• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New Technology for Reloaders...

S

SHOOTER13

Possible Replacement of the 150 year old Brass Case:

Shell Shock Technologies (SST) announces

Two Piece Nickel Aluminum Stainless Steel ( NAS3) case...

40+ Reloadings / No trimming

Interesting...probably cost more at first...but, that cost would be spread out over the long reloading life of the case.

LINK:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201702/#/14

Interesting.

I noticed they were slightlu unsure about their pressure claim as they do not have the proper pressure testing equipment. That raised a red flag for me.

I would like to see more long term research. The weak point would appear to be where the case rivits to the base.

I like idea of being able to customize colors and ability to use a magnet to pick them up. That will definitely help on the range.

I forsee a bunch of people trying to use the incorrect dies then claim ignorance.

Overall its nice to see someone working in this area to prolong case life. I'm curious to see where it goes.

I can see these getting stuck in the dies while the base pulls off.

I can see these getting stuck in the dies while the base pulls off.

That was a concern addressed in the article. They have a special die that would need to be used to avoid that scenario. Although, if it doesn't stretch and need to be trimmed, maybe it doesn't need a resize every reload either....?

Edit: This looks to me like promising technology. I hate losing brass, happens every time.

Losing one of these will cost you more.

That's ok. We're looking at an entry price in the article, it can only get better from there. If they last half as long as claimed they'll still be cost-effective, especially with easier and undoubtedly higher recovery rates for outdoor shooters. I'll be keeping my eyes open for some reviews on them.

I still have not read the entire article but I can see that this case is formed from an aluminum base and a stainless steel cup.

While this assembly may be much stronger than a traditional brass case and it may weigh less I'm skeptical of that for two main reasons.

The first is that it weighs half as much as a traditional case, and that means it is going to have problems feeding and ejecting in some guns. From what I see, most Semi-automatic mechanisms are designed to "toss" bullets around, and generally without full control of the cartridge.

My second concern is corrosion. When aluminum starts to corrode it goes to hell fast. Brass takes much longer to disappear. Also putting more dissimilar Metals together means more chances for galvanic action in corrosive atmospheres like Salt Air or damp hunting conditions.

Last edited:
Personally I think the answer is an all stainless steel case, poly coated.

Wouldn't the stainless work harden, quicker than brass? And become brittle, resulting in fewer reloadings?

I don't think so. Because it takes more pressure to work steel than brass, the brass will get stretched more.

But it wouldn't matter if it did because stainless steel costs a fraction of what brass costs, so you could afford to throw them away more often.

Back