• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New used barrel

I just bought a new used barrel . It has been cut down to 18.5 inches. The barrel is a vent rib. Now "Bubba" also put a fiber optic slide on bead.
My question is what can I do for a bead ? I not really a fan of clamp on or slide on beads . I thought of drilling and tapping the rib. Then putting a new bead on it. What are my options for a new bead ? Where do I get a new bead ? What thread size etc.?
My second option is a ghost ring sight. How would the front sight work with the rear ghost ring sitting on top the rib?
Third option is a reflex sight I would leave the slide on fiber optic.
I will be useing it for home defence . Sometimes I will also be useing it with slugs .
What do guys recommend ? I think the barrel is worth saving . Bubba did a really decent job hacking the end of the barrel . It almost looks like it came from the factory that way.

Sent from my A503DL using Tapatalk

If you have a local gunsmith then I would bring it there and have them tap it and install a bead. The shop by me charges about 50 bucks to do so. You can do it yourself but takes having the right equipment. You can also add a reflex sight like you mentioned but I am a believer in the KISS protocol when it comes to home defense.

You can order the tap and drill from an industrial supply house like MSC or McMaster Carr or Grainger. Or maybe Midway. I keep a supply of 500 brass beads with matching tap specifically for this purpose. There is no rule that says you HAVE to put back a Remington bead (for example). I just shortened an H&R 1871 to about 19" because that was where the rib support was rather than let the rib "hang" with a shorter cut.

PS: I use Mossberg 500 beads because they are a larger thread diameter and a perfect replacement for smaller stripped out holes. Drill and tap a little bit larger and GTG!

PPS: second pic is the H&R currently with a $40 870 "tactical" stock...

beady.jpg

partac.jpg

Last edited:
Back