• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New S&W M&P 15 Sport

JayC

.270 WIN
Well, today I couldn't hold out much longer. While in town for some other stuff I stopped by the place I got my 500 from. They had the M&P 15 Sport on sale. I've been debating buying it all week. I told myself, I don't have to buy. I can just look at it. I knew once I held it, I wouldn't be leaving it. :D I've wanted an AR style firearm for a long time. I figured with the market as saturated like it is, and the political climate like it is I might as well get it. I've been reading up on AR's almost every chance I got for the last month or two. For my uses, the little Sport will do me just fine. I haven't shot it, yet. I only broke it down to clean and lube it. It feels great in my hands. I like the MBUS sight. I can't wait to shoot it.

P1030525.jpg
P1030527.jpg

I miss mine. Drop that POS Magpul rear sight and place a quality A4 rear sight, zero it using the RIBZ method... and that thing will nail quarters at 100 yards with irons on the bench. I know, I used to do it.

Last edited:
I have the exact one. Somewhere around 2,000 rounds down the pipe, not a singl hiccup. Flawless right out of th box. Got a sling and a cheap red dot, perfectly happy. I do not need a $ 2000 mil spec Daniel defense AR.
Lack of dust cover and forward assist are a non issue for me.
The m and p sport and the ruger 556 are the best bang for the money AR's out there right now as far as I am concerned.
I could care less about mil spec, mine goes bang every time you pill the trigger .
Enjoy, you will be happy with your choice.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it in the next couple days or so. One thing that kind of surprised me about the Sport, was I read the bolt carrier wasn't magnetically particle tested. The BCG on my Sport clearly shows the MP on it. Makes me wonder if it was pressure tested and shot peened, too. Doesn't really matter to me, I just thought it interesting.

I'm not sure what sight to get. I really like the look of carbines with carry handles, but I kind of want to put a red dot on (or even a scope). I'm not going to go crazy with all the other things you can do to these things. I learned my lesson with my 500. lol

If you have any questions or run across anything you're not sure about, just ask. I'm sure someone here will chime in pretty quickly.

Congratulations on the AR. Awesome feeling isn't it.

If you have any questions or run across anything you're not sure about, just ask. I'm sure someone here will chime in pretty quickly.

Congratulations on the AR. Awesome feeling isn't it.

Thanks! I was thinking earlier, that with all the talk about gun control and what not lately (I had just read another article about the dems latest push), knowing that I have the firearm that the antis have a hard on for gives me the warm and fuzzies. :D

I miss mine. Drop that POS Magpul rear sight and place a quality A4 rear sight, zero it using the RIBZ method... and that thing will nail quarters at 100 yards with irons on the bench. I know, I used to do it.

It's bad enough 5.56 ammo is upward of $0.40 a round now, and you're spending $0.65 per round punching holes in perfectly good quarters. What the hell bro?!

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get to shoot it in the next couple days or so. One thing that kind of surprised me about the Sport, was I read the bolt carrier wasn't magnetically particle tested. The BCG on my Sport clearly shows the MP on it. Makes me wonder if it was pressure tested and shot peened, too. Doesn't really matter to me, I just thought it interesting.

I'm not sure what sight to get. I really like the look of carbines with carry handles, but I kind of want to put a red dot on (or even a scope). I'm not going to go crazy with all the other things you can do to these things. I learned my lesson with my 500. lol

Congrats on the new rifle.

My only advice would be to shoot it for a while without optics to become proficient with the irons. Add only what you need to improve function or performance. Enjoy it...

Congrats on the new rifle.

My only advice would be to shoot it for a while without optics to become proficient with the irons. Add only what you need to improve function or performance. Enjoy it...

That's what I had planned, actually. lol On my Marlin 795, I immediately scoped it. I took the scope off (it's been off ever since), and wanted to use the irons for awhile to see what they're like. Then the great .22 panic hit. If I'm lucky, I may see Remington Thunderbolts every once in a blue moon on the shelf here. I absolutely refuse to shoot those things. I've basically got a three year old Marlin 795 with about 200 rounds through it, and the irons are still where they were at when it left the factory. I haven't shot it in about two and a half years because there's been no .22 around here. I hope .223/5.56 doesn't dry up like .22 did. :confused:

Don't hate the game....hate the player !!

BTW...Nice score on the M&P15 JayC !!

Ive got one too, It started my landslide into the AR world. Ive since built a couple of my own. Its still one of my go to guns though. Put a good red dot sight on it and be done.

Thanks again, guys. I haven't shot it yet. I'm hoping to sometime this weekend. I'm already thinking about buying a stripped lower to start piecing one together gradually. lol

Anywho, I do have a question. When I got it home the other day, I was looking through the box. I noticed there was an allen key inside the box. I'm not sure if it was placed in the box by mistake by the store or S&W or if I actually need it. Do any of the parts need an allen key? I sure don't see where.

There are no allen screws on an AR15.

Consider it a bonus.

Unless S&W is including some strange trigger lock or something.

Grip screw on mine is Allen head, takes a 3/16. I don't recall getting the wrench with mine, and I don't think the instructions cover grip removal

Ok, that's what I thought. I don't know if the store put it in the box or S&W. It doesn't look like a new one, either. It's got some wear marks on the finish and the tip is short of rounded down like they usually do. It came with a trigger lock, gun lock, and range safety flag thing. The tirgger lock had its own weird key.

Back