• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New guy with a new Shockwave!

Racer88

Hello! While I knew about the Shockwave, I'll admit it really wasn't on my wish list radar.

But, for my birthday, my wife researched "gun that's fun to shoot," and the online consensus was the Shockwave. So, that's what I got for my birthday! 12-ga version.
Shockwave.jpg

At first I was a bit perplexed, unsure what I was going to do with this THING. Then I started researching it online. Watching videos. Reading reviews. And, my interest went from "piqued," to jumping down the rabbit hole with both feet! There were various popular accessories that can help tame the beast. Sooooo....
pimp-my-shockwave.jpg

I started with some goodies from Defender Tactical:
Shockwave-Sights-and-minishell-adapter.gif

Then....
Defender Tactical Rear Grip Enhancement Kit:
Shockwave-Recoil-Strap.jpg

Streamlight TLR 8G (light and green laser).
Shockwave-&-TLR-8G.jpg

GG&G Side Saddle Shotshell Carrier (with quick disconnect sling swivel).
Shockwave-&-GG&G-Side-Saddle-Shotshell-Carrier.jpg

I'm planning to fire it for the first time tomorrow. Plan on starting with some Federal Shorty ammo.

Welcome to the fold! Your Shockwave looks great. It's a fun little blaster, especially with the Shortys. Let us know how your first range visit goes!

Just got back from the range. OMG, this thing is FUN! And holy shit... a very bad day for the hypothetical "bad guy!"

I started with the Federal Shorty (minishell) #4-Buck ammo. Piece of cake! I went through 3 boxes of that (30 rounds).
1667062509263.png
1667062579869.png
I brought the 5 full-size Sellier & Bellot 00-Buck in the side saddle and decided to give them a go. More recoil, but VERY managable! I was very pleasantly surprised. After the five rounds of full-size 00-Buck, I finished the 2nd target off with ten rounds of Federal Shorty #4-Buck.
1667062563982.png
With the laser I mostly fired from my side. But I was quickly so comfortable that I even brought the Shockwave up to eye-level (with the shorty and full-size shells) without fearing for my front teeth. The "recoil strap" on the strong hand makes the gun VERY controllable. A MUST have, IMO. I had no worries at all about getting smacked in the face.

I'll even say this... The Shockwave is easier on my body than my H&R Topper 12-ga (which is why I got a 20-ga barrel for it!:
1667062618333.png

That said, I submit that the Shockwave is NOT a gun for a novice or first-timer. But, man... IT. IS. FUN! And I'd have no qualms about using it as a primary home defense weapon.

I was hoping someone would ask me, "Who are you?"
So, I could reply, "I am da pahty poopah!"

1667064603128.png

Last edited:
I just wanted to add... The Defender Tactical Rear Grip Enhancement Kit is... da bomb!

While admittedly having very limited experience - one range trip - I found this "recoil strap" combined with the rubber sleeve to be confidence-insipring. Total control of the gun! I'm tellin' ya! Easier and more pleasant than my regular H&R single-shot 12-ga (with a stock). Easier on my hand than my .40-cal Glocks (G27 and G23). No kidding.

If you don't have a Defender Tactical Rear Grip kit... GET ONE!

You'll get a bit of a "work-out" installing the rubber sleeve! Be patient! It will take SEVERAL minutes. Watch their install video. Don't forget to feed the strap through at the very beginning (their video doesn't show that)! Do that instead of using the little rubber band to hold the inside segment of the strap against the grip. WAY better!
20221028_185123[1].jpg
With the strap underneath the rubber grip sleeve, this "bit of kit" makes grasping the Shockwave like putting on a comfortable glove. Really!

Last edited:
Got a different accessory rail for the flashlight / laser mount. The tri-rail from Defender Tactical... OF COURSE! Ha!

Much better to have the light / laser at the 6:00 position than the 3:00. I also found the GG&G forward rail (horizontal only) was nearly impossible to get to where it wouldn't wiggle a little, even after tightening the magazine cap as tightly as possible. The DT tri-rail feels solid.

The GG&G rail putting the light / laser out horizontally makes it a snag-hazard, IMO. And having the laser horizontally creates double the parallax issue (elevation AND windage). Having the laser aligned vertically leaves only the elevation to be factored. In a vertical configuration, the windage is correct at any distance.

Shockwave-with-Streamlight-vertical.jpgShockwave-with-Streamlight-vertical-2.jpg

A bonus of the vertical configuration is that it fits in the carry case much better. :cool:

I'm not sure what purpose the two angled pic rails serve. But, they do look kinda badass. :)

I never expected it, but I love this thing! OK... "love" is really not the right word to ascribe to an inanimate object. But I am enjoying this FAR more than I thought I would.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and glad you're enjoying your Shockwave. I bought on the first month they were introduced and use it as a work gun. It's a great gun without issues.

Regards

Another range session today. Fired full-load slugs! Yee-haaaaaaaaaaaaw! More on my range session later.

But, damn... I've gotta radius the edges of the loading port! It's like a "Ginsu" knife "slicing and dicing" my fingers!

Racer, working back the edges of the loading port also really speeds up you tactical reloading on the go. You can thumb in new rounds quicker and not worry about cutting your thumb especially on the forward leading edge of the port. I've done this mod for years to all my shotguns and it really helps.

Regards

Racer, working back the edges of the loading port also really speeds up you tactical reloading on the go. You can thumb in new rounds quicker and not worry about cutting your thumb especially on the forward leading edge of the port. I've done this mod for years to all my shotguns and it really helps.

Since I went down the P80 building rabbit hole starting back in July 2021, I think I can handle this "mod." :cool:
But, yeah... I got reminded today at the range that I need to do it!
1667675035946.png

Last edited:
Update! I installed the Defender Tactical overmolded forend. I had to wait for a metal forend castle nut tool to arrive. The plastic tool that comes with the forend broke, as the nut was SUPER-TIGHT. I had to use a screwdriver through the holes in the metal tool to break it loose.

Now that I've got the old forend off, I don't recall if it wobbled. I'm supposing it's normal for the twin action bars to have some wobble in them?
Shockwave-Magpul-rail-sling-QD-and-DT-forend.jpg

I also found a use for the 45-degree angled upper rail on the DT tri-rail! I mounted a Magpul Rail Sling QD there. Perfect! I also got a Magpul sling.
Shockwave-and-Magpul-sling.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great! Good use of the Tri-Rail with the QD point. Yes, there is some wobble with the dual action bars using the factory forend as well, but that's a classic Mossberg feature lol. Hope you continue to enjoy it and let us know if we can help with anything!

Back