• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

(new) Quick question

3skulls

.270 WIN
I have been reading so much info, I think I'm in overload.

Pretty much want a new shotgun and have made up my mind to go with a Mossberg.

Want:
590a1 for sure.
8+1 20"
bayo lug

Don't want/care about:
The tri-rail forend. Read reviews that the bottom rail will eat up your hand.?
The Blackwater labels.

So I keep finding the Tactical Tri-Rail and the Blackwater.
Is the 51668 590a1-LE model still available?
Will I have to pickup the Tri-Rail or the Blackwater and just change out forends?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Hello and hi! Welcome to MO and I hope we can help!

I have a 590A1, model 51660.

It is the 20", standard stock and forend with bead sight. It has the bayonet lug too!

I did an image search for "Mossberg model 51660" and found several of mine! So heres a pic of mine and the only thing I not factory here is the stock which is a Hogue short LOP (12"). Oh, and the sling and sling attachment point...
196933_1681723117999_1085205913_31462060_5168808_n.jpg

That's perfect, thank you.
I have seen that photo many times over the past few days. Now I have a number to work with.

None of the local shops have any of the 590a1 models. I would really like to get a feel for it before I buy something online. There is a show coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping I can get something there.

I'll take a look around for the 51660.

Thanks again!!

Sure thing man!

I had to order mine, sight unseen and had only previously handled a Mossberg 500. Not a single regret. :D

I've got a model 51663.

It's the same as the one pictured above, but with ghost ring sights...

How much did those GRS run you? I'm guessing you have to get a gunsmith to install them if you don't have that skill?

3skulls said:
How much did those GRS run you? I'm guessing you have to get a gunsmith to install them if you don't have that skill?

Model 51663, ghost ring sights are factory! No installation required on the buyers end, this pic is box stock! ;)

51663.jpg

Ok that's the one I want!!

This site is awesome.
Thanks guys!

So how how rare is this model number? I found one for sale so far. (most places out of stock)
Kinda hoping to wait for the show but no idea if any would show up there.

Sorry I'm late, but looks like your question got answered.

Took me a while to track mine down, but they're out there. Ordered mine on-line from Bud's...

Damn it.
Got up today ready to buy the ONE I found. Got my FFL to fax over their info. Hit send on the payment and got declined. My bank messed up my deposit today (put in the cash I had saved up)
Gave the guy at the shop a call to let him know that the fax coming in was for me and that as soon as my bank fixed the problem, I would put the order in.

He asked which gun so I told him. He said " wait I just got an order in for that model number" Long story short, the gun was sold while I was on the phone with the bank. Only one in stock.
FTW

Keep at it!

I'm sure you'll be able to track one down. My LGS here in Nashville had one on the wall last time I was there. I'll check in and see if they still have it. If they do, I'll shoot ya a PM with their info if you're interested...

That would be very kind of you sir. I'm just north of you up in Louisville.

Are the 590a1 models just hard to come by or what?

They're a bit harder to find than many other models.

It's been my experience that whatever I end up looking for turns out to be hard to find. Murphy's Law I guess...

They all seem to be hard to come by right now...

LES, thats mighty kind of you to check into that! I looked at the online store for one here in cincy. They actually have a pretty good stock of arms, but only one 590A1, an 18 1/2" bead sight with Speed Feed stock.

Meh, I do what I can.

The shop owners are some really good folks and if I can help them out while helping one of our members it's a win-win in my book...

What do you guys think of the 590a1 SPX model?

Found one in my state for about $50 more plus free shipping.

Ha! I just asked my girl, why is everything I want so hard to find. She said, you are just picky.

The SPX model is much like the one LES had mentioned, but with the receiver mounted picatinny rail and LPA sights. The sight profile is a little higher than the OFM factory GRS. My only concern with the taller GRS is cheek weld, but many people own them and have no complaint. I havent ever fired one to be able to say.

The SPX model also has the shorter barrel, 18 1/2" and is a 5 + 1 capacity.

As for the cost, those LPA sights are pretty expensive if you were to buy them on your own, so at only $50 more for the gun, I say its a good price!

I'm hopeful some else can offer some better experience or opinions here!

^ Yeah, what whatsisface said.

It should come with a bayonet as well. One word of caution though. Be sure to check the alignment of the FSB (front sight base). The SPX models have a bad reputation for leaving the factory with canted front sights...

Back