• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Brenneke Slug

Itsricmo

.30-06
Well I was fishing around for trajectory information on the KO Slug and Black Magic Mag I saw the "NEW" tag by a new name! It is reported for Rifled Barrels only but It looks like the same construct as the Black Magic Mag and is not in a plastic sleeve as most Sabot's are.. I am in process of contacting Brenneke on why they say "Rifled Only" but picture a basic Foster style Slug... EITHER WAY

I believe this is the heaviest 12ga slug available: Correct me if I'm Wrong:

1-1/2 Ounces (666 grains)
3" shell

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/magnumcrush.html

Yea that certainly looks like it would work just fine in smooth bore barrels. I would be interested to hear what they have to say about it. I agree I think this is one of the heaviest 3" slugs available.

I know there are heavier 3-1/2 (10ga) slugs but I don't know if their are any heavier 12ga slugs. CTD carries a "Heavy Shot" branded 3" slug that is 1-1/2 ounces but idk what they claim the grain size is.

I also asked about their Frangible slugs they have out. Questioned whether or not they are just LE availible

Dang! I'd like to try it out!

It does say rifled barrel only, but would like to know why.

Still awaiting a reply from Brenneke USA. Once I get a reply I will certainly pass on the info! I am also awaiting a reply from SEE ALL Open Sight company manager for a T&E session with their little device! They were GREAT CS the first go around for information, hoping for a great one this time and possibly no money outta my pocket unless I keep it

If they tell me that they are capable of being fired from a smooth bore with a decent result to be expected, I will gladly buy a box or two and record it for your enjoyment :)

This is what I have gotten in reply from a Brenneke USA rep:

I will see if I can answer your questions comparing our 3 inch Black Magic 1 3/8 oz with our new 1 1/2 oz Magnum Crush. It is somewhat confusing so bare with me.

Brenneke USA has in the past offered two 1 3/8 oz 3 inch slugs - - the Black Magic and the Gold Magnum. Both slugs have the same ballistics. However, the Gold Magnum was designed for rifle barrels only and the Black Magic was designed for both smooth or rifle barrels and any choke.

First I have to point out the purpose for the ribs on Brenneke slugs. The ribs are there only to allow the slug to pass through the constricted areas, the forcing cone in front of the chamber, the inside bore, and the choke. As the slug passes through these cionstriucted areas the ribs compress and keep the slug in its original shape for better down range accuracy and penetration. With the Black Magic, the ribs go in the traditional direction and can be used in either a rifle or smooth barrel and any choke - - improved cylinder, modified, or full choke. However, the more open the choke the better the accuracy. Competitive slugs are not recommended by them to be used in a smooth barrel with any choke other then improved cylinder.

The Gold Magnum was designed for rifle barrels only. The ribs on the outside of the Gold Magnum go in the opposite direction to grasp the rifling for somewhat better accuracy. The ribs on the Gold Magnum are more rigid and do not completely compress as the traditional ribs do on our other slugs. Therefore, it is necessary to have only a cylinder choke or open choke with no constriction. Most rifle barrels do not have any choke. This is the reason the Gold Magnum is recommended for rifle barrels only. If you have a smooth barrel shotgun you could use the Gold Magnum if it has an open choke which is unusual for a smooth barrel. You can see how difficult it is to explain this to the average hunter - - so Brenneke chooses the best way as "for rifle barrels only".

Now back to the new 3 inch, 1 1/2 oz Magnum Crush and your question. Brenneke designed the new Magnum Crush, a very hard hitting slug with both deep penetration and accuracy using the same opposite direction ribs as the Gold Magnum. There was no reason to continue with the Gold Magnum and the Magnum Crush replaces it. If you have an open choke with no constriction you can use it in your smooth barrel. Without the rifling in the barrel it may not be as accurate? I am attaching one of our current catalogs and on page 15 you can read about the ribs on the Brenneke slugs and their purpose as I have pointed out above.

I am not familiar with Brenneke having a frangible slug. If you want to let me know which slug you are referring to maybe I can somehow help you?

Hope this helps - -

Charlie Hays, Brenneke USA

EDIT: The frangible slugs are manufactured by Ddupleks not Brenneke... haha my bad fellas! Here goes another email! :D

I'm sorry guys, they are stuck with thinking inside the box. They are on the wrong track with them for a lot of reasons. They need some modern thinkers down there in the R and D department. If you want stopping power how about a lead / polymer one that opens up like an umbrella on impact?

12G said:
...They need some modern thinkers down there in the R and D department ...how about a lead / polymer one that opens up like an umbrella on impact?...

First off, I am HUGE supporter or Brenneke and I would recommend them any time someone asks! So take this FWIW :)

I think Brenneke is specifically sticking with inside the box and using the K.I.S.S. Method, because there are other companies spending the extra money on the specialty slugs. As for the Umbrella Slug, you are looking for the DDupleks Monolit slugs. I have spoken with Brenneke representatives numerous times and they are not planning on doing anything down that road, anytime soon.

I respect that sir, I support the forward thinking while keeping the tried and true. Im just a guy at home trying new ideas and discover some interesting configurations and have a whole lot of fun at the same time. I too started with Brenneke slugs and over time developed my own, which out perform the Brenneke for accuracy and impact. Ammo manufacturers should spend a bit of time playin around with new concept ideas, I am sure we as humans havn't discoverd all the possible ways to do things, there is more to be discoverd. Anyway it gives me massive excitement and a great reason to get up in the morning when there is some new ammo to test at the range. Oh one cool factoid on my home loads....My 12 gauge 1 oz slug load is only 1.5'' long, so I can get 11 rounds in my 930 spx. Rock on Brother.

How much FPS does that punch out?? Stats on those would be pretty neat to I over! Do you manufacture your own molds?

My hot loads are pushing 1691 fps. I dont like melting lead if I can help it so I made a set of dies and cold press the slugs under 20 ton of pressure.They are very high quality and have no voids and are very shiny. The fragmenting rounds come out of the same press but I use small chopped bits of lead and press them with a lot less force to make what looks like a normal slug but if you wack it with a hammer it crumbles into many small pieces. I dont use them on any game I intend to eat because it is seriously ugly whats left. The slugs fit nice and snug into a wad with the springy part cut out, thats how I can get them down to 1.5'' long. I do use a few cardbord discs in there to act as cushion. I am currently designing a test gun to record internal pressures etc so I can push the boundaries and not blow myself up. (that would hurt)

Yeah try not to kill yourself hahaa :p
I see you are from New Zealand, that kinda would make buying some slugs off ya.. REALLY HARD! lol..
Would you say that your slugs are Sabot?

You are right my friend, I belong to a pistol club here and we constantly have serious issues getting guns and parts from the States. It is a pain in the buttstock.That’s what you get when stupid terrorists attack my favourite country. The innocent get a another kick in the ammo box. When I figgure it out I can post a bunch if info for ya. You can do it!

th_SPXforend_zpsd2fee5d9.jpg
I got it sorted, Here are a few shots I have in the PC. The rail I made and fitted to the standard forend. I will now snap some more re ammo.
th_DSC01094_zpsc9ffc299.jpg

th_DSC01092_zps7bb41b14.jpg

Just picked up a box of Brenneke KO's to try out! Like TOMORROW!!!!

I LOVE!!! the KO's!! Great little slug! :D
I stopped by our Dick's Sporting Goods on my way home from a (failure) gun raffle but they don't have any yet. I am impatiently awaiting their arrival

Back