• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New stock

Phil L

Copper BB
After looking at diagrams and reading the manual, I still can not tell for sure if my MMR Tac is mil spec or comm. in regards to the buffer tube. I have been kicking around changing my stock to a Magpul, but, am not sure which type would fit. Any help clearing this up would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Phil.

MilSpec_vs_Commercial_Extension.jpg

Does this help?

I want to say the MMR has MIL spec but I would not bet my life on it.

That seems to be the stock answer regarding the MMR. Unfortunately, the opinions seem split pretty much down the middle.

Howdy Phil.

Can you post a picture of your buffer tube? The threaded end is the tell all of which version you have. On a mil-spec version the threaded portion of the tube is wider than the tube itself. The threads on a commercial tube are cut into the tube and are of the same diameter as the tube...

I asked this question to the technicians as Mossberg and was informed that the receiver extension tube and stock is commercial spec. I hope this helps everyone!

drtimtest, this has been bothering me for a long time. The research I've made, including measuring my buffer tube,seems to conclude my MMR Tactical has a MILSPEC Buffer Tube. I recently purchased a Daniel Defense Milspec Buttstock, (Daniel Defense buttstocks are only availalbe in MILSPEC) and it fit like a glove. Perfect upgrade for my MMR Tactical. I'll try and get some pictures posted soon.

Bobster, your reply, although certainly welcome, seems to be a bit off topic in this forum, and especially this thread. The rifle we're discussing is the Mossberg MMR Tactical AR15. Its lower receiver is not polymer, but made of 7075 T6 aluminum forging.

Back