• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 510 Won't Accept Shells

Thanks for the welcome and the info, old mossy! I'll cut it down by about 1 and 3/4 shells. It could already take 1/2 of a 2 3/4" shell, so if I cut it down by 1 and 3/4 shell lengths, It should take 2 of the 2 3/4" or 2 3" shells, I hope. Do I just shove it back through the hole after I cut it down? Seems a bit junky of a method.

Thanks again,
Mark

Like I mentioned before,make sure it is ALL the way in the mag tube each time you cut a little off.
Once you are at the point where only two shells fit in the tube you can cut another 1" off just to make up for different length shells.
,,,and yes just put it in the tube when finished no special tricks.

Mine had the same long dowel when I got it. I will say that the instructions do mention it being there, as a training measure to limit youth shooters to shooting one shell at a time. The dowel is to be removed when the youth is proficient with the gun. With the dowel completely removed, it will barely hold 3 3" shells, although if you use the 3" Winchester PDX-1 shells, it will only hold 2 of those, as they are slightly longer.

The 510 comes with a full length mag plug to make the gun a single shot. Makes it safer for kids just learning. You guys were right.

Back