• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new to site

well im here just to learn a little more about my mossberg 535 and maybe some hunting.i have a question i have a turkey barrel and moss xx full choke,they both say lead only,is copper coated lead fine or does it have to be all lead shot?

Good question on the copper plated shot! The copper plated stuff is harder than just lead, but softer than steel.

Is the choke factory from Mossberg?

I'll see what I can find!

Brad.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

Glad you found us. I'm sure the crew'll be able to rustle up the info you're lookin for.

Enjoy the site!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum! I will look into your question and see what I can find.

I did some diggin and found some info specifically mentioning the xtra full turkey choke. As long as its copper plated lead, there should be no issue at all. The plated lead shot is still soft enough to be safely fired through the choke. There was a time when steel shot was ruining choke tubes, but these chokes were made before the steel shot and not designed to handle the pressure. In fact steel is not recommended in anything tighter than modified. Since the developement of steel shot, choke tubes have been designated for one or the other or in some cases both.

I have read of chokes designed to handle steel that have still cracked under pressure, typically steel used in a full choke.

Copper plated lead shot, like a turkey load will be fine, steel can bulge the barrel or rings or even shred a choke tube. The other side of this is that steel doesnt pattern very well I'm told through a full or xtra full choke.

What size shot are you planning to use?

thanks rossignol for that info and doing research,i plan on using #4 shot with a 3 1/2" shell,it worked well last year with 28"bird barrel and full chock.i just liked this turkey barrel because its shorter

It makes a lot of sense that the copper plating is safe to use.

Copper is non abrasive and is used in new pistols to help "lubricate" the internal mechanics. You ever notice the copper flakes inside your slide the first time you field strip your pistol for cleaning? Most people clean it out right away, but it's actually put there to help smoothe out the break-in where metal meets metal.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It makes a lot of sense that the brass plating is safe to use.

Brass is non abrasive and is used in new pistols to help "lubricate" the internal mechanics. You ever notice the brass flakes inside your slide the first time you field strip your pistol for cleaning? Most people clean it out right away, but it's actually put there to help smoothe out the break-in where metal meets metal.

brass or copper ? havent seen brass plating yet

Thanks for the check! ;)

Yup, I meant copper. That's what I get for posting in the a.m. before the caffiene kicks in. :D

Back