• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new carbine-Hi Point 995

JRExplorer3

.270 WIN
Picked up this carbine for $300 from a private party.
Seller had 3. Two 9mm and a .45ACP model.
As new, in box, unfired Hi Point 995
Didn't even have the charging handle knob installed yet.
Now I have a carbine that uses the same ammo as my handgun.
I have a cheap red/green dot I may install on it.

I really like pistol caliber carbines.

I like these and have been thinking I may like to get one someday, and like you, in the same caliber as my handgun.

Nice find. I have liked those for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

Thanks for the comments.
Can't wait to get it out to the range.
Messing with parts I had in my gun cabinet. Added a spare holographic red/green dot and tactical light.
I also added the sling swivels, factory sling and tossed it all into a spare soft case.
Plans are to remove the front rail under the barrel and add a barrel shroud ($20) for looks
and maybe a angled foregrip.
Don't want to dump a lot of $$ into this and keep it a fun gun.
now pics...............

I found that when firing my 995, the vibration would make that textured plastic cheek rest sting my cheek. There's at least one company that sells a moleskin pad to put on it. I cured mine by wrapping it with para-cord.

Removing the front and rear sights as well as the under-barrel rail and adding a red-dot sight changes the look of the rifle.

Who sells a barrel shroud?

I found that when firing my 995, the vibration would make that textured plastic cheek rest sting my cheek. There's at least one company that sells a moleskin pad to put on it. I cured mine by wrapping it with para-cord.

Removing the front and rear sights as well as the under-barrel rail and adding a red-dot sight changes the look of the rifle.

Who sells a barrel shroud?

you can find them on Ebay or Down Range Products.
https://www.downrangeproductsco.com/product-category/hi-point-carbine-accessories/

Pretty sweet pistol caliber carbine. I like 'em. I think you'll like yours.

Hmmmm..... I just hit up my buddy, I think we're gonna try building a couple ultra cheap, super tacticool fun guns.

I had one in 9mm. Came with a couple factory mags and a few extended mags (I forget who made them). Fun gun, the kids and I roasted a few hundred rounds out of it then the novelty wore off. Had some mag issues (FTF) but otherwise it worked good and was fairly accurate. Had an opportunity to trade for a Henry .22 lever-action and a couple hundred bucks so away it went.

Still have the Henry--nice assault weapon that can take 21 .22 shorts in its hi-cap tube mag! ;)

The Hi Point turned me off because of the mag issue. Maybe if I had a Hi Point pistol I would have kept it--I think they can share mags. But there never were and currently are no plans to acquire a Hi Point pistol unless the price is VERY good as in under $100... My next AR build will be a PSA 9mm that takes Glock mags of which I have MANY... :cool:

range report: 1/3/17
Took the 995TS and handguns to the range. Removed the red dot for this visit to check sights. Factory sights are pretty accurate out of the box. Indoor range max is 25 Yrds. Vision isn't as good as it used to be so I guess a scope is in the near future.
Put 150 rnds of Federal aluminum case 115 gr. 9mm FMJ downrange without a hitch. One 10 rnd. mag sucks.
I bought/received the 2 mag holder w/2 extra factory 10 rnd. mags and got it installed.
May still buy 1 Redball 20 rnd. mag, time will tell.
stock pic of Mag holder:

Didn't know that was an option.

The problem I had with that mag holder is that the rounds would slowly dribble out of the mags as I carried and shot the rifle. It didn't matter which way I put the mags in the holders (bullets pointing up or down), they would fall out.

I always thought a good idea would be a rubber or soft plastic cap that would fit over the end of each mag to stop that from happening. If you had the right fit, the cap would be dragged off as you slid a mag out of the holder. I never found anything the right size though.

I load the mags with the mag baseplate towards the butt with the rounds pointed up.
We'll see how it holds up when out in the desert shooting.
I really need to get a pic of mine.
another stock photo but mine are loaded in this same way:

Didn't know that was an option.

I had the mag holder on mine but didn't keep any rounds in the mags as the gun went back in the carry case after use. I also shortened the LOP by removing the springs in the buttplate and tightening the 3 screws with buttplate in. Refer to JRE's pics...

In related 9mm carbine news, I picked up the attached from PSA just after Christmas. Still waiting for delivery and still need to get a 9mm upper for it. PSA has a number of them in the $400 range (on sale). Ironically, they do not have 9mm upper parts (ie: "hybrid" bolt) available separately. :rolleyes: To put it into perspective and to get back OT, the AR-9 will end up about double the cost of the Hi-Point when done... :oops:

kit-0130.jpg 77813073.jpg

Last edited:
:rolleyes: To put it into perspective and to get back OT, the AR-9 will end up about double the cost of the Hi-Point when done... :oops:

View attachment 14065 View attachment 14066

I hear ya there. I considered buying a used Wilson Combat AR9, Glock mags, that had an asking price around $8-900.
Came across the 995 and figured I would be happy enough with it and the extra cash in my pocket.
The AR is a better carbine obiviously but it's easier to tell the wife I spent $300 ;)

...but it's easier to tell the wife I spent $300 ;)

You TOLD your wife you bought another gun! :eek: ;) I usually just sneak them into the safe... :cool: :D

The "package" I bought was $450 plus shipping, plus FFL so probably around $500 by the time I'm holding it in my hands. I figure the 40 mags are worth a minimum $10ea so that is $400 there so the lower ended up costing me around $100 not that I have a use for that many mags as I already have a bunch of gennie Glock mags inc. 33s. The 40 mags in the package will hold over 1000rds :eek:--will that be enough? ;) Maybe I'll sell some of the mags and make a little profit which will lower the price even more. But the upper is still going to be around $400 unless I can find a barrel and BCG reasonably priced. I think PSA is deliberately pricing the lowers low so they can make some $ on the uppers. The ol' bait and switch... :rolleyes:

Sorry to hijack--I'll probably post a build thread once I get more parts...

You TOLD your wife you bought another gun! :eek: ;) I usually just sneak them into the safe... :cool: :D

My wife is great. She doesn't mind the guns. She even called me at work about a week ago, while out shopping, to ask me if I had enough ammo
or should she pick some up 9mm and .22LR :).

Back