• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 4x4 338

Hi everyone. I just purchased a new 4x4 338, and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14 scope. The rifle already has 2 piece weaver style mounts attached. I need help in selecting the proper ring heights (ie: low, med or hi). And also any suggestions for the rings that you would use.
Thanks in advance.
Alex

Howdy jetdriver, and welcome to the club.

I went with high rings with my 50mm scope on my 4x4. As far as rings go I think one of the best rings on the market are the Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply. I guess you figured it out that I meant 2 piece mounts. I'm looking at the Burris Signature Zee Rings. Thanks

Like Dan said, the appropriate height of your rings will be determined by your optic's objective diameter. A scope with a 50mm objective will require more clearance that one with a smaller objective diameter. Taking a simple measurement will determine which mount height you need. I believe Burris measures their ring heights from the bottom of the scope tube to the bottom of the ring base. Position your scope tube at a level height above the receiver to where the forward objective is just clear of the barrel. Take a measurement from the top of your mount to the botom of the scope tube and that will give you an approximate minimum clearance height for your mount. Compare that measurement to Burris' specs for to determine which height ring you'll need.

Hope this helps...

I put the same scope on mine. I've only shot mine at the range once, but so far I'm impressed. I knew I definitely wanted the 4-14X40 for long range shooting. I got the Bullet Drop Compensation Dots, which I'm unsure of at the moment, but for 10$ extra I decided to go for it. Only time will tell, and use in the field, which I won't get to do for quite a while. Let me know how you like yours. I'm also unsure of the mounting system I have, I'm considering going with Leupold bases and rings instead of the stock weaver style. Again, time will tell. :?:

I still haven't shot mine yet. I ordered DNZ med. mounts. (one piece). It should arrive this week some time. I also will be mounting the Nikon BDC scope. It'll be a few more weeks until I get to shoot it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back