• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Need Light Recommendations

OK, Now I feel like a total dumb ass 'cuz that pic of the stage light fooled me into thinking somebody was actually make a weapon light such as that. I'm laughing at myself because I got duped so easily. :) Ya got me good!!!!!

Are you asking me for MY opinion?
Not specifically, I wanted to hear what everyone thought of it. I ask because I have to order something from Numrich anyway and I can just add this to the order pretty easily, if I went with the Streamlight I'd have to wait until after Christmas.

OK, Now I feel like a total dumb ass 'cuz that pic of the stage light fooled me into thinking somebody was actually make a weapon light such as that. I'm laughing at myself because I got duped so easily. :) Ya got me good!!!!!
I totally thought you were being sarcastic

Not specifically, I wanted to hear what everyone thought of it. I ask because I have to order something from Numrich anyway and I can just add this to the order pretty easily, if I went with the Streamlight I'd have to wait until after Christmas.

Okay. So my opinion is that anything that says Milspec and "used by SWAT" yet imports and sells for $29 is very questionable.

I really do not want to be taken for a snob, but I know I sound kinda like one.

Thanks to the thread starter @S.R. Crawford , i started to dig deeper in the long gun weapon light subject. Thanks man :)
After looking at many videos and reviews, i have decided to get "Streamlight PROTAC RAIL MOUNT HL-X LONG GUN LIGHT" for my shotty.
Link: https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-hl-x
Why did i choose this light ?
Well..
#1 - it is much flashlight and quality for the money.
#2 - There is a pressure pad included ( i want the light on one side and the switch on the other on my shotgun )
Now i just have to wait for the money :D

Last edited:
Flashlight ordered ! I had to lend some money from my old mother to get it before Christmas. The light is expensive over here, aprox $230

How is it going @S.R. Crawford ? Found any interesting lights ?
I think I'm going to go with the Streamlight Polytac for its price and reliability. Going to put it in an ATI barrel clamp because I think that would be the least intrusive way to go, and the GG&G mount is $35 not including the actual light mount itself. I'm also going to work on a red light filter for it, if possible I'm going to slip a piece of gel film under the main lens. Otherwise I'll stick something on externally, probably repurpose an old scope lens cover. I want the red light for hunting coyotes.

If I could afford it I like the look of the Protac too, but I'm not real into pressure switches on pumpguns.

S.R., years ago, before folks like Maglite came out with filters we used various colored bottle caps. Some caps would slip over the end of the flashlight while others we cut out the actual flat portion of the top and used either tape or a ranger bands to hold them in place. Different colors were used for signaling on missions and red for reading maps.

Old school but it works!

Regards

S.R., years ago, before folks like Maglite came out with filters we used various colored bottle caps. Some caps would slip over the end of the flashlight while others we cut out the actual flat portion of the top and used either tape or a ranger bands to hold them in place. Different colors were used for signaling on missions and red for reading maps.

Old school but it works!

Regards
Exactly! Figure I can just make one and save a few bucks. Slipping it in under the lens just means I can keep everything a bit cleaner, although a bit of 100mph tape always looks sweet.

S.R., with the advent of today's thin plastic soda bottles you could probably cut some rounds to fit from the bottle itself.

Back in the early days after Maglite came out with their thin color lenses we would stack them achieve the level of light transparency and color we needed for missions. You could do the same with multiple rounds cut from these one liter soda bottles. They seem to come in all colors.

I'd be careful putting them inside the original clear flashlight lens on some of these newer led flashlight that get very hot after a few minutes. Probably would melt the colored lenses and make a mess inside the flashlight. But you certainly could use either tape or ranger bands to attach them to the outside.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.

Regards

S.R., with the advent of today's thin plastic soda bottles you could probably cut some rounds to fit from the bottle itself.

Back in the early days after Maglite came out with their thin color lenses we would stack them achieve the level of light transparency and color we needed for missions. You could do the same with multiple rounds cut from these one liter soda bottles. They seem to come in all colors.

I'd be careful putting them inside the original clear flashlight lens on some of these newer led flashlight that get very hot after a few minutes. Probably would melt the colored lenses and make a mess inside the flashlight. But you certainly could use either tape or ranger bands to attach them to the outside.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.

Regards
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought I had some red transparent film that I was going to use but I can't find it. I see your point about putting it on the inside. What are ranger bands?

Ranger Bands - these are cuttings from bicycle tire tubes which can be stretched to hold things in place including gear and attachment to weapons.

Tubes come in different sizes and you simple cut a section at whatever width you need to hold things. There are companies on line that sell ranger bands but taking a bicycle tube you can cut many from a single tube.

Hint: If you have a bicycle repair shop near they will likely give you junk tubes for free. if not, buy one or two from any store and cut away. I keep both a mountain bike and road bike tube on hand and the two sizes usually fit everything dealing with weapons and gear. For ATV gear hold downs you can use bands made from a wheel borrow tube which is much larger.

For a flashlight simply stretch one over the bezel cap and let it overlap the colored lenses or bottle tops.

Regards

Fellmann, before I'd spend that kind of money I'd try homemade ones.

Think the key to using a flashlight in tactical or HD scenarios were talking about, where you might need filters, would be very judicial use of the on switch.

I always treated flashlights like weapons by first, making sure of no negligent discharges from either and secondly, like the use of any weapons light minimizing the on time to brief flashes.

The only time I've every used a flashlight with a colored lens for longer periods of time was when reading maps or repairing equipment in the field. And this was with a hand held light not a weapons mounted light. We also used hand held lights for signaling but these were a series of different colored preplanned flashes.

By using light discipline I would think you could avoid over heating the lights. Bottle caps were the best things to use in the old days because you could carry different colors and have a ranger band on you flashlight. Just jam the bottle cap over the flashlight head and pull the ranger band over it to hold it in place. Three to four second change out of lenses.

Regards

Ive learned some new words like light discipline.. never heard about that during my time in the Lapland Rangers..

nitesite, appreciate the compliment but I'm just an old guy, likely the oldest on the forum, who lives by the old ways and relies on the things I've learned during difficult times in my life.

One of my philosophies is "Life Preservation vice Wealth Preservation"

I've said it before, but thanks again for your years of public service brother!

Regards

Back