• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 88 20 ga.

My new 88 20 has a modified choke installed. I won't be changing this out but am wondering about the care and cleaning. Do I need to remove it every so often to clean it.
I haven't had a newer shotgun since the screw on chokes....
Yeah, I'm older than dirt...........

Yes. If you don't, carbon and debris will get in there and corrosion will start. Eventually, the choke can become "welded" into the bore.

Every time you clean your barrel, you should remove the choke and clean it and the threads in the barrel. Put some grease on the choke threads before putting it back in. They make special choke grease, but like so many things, I believe that's overkill.

I've put 1000's of rounds through mine without ever removing them. Only issues I've had is if they get wet and rust.

I bought a used 835 some years back that required an internal pipe wrench, a lot of liquid wrench and a lot of strength to break free. The threads were rusted and the tube was destroyed by the time it was removed.

I typically just put a thin coat of gun grease on the threads and snug it accordingly. The grease tends to make a light seal that repels water within reason.

I rarely take my shotguns apart to clean them. Seriously, I don't enjoy cleaning them at all.

I shot a bunch of old paper shells someone gave me and I noticed when I cleaned mine it had a bunch of paper in it. I would most definitely take it out and give it a good cleaning when you clean the gun. I just oil mine up when I put it back in. Haven't had any problems. But I clean mine after every shooting/outing.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

Hi, Schotz. I have a Mav 88 like yours and I also remove and clean the choke after every outing. It screws out easy enough with the wrench and oftentimes I can remove it by hand after shooting. I find a bit of bore cleaner on the barrel and tube threads along with an old toothbrush works just great. A bit of your favorite lube with a snug install and you'll be good-to-go. Dirt and corrosion have always been concerns in all my firearms. It's an old military habit.

Major Dad,
I have had some of my guns since I was 16, [70 years+now] and they were my dads before me. Just as good as when I received them. I clean them when I know they'll be idle.
My 116 year old 1886 is worn on the outside, darn near perfect internally. Previous owner took the same care as I.

I shot a bunch of old paper shells someone gave me and I noticed when I cleaned mine it had a bunch of paper in it. I would most definitely take it out and give it a good cleaning when you clean the gun. I just oil mine up when I put it back in. Haven't had any problems. But I clean mine after every shooting/outing.

Sent from my LGUS215 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Superman. Good morning to you as well.

I finally got around to checking my choke last night. I was able to stick my finger in and twist and it came right out. I put a drop of oil on the threads and twisted it right back in.

I typically just put a thin coat of gun grease on the threads and snug it accordingly. The grease tends to make a light seal that repels water within reason.

I rarely take my shotguns apart to clean them. Seriously, I don't enjoy cleaning them at all.

I would rather wash three cars than clean a gun. Don't ask me why. I have some neat guns too. They are kept clean. I just suck it up and do it.

I finally got around to checking my choke last night. I was able to stick my finger in and twist and it came right out. I put a drop of oil on the threads and twisted it right back in.

Put some anti seize thread grease on the threads of the barrel or the choke. You will appreciate it later.

Back