• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New to shotguns, building maverick 88 18.5"

Don’t add too much stuff on it. The more it looks like something from a movie or a video game the worse it’s gonna perform. Get useful stuff like a good sling and swivel mounts. Don’t get a big ole looping sling (like the one that holds shells). Get one that you can use to steady your aim. Something like this. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2611167454

There aren’t very many good options for night sights but they’re warranted. This one works “ok.” But, have to remove a few threads so they don’t stick into the barrel.
It’s not all that bright, but options are limited and it’s better than just seeing black. https://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-tru-dot-shotgun-night-sights-for-mossberg-shotguns.html
Get a trigger spring kit to reduce the trigger pull weight (easier to pull). The stainless magazine follower is nice but it isn’t a “must have.”
https://www.mcarbo.com/store/p/36-Mossberg-Shotguns-500-/-835-Trigger-Spring-Kit.aspx
I wouldn’t change the fore end. Options are limited and the original works well. If you want you can smooth out the action bars with some emery cloth. Don’t go nuts with it though. You can do the same to all of the other action pieces. You’re pretty much just looking to remove any rough spots that might have been left during the manufacturing process.
Since you’re “shooting in the house,” the type of shell doesn’t matter all that much as long as they’re not slugs. 2-3/4” #4’s will do. Or if you want to spend a little more go for 2-3/4” 00 buck.
Get some practice. Heat shields, bayonets, door breeching muzzle brakes, etc -not so cool.
Five rounds of #4 at 10 yds or so split the fence board. That’s a fairly narrow target for shell shot.
Yes, I am resurrecting an old thread.

Question about the trigger spring kit. Have you had any Light Primer strikes after installing this?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Here is my tactical Mav 88. IT IS NOT FOR HOME DEFENSE, for that I use a little 380 loaded with Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo.
This is for defense against a mob of deranged loonies if our world turns to crap.
AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 04.JPG

Are all those blue shells Hornady TAP low recoil 00 Buck?

If so, they work great.

Are all those blue shells Hornady TAP low recoil 00 Buck?

If so, they work great.
No. The blue ones are slugs, the red ones are 00 buck.
Here is another pic. Forget finding a folding stock like this one, it is a discontinued Butler Creek folding stock. I got lucky and found one new in the box that a gun dealer found buried in his warehouse and put on gunbroker. Then modified it to hold 4 rounds in a shell holder on one side and a holder for two spare batteries for the light/laser on the other side.
AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 01.JPG
AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 02.jpg
AA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 04.JPGAA TACTICAL SHOTGUN 03.JPG

Last edited:
Back