• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 590S

Got mine today. Installation was a pain because I had to remove my Laser Saddle and sidesaddle. But I got it installed. Everything cycles well, but I haven't fired it yet. I suspect that it works just fine.

I ordered one kit. For $25 and free shipping it’s a pretty cheap experiment. If it works it may find a home in my HD gun. I figure in that application it would allow me to strategically ready load the gun as well as allow me to feed ammo without having to worry about what it is especially under stress. All 12 ga of course.
It will also allow me to try some mini shells. I’ve not tried them since none of my M500’s are capable of running them.

I ordered one kit. For $25 and free shipping it’s a pretty cheap experiment. If it works it may find a home in my HD gun. I figure in that application it would allow me to strategically ready load the gun as well as allow me to feed ammo without having to worry about what it is especially under stress. All 12 ga of course.
It will also allow me to try some mini shells. I’ve not tried them since none of my M500’s are capable of running them.
You've got that right! If the first few minishells don't work, the 3" at the end sure will! We really enjoy the minis, especially the slugs. Great for plinking!

I installed the kit today and it was super easy. The time it takes you to disassemble the shut gun and remove the magazine tube is the time it takes for installation. The mag tube follower seems solid and inserting the plastic piece in front of the trigger assembly takes seconds. I ran some 2.75” shells thru it and the plastic piece does not seem to get in the way. I don’t have any minis to test but I will keep my eyes out for some. My only question is how will the plastic piece do in really cold temps. Not that my HD gun will see really cold temps but a walk thru the woods shotgun will.
Below are some pics. The kit comes with a cool sticker that will be stuck on my work bench.

67547A76-B290-4FB1-9513-3F9CD5B88A79.jpeg A46C0485-1394-4156-9A86-A22A2997546D.jpeg BFBECBA4-12B1-4DAF-82C7-239B8BDCE507.jpeg

Last edited:
I installed the kit today and it was super easy. The time it takes you to disassemble the shut gun and remove the magazine tube is the time it takes for installation. The mag tube follower seems solid and inserting the plastic piece in front of the trigger assembly takes seconds. I ran some 2.75” shells thru it and the plastic piece does not seem to get in the way. I don’t have any minis to test but I will keep my eyes out for some. My only question is how will the plastic piece do in really cold temps. Not that my HD gun will see really cold temps but a walk thru the woods shotgun will.
Below are some pics. The kit comes with a cool sticker that will be stuck on my work bench.

View attachment 27939 View attachment 27940 View attachment 27941
Hope you are able to get your hands on some minis soon!

Federal Mini shells are starting to show up, Midway has the #8 shot and more importantly #4 Buck (15 pellet buffered) but they are limiting purchase to 3 boxes (10 rd box).

As to the original post, the parts required are bolt, trigger group (housing), bolt carrier and lifter, short answer is the parts are not being sold separately.

I just ordered adapter kit from Defender Tactical this weekend (my wife placed the order I think), I will test the heck out of it. The obvious benefit (selling point) is the ability to run 2 3/4" , mini's or mixed length without removing an adapter.

I don't like the video on their site with the Opsol being compared, it looks like a loose Opsol and staged (cheap shot), it is pushed in at the rear to induce the fail, use of broken/defective 590S trigger group housing tab (arrester) ?, reminds me of the over the top TV commercial with stuff falling out of cabinets, food all over the kitchen, burnt eggs in a pan, you don't need to slant a video if the product does as advertised, a video of a side by side test with both adapters in working order not tampered with would be the ticket, both would be equal right up to the point of feeding 2 3/4" shells or mixing (loading tube and running), this would show product superiority for the task at hand (not having to remove adapter), I just purchased one but almost didn't because of this video.

I have run Opsol for years, the 2.0 I have is very tight and is difficult to remove , Defender Tactical needs to just let their product speak for them and let the ability to mix shell length be the selling point, this point alone will sell the product, not hinky video.

Last edited:
I don't like the video on their site with the Opsol being compared, it looks like a loose Opsol and staged (cheap shot), it is pushed in at the rear to induce the fail, use of broken off 590S trigger group housing tab ?, reminds me of the over the top TV commercial with stuff falling out of cabinets, food all over the kitchen, burnt eggs in a pan, you don't need to slant a video if the product does as advertised, a video of a side by side test with both adapters in working order not tampered with would be the ticket, both would be equal right up to the point of feeding 2 3/4" shells or mixing (loading tube and running), this would show product superiority for the task at hand (not having to remove adapter), I just purchased one but almost didn't because of this video.
Sorry our adapter comparison video turned you off, but thanks for ultimately deciding to buy it on the merits vs some impressions you have of our ethics that are mistaken.

The video is not misleading or a "slanted", it wasn’t staged or biased or deceitful in any way. The OpSol product can be dislodged without much effort as it is only an interference fit. It rides on the action and it is not uncommon that it will work its way out of place through continued cycling. If you read the comments on the video, OpSol themselves admit the adapter can become dislodged.

In addition to not being deceitful, I can assure you our only intent was to demonstrate and compare the robustness of the attachment mechanisms of all three options. The parts were brand new out of the box, the video is continuous with absolutely no commentary, and it speaks for itself.

Anyway if our video offended you, please accept our most sincere apologies, no disrespect was ever intended. The Opsol guys are the original, they paved the way for widespread minishell usage, and if you read through the comments to that video, you’ll see we gave them the all proper respect that they deserve.

Reactions: ZED
I wasn't offended, I stated my opinion based on how it looked to me. If your product works it does not need a "vs" video.
I made the purchase based on a need/want for the ability to run multi length shells without removing parts and not wanting to purchase another Mossberg (590S), your product is said to work, that's what I need.

I wasn't offended, I stated my opinion based on how it looked to me. If your product works it does not need a "vs" video.
I made the purchase based on a need/want for the ability to run multi length shells without removing parts and not wanting to purchase another Mossberg (590S), your product is said to work, that's what I need.
BIG BOLD RED LETTERS with critical and demeaning language usually means someone is offended.

It's blue now, better. It was my take on things and color was to highlight statement, critical maybe, demeaning not really.
The first fail was the Opsol it was clearly pushed in at the rear when the action was open resulting in it tipping when action was closed, 590S the arrester was pointing up and not in it's correct position, starting with the dovetail out and action open, the last was their/your product so to me looked staged for others to fail.
So no criticizing or opinions of a product no matter what you think, only fan club members need to post, I was actually trying to make the point that the product should stand on it's own merits and not pick on the other guy, no need for it, it fits a space in the market and if it functions as advertised and lasts will bring an end to the Opsol product, that's life.
If my opinions came off demeaning, that's what was read in and not intent, critical, yes without question.
I just got an email that my kit is in the mail, was ordered over the weekend. Green highlight text indicates my view of what I saw in the video, blue is to hard to see.

Last edited:
Guy's let's get back on subject please. (Mossberg 590 Shockwave.)

I've not had ANY issues with my Opsol 2. I leave it in all the time with 8 shorties in the tube.

In Caswell's defense, and NOT meant to be offensive against DT, BUT, a good salesperson should be able to show the merits of his/her product without actually having to disparage the opposing product... ;)

I finally found some Aguila mini shells. 1 box of buckshot and one box of slugs. I’m going to head down to the range soon and do some testing!

Federal Mini shells are starting to show up, Midway has the #8 shot and more importantly #4 Buck (15 pellet buffered) but they are limiting purchase to 3 boxes (10 rd box).

As to the original post, the parts required are bolt, trigger group (housing), bolt carrier and lifter, short answer is the parts are not being sold separately.

I just ordered adapter kit from Defender Tactical this weekend (my wife placed the order I think), I will test the heck out of it. The obvious benefit (selling point) is the ability to run 2 3/4" , mini's or mixed length without removing an adapter.

I don't like the video on their site with the Opsol being compared, it looks like a loose Opsol and staged (cheap shot), it is pushed in at the rear to induce the fail, use of broken/defective 590S trigger group housing tab (arrester) ?, reminds me of the over the top TV commercial with stuff falling out of cabinets, food all over the kitchen, burnt eggs in a pan, you don't need to slant a video if the product does as advertised, a video of a side by side test with both adapters in working order not tampered with would be the ticket, both would be equal right up to the point of feeding 2 3/4" shells or mixing (loading tube and running), this would show product superiority for the task at hand (not having to remove adapter), I just purchased one but almost didn't because of this video.

I have run Opsol for years, the 2.0 I have is very tight and is difficult to remove , Defender Tactical needs to just let their product speak for them and let the ability to mix shell length be the selling point, this point alone will sell the product, not hinky video.
looks to me they showed how the other product are inferior because they are not attached well. anyone been around rubber working against metal knows whats gonna happen. i dont want chunks rubber floating around in my gun. hell ill pay for the recoil 2 3/4 shells. im still not sold on mini shells anyway. i need less recoil when my arthritis is acting up i'll grab the unmentioned carbine. on good day i prefer shotty. but i want em both feed and feed well. no floating stuff in the action

Looks to me they showed how the other product are inferior because they are not attached well. Anyone been around rubber working against metal knows what's gonna happen. I don't want chunks rubber floating around in my gun, hell I'll pay for the recoil 2 3/4 shells. I'm still not sold on mini shells anyway. I need less recoil when my arthritis is acting up I'll grab the unmentioned carbine. on good day I prefer shotgun, but I want them both to feed and feed well, no floating stuff in the action.
See post #35 above. The original question was regarding converting 590 to 590S referencing parts needed and availability.

To your other comments, short shells are aimed at capacity, 2 3/4" shells can be/have the same recoil as the short ones as shell length has nothing to do with recoil but everything to do with mass and velocity, you can buy low recoil 2 3/4" shells.
The rubber parts in question are not really working against metal at all, they have the same interaction points.
The only thing wrong with mini shells is the availability.
As far as rubber bits floating around, I have never had that happen in thousands of rounds run, the only bits floating around I have seen are in my eyes.
The other (3rd) product is also a rubber compound piece and can be made to fail if pushed in a particular way with bolt open, on another post the seller of the third item notes that they never had the Mossberg 590S arrestor come out of the dovetail in use (I think it states "in the 100rds fired").

Last edited:
Back