs and worked with all the stuff your'e carring.

Let us know what you figure out is best for you.

Regards
Good thought. I'll pull a sling off of something else and try that. Thanks

I've used paracord loops for a while now.

hd4zsAi.jpg

LOL, glad I found a thread with the already asked question.
I am researching the exact same issue. with the front sling attachment behind the bayonet attachment, and the standard stock EYE attachment, the gun tends to want to stand up on your back, rather than laying flat so i thought relocating to the side should help....

For a right handed shooter, i guess it makes sense for the sling to reside on the Left side of the gun in case you are wearing the sling in front, rather than in back. right??

but i thought i would try to mount a flashlight (unknown mounting) on the left side, so i could turn it on with my left hand, but if the sling and the light are on the left, is the light going to be contacting my back? should i expect to have the light on the right side of the gun?

LOL, glad I found a thread with the already asked question.
I am researching the exact same issue. with the front sling attachment behind the bayonet attachment, and the standard stock EYE attachment, the gun tends to want to stand up on your back, rather than laying flat so i thought relocating to the side should help....

For a right handed shooter, i guess it makes sense for the sling to reside on the Left side of the gun in case you are wearing the sling in front, rather than in back. right??

but i thought i would try to mount a flashlight (unknown mounting) on the left side, so i could turn it on with my left hand, but if the sling and the light are on the left, is the light going to be contacting my back? should i expect to have the light on the right side of the gun?
Thats why I opted for the Streamlight Racker. It keeps everything in one line. I've ordered a magpul side mount for the front, to keep the sling away from the front of the light, and a gg&g for the rear. That one goes between the stock and the receiver and will poke out the right side as I'm a left firer. Should keep it flat(ish) against my torso when in front. If not, I'll try something else. Briefs well. Looks good on paper. Might not work though.

I wish all of you good luck and success.

This kind of experience does not come quick or easy. I had to "fall down" a couple times before I finally got it right. And it was real world not range training. It was the experience, and not the money spent for a particular design, that put me over the top with what really works and that is where I stayed. There is a lot of marketing hype out there. It is easy to fall for much of it. Crazy story, but one of the best combat shotgun sling mounts didn't cost me more than a half-dollar. Some 550-cord in the right spot allowed my fighting shotgun to hang just right across my chest for a 2-point carry.

Best to all.......

Thats why I opted for the Streamlight Racker. It keeps everything in one line. I've ordered a magpul side mount for the front, to keep the sling away from the front of the light, and a gg&g for the rear. That one goes between the stock and the receiver and will poke out the right side as I'm a left firer. Should keep it flat(ish) against my torso when in front. If not, I'll try something else. Briefs well. Looks good on paper. Might not work though.

i am familiar with both of those attachments. i think a combination of those is my solution also.

Shoot simple range training drills and pretty much almost anything will probably work "Okay" for most of us.

Run and chase armed suspects, jump fences with a shotgun on you, hover over walls, shoot move and communicate with other team members, climb into apartment stairways in the dark, go "hands on" and let the shotgun sling do it's job so you can tackle and subdue somebody..... a sling is just as important as a life-saving flashlight and a good team member who has your six.

For some, it matters a shit-ton what sling you are going to run.

But play range games or run your course of your house scenario and it really matters a lot less what sling you have.

Couldn't agree more with Nitesite. Your sling should be capable of worst case operations and have enough adjustment to facilitate both strong or weak side operations plus length for firm retition across your back if you're doing tasks with your hands or bending over.

One trick i've always used once you have your sling mounted is to hold the center point of the sling out with your arm extended and see if the weapon hangs totally vertical as it would against your chest. Most original mounting points and manufactured slings will cause the weapon to flop over on its side or even upside down.

The other issue is noise. Many of these metal or even plastic fasenters either rattle themselves or bang against the weapon. You really want silent fasteners or make then silent with things like ranger bands.

Regards

Not meaning to beat on a dead horse......Right now I've got 550 cord for the front, but just the standard "bottom of the butt" mount in the back. That back one idn't workin out. HK type clips with elastic slip covers. I'm trying different things. Like the 7 round esstac shell card didn't work on the side of the receiver because I'm a lefty with a righty weapon. The long card interferes with my fire hand, so I mounted one on the left side of the stock. ehhh....at least they're there on hand now.

Marvel, guess I don't understand the interference problem with the shot card. I typically operate mine both right and left handed and if the shot card is mounted as far forward as possible on the receiver I haven't had any interference issues. The other option would be to cut down the shot card by one shell holder to make it shorter.

Not sure what to tell you on the sling. There were several suggestions offered above. To me the real issue is moving the rear attachment point to the top of the stock so the gun hangs straight vice flopping over or even hanging upside down.

Good Luck.

Regards

Last edited:
Marvel, guess I don't understand the interference problem with the shot card. I typically operate mind both right and left handed and if the shot card is mounted as far forward as possible on the receiver I haven't had any interference issues. The other option would be to cut down the shot card by one shell holder to make it shorter.

Not sure what to tell you on the sling. There were several suggestions offered above. To me the real issue is moving the rear attachment point to the top of the stock so the gun hangs straight vice flopping over or even hanging upside down.

Good Luck.

Regards
Thanks. Yeah, I've thought of cutting it down one round then burning the edges to prevent fraying.

Thanks. Yeah, I've thought of cutting it down one round then burning the edges to prevent fraying.

That might be a good start depending on your situation. Good luck. Might try a tube of cheap superglue before burning the edges.

The good news is, you will probably never ever need it. But it is good to be ready. And trained.

Last edited:
Just one other suggestion for mounting a sling attachment point one the top surface of the rear stock.

Given the stock is essentially hollow there should be no reason you couldn't drill a hole from the top surface of the stock into the hollow chamber and run a paracord loop through the hole. The loop for attaching the sling would only stick out an inch or so and you could tie it off inside the hollow opening. This would preclude using a bridle.

Just a thought for your consideration given you were not liking the bridle suggestion.

Regards

Back