• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Maverick 88 20 Gauge Youth model purchased

Artful

.22LR
Picked up a Youth Model Maverick 88 20 gauge pump for Christmas Present to my Wife.
Worked the action a bunch and that smoothed up but the safety still sticky after working it and lubing it
- any suggestions?

Also let wife try it before Xmas -(yeah, I know but she's like a 12 year old boy, so let her have it after Jewish Hanukkah sundown) and it's shooting High for her. - picked up a magnetic fiber optic sight but it's still high - any suggestions (I have her using 7/8 oz 2 3/4 target loads)?

Welcome, Art, to Mossberg Owners from E TN.
Merry Christmas to you and congrats on your wife's exceptional gift.

You write "it's shooting High for her - picked up a magnetic fiber optic sight but it's still high..."

First thing I'll have to ask: When you shoot it, where does it shoot?

This may help you determine whether it is her shooting technique or the gun's configuration
Get back to us on that and we'll work on it with you.

I don't have much experience on the sticky safety issue, but I'll bet some others here will have.

license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Ha, when I shot it my thumb hits me in the face - it's only got a 12" stock which fits my wife and I'm a foot taller - but my impression was it was hitting high for me as well.
I found a Shim kit on ebay for the stock to receiver that will adjust some for dropping the stock comb so when that comes in we will try it - in the mean time
after Xmas I will take some paper and try and get her to pattern it with me so I have some real numbers to work with.

Appreciate the welcome and any other suggestions you have.

OK. I totally get the misfit part.
But what you should do is get a rifle rest [I just use sandbags or leadbags for rests]. Then on a bench get down and adjust for a perfect sight picture. That should eliminate some of the human factor from the analysis.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

images

images

I've got plans to do just that after Christmas with her.

Speaking of which

Merry Christmas to All of You :santa:

It's a bead. Hold it an inch lower on the target. You don't get rifle sighting from a bead. You get shotgun pointing. Instead of modifying/adding/fitzing this and that and the other, just shoot it a few times and see where to hold the bead. If you're using a good cheek weld on the stock and a good posture when firing, just aim lower.

Back