• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 4x4 Cartridge Offerings:

For 2011 Mossberg has added a few extra chamberings for the 4x4 line of rifles. They are all for the short action model and like all other 4x4's they come with fluted barrels and removable muzzle brakes w/thread protectors provided in standard matte black or marine coat. They have retained all stock styles except the synthetic skeletonized stock.

The 2011 line up is as follows:
Short action; 22/250 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm/08 Rem, 308 Win, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM and 300 WSM.
Long action; 25/06 Rem, 270 Win, 30/06 Springfield, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag.

This is great news. I like them offering full length (24" barrels) rifles in these short action cartridges. Most manufacturers limit the barrel length on their 'affordable' rifle lines, chambered for these cartridges, at 21 to 22 inches. There are a number of virtues that carbines and short rifles have under certain hunting situations but for range work, plains or open country hunting it's hard to beat a 'true' rifle. A 24" tube will squeeze out a little to quite a bit of extra velocity, subject to cartridge style and powder used, over a 21 or 22 inch bore. I also feel that they look 'more balanced'. Years ago, 24" barrels were the norm for standard cartridges and 26" or longer barrels for magnums. 26" barrels, especially w/muzzle brakes that push total length to about 28", can get a little unwieldy in the field and with all of the newer, more efficient powders available, I feel fine with a 24' tube on a magnum. I suppose that it also makes sense, on a manufacturing basis, to have the entire 4x4 line standardized with 24" barrels. I'm very happy with the way the 4x4 line of rifles is evolving. They also seem to be gaining some respect from the elitists (you know the type of people I mean)!

I do wish that they would add a carbine and/or a short rifle option in the appropriate cartridges. A carbine version (18 to 18.5") in 7.62x39 and 308 Win. A short rifle version (20 to 21") in 223 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm/08 Rem and 308 Win.

I also wish they would come out with a full length heavy barrel option in 223 Rem, 22/250 Rem, 308 Win, 7mm WSM and 300 WSM for varmint, target or tactical use. I feel that the 4x4 platform makes a much better tactical platform (w/detachable mag & muzzle brake) than the ATR (Night Train) that they are marketing as 'tactical'. I don't really see anything tactical about it besides the digital camo stock and I prefer the 4x4 style muzzle brake to 50 BMG knock off that's on the NT.

As fast as this line of rifles is evolving, I bet we will see some of these wishes come true in the next few years. I sure hope so!

I currently own the Mossberg 4x4 in 30-06 but plan to purchase another Mossberg 4x4 in the .308 WIN this year. I too would love to see a 18.5" bull barrel version of the Mossberg 4x4 in .308 WIN and .223. It is very exciting to see the Mossberg 4x4 line evolve.

I heard through the grapevine that a .223 varmit version of the Mossberg 4x4 bolt action is in the works :twisted:

DHonovich said:
I currently own the Mossberg 4x4 in 30-06 but plan to purchase another Mossberg 4x4 in the .308 WIN this year. I too would love to see a 18.5" bull barrel version of the Mossberg 4x4 in .308 WIN and .223. It is very exciting to see the Mossberg 4x4 line evolve.

I too wanna see a shorter barrel!

Back