• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New HD Setup for a 590a1

AOSRYJP

Copper BB
Hi, Everyone. I'm a new guy that has never owned a shotgun, only a G17. Looking to get a 590a1. After researching a bit I think I want to go with an ATI Akita stock and a Magpul MOE Forend w/ some skaters tape. Also plan to use an XS Big Dot. Still have to decide on a light. What do you all think of that setup? I have only put about 50 shells through a shotgun in my life.

Hello and welcome!

The 590a1 is pretty badass out of the box, I would maybe add a saddle and depending on you circumstances, a light but it your`s to customize as you please!

I`m a less is more guy, bare bones....

I was thinking of the 590 Shockwave with a pistol brace kit, Surefire forend, sidesaddle of some sorts and an XS big dot front bead. I would load it with Minishells alternating buck then slug. That would make a great little HD shotgun.

OK, is it the firearm model with the grip, or a standard stocked 590? I'm assuming standard, but wanted to ask. If that's the case, Elbert mirrored what I like.

A light, a side saddle shell holder for a few extra shells on tap.

Practice, practice practice. You can do that with birdshot if you have a safe place to shoot it.

Thanks for the welcome!

It has the standard stock. Not a fan of pistol grips from my limited experience. Also, I feel that using a pistol grip takes away from the "advantages" of using a Mossberg - the use of the slide release and the safety.

Unfortunately, I can only shoot at the range regularly. They only allow slugs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was thinking of the 590 Shockwave with a pistol brace kit, Surefire forend, sidesaddle of some sorts and an XS big dot front bead. I would load it with Minishells alternating buck then slug. That would make a great little HD shotgun.
As of right now, I'm thinking of keeping it loaded with 3" BB. Worried about the balance of over/under penetration. And yes, I understand BB will penetrate also. For right now just making an "educated" (lol) guess from what I have been seeing & reading online.

Hi. Welcome.

The Special Purpose 590 is quite a bit lighter if you are considering hanging more stuff off your shotgun. I went with that model (the one with 20" 8+1 and Ghost Ring sights) and am very glad I did.

I like to run a new shotgun this way: until you know it like your tongue knows your teeth. Then deciding what I might want to change and what I might want to keep is more informed. My 590 wears an original wood stock, a sling, a sidesaddle and a light.

Hi. Welcome.

The Special Purpose 590 is quite a bit lighter if you are considering hanging more stuff off your shotgun. I went with that model (the one with 20" 8+1 and Ghost Ring sights) and am very glad I did.

I already purchased the 590a1 based upon my sons recommendation. He was an MP in the Core. Hope it works out for me though.

Thoughts???
2d9cd3e4653b980cdae7c0f8ad5953bf.jpg
3af3655bc0edcf2fe56adae110b8dc57.jpg
23b0e6dafb7d66740e7c5c5e315aaa8c.jpg
9a84a01eb7c89e946ebc56f791dee38d.jpg
1a1e9d6df876037b9fa8a395f5325e57.jpg

BTW, I joined a lodge. Now I'm shooting clays every other day. I'm 18" and these guys are 30" +. Ironic...

Have three recommendations for the OP

1. You need a mounted light to help you identify friend or foe in reduced light conditions

2. You need an onboard shell holder, either fixed or Velcro mounted shot cards

3. You need lots of ammo from birdshot to slugs

After you've shot 500 to 1000 rounds under both daylight and night conditions you will know what additional modifications you need to make to your new shotgun that will enhance "its and your" functionality.

Just some thoughts from an old guy with six plus decades of shotgunning.

Regards

Nice set up OP. Looks like you're all set with the shotgun, pistol, knife, earmuffs etc. The one thing I would comment on is it looks like the mount for the light/sling might make disassembly a bit of a PITA. Also you must be tall since it looks like you have every spacer available for the stock/butt pad.
I agree with most here that you need to shoot the heck out of this config and really get a good feel for any future changes or modifications. Have fun!!!

Thanks Guys! I have a Streamlight TLR1-HL mounted under the mag tube. I'll have to decide on an onboard shell carrier. And in the past 3 weeks I've probably put about 2000 rounds through her. A fay shooting clays is about 100-200 shells for me.

Did a little patterning. For my home situation I think I'm going to go with a #1 shot. I do have slugs, 00, BB, & #4 shot in the wings also. Some in 3".

Disassembly isnt that bad how it is, but I am having a problem because I got the S&J Hardware +1 extension (yes, for the new factory extended tube). The problem is that I'm still only getting 6 in the mag. I think it's because the spring is too long (sticks out of the mag tube 2-3' when fully inserted, but not depressed). The original spring only sticks out past the end of the mag a few inches. Don't want to cut it until I hear from them. S&J doesn't seem to want to get back to me either. Gonna have to do more research when I have time.

Thanks for the input.

Take off the sling on the HD gun. You won’t use it and it’s just gonna get in the way. Unless you plan on taking day courses or gonna be on patrol with it... not necessary for a grab and go bump in the night bang bang session.

Second a side saddle for extra bang juice.

Take off the sling on the HD gun. You won’t use it and it’s just gonna get in the way. Unless you plan on taking day courses or gonna be on patrol with it... not necessary for a grab and go bump in the night bang bang session.

I disagree with you on this one. What will you do if you need both hands, such as to treat a loved one or carry them to safety... lay the shotgun down?

A sling is to a long gun what a holster is to a handgun.

I disagree with you on this one. What will you do if you need both hands, such as to treat a loved one or carry them to safety... lay the shotgun down?

A sling is to a long gun what a holster is to a handgun.

Agree to disagree. A holster is worn to carry a gun.

You’re at home. It’s your home defense gun. Most people have a bed side handgun or shotgun aren’t running around holstering their pistol or slinging their long gun. It’s out to engage immediately.

I’ve researched this a bit to draw a simple conclusion. The sling is rarely used in these types of home situations.

Light - yes
Tritium sights - sure
Side saddle - yup

Sling - eeeh.

What would I be doing for a loved one with the bad guy still engaging me? You neutralize the threat then handle the medical.

I honestly wouldnt even bother with a side saddle. What are you defending against that will need more than 5 shots? If your in an urban situation, and its intruders you are going to pump and squeeze until its empty. Adrenaline will be so high you wont be able to reload. Rural situation, and theres coyotes attaking your sheep or cows, yeah maybe you will be able to switch from slug to buck or vice versa, but still, a couple shots and the predator high tails it.

Lets face it, most of us arent prepared for a combat engagement scenario, so no reason to to cover our guns with tactical stuff.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Back