• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newbie Question: Bottom of Front Bead Sight Screw Exposed and Barrel Scratches/Rust

Hi all, I took apart my brand new shotgun today to do an inspection of parts and to clean it. It still hasn't been fired by me. I am a complete newbie. Please see the attached pictures.

Should the bottom of the front beat screw be slightly exposed inside the barrel? When I can my finger over it, I can slightly feel it. Wouldn't it get in the way of the shell coming out?

Also, there is some scratches/roughness just inside the barrel on the muzzle end. Is this normal?

Thanks for your time and patience for my newbie questions.
IMG_20200507_134227.jpg IMG_20200507_134210.jpg IMG_20200507_134113.jpg

What Fellman said. Remove bead before filing a little bit at a time and putting back and checking until bead threads no longer protrude. I agree that the scratches and bead protruding are not acceptable with a new gun. A blemish here and there is to be expected but yours could affect function. I don't know if the gun was sold as "refurb" or something like that...

I dunno, Weezy. This sure does not look like a new shotgun, even though I see the butt stock has the "Maverick" sticker on it. Like Bobster said above, yours could be a "refurb". As regards the "Maverick" sticker, new butt stocks can be had on E-Bay, mounted on a used firearm and then passed off as "new". If you paid the price for a factory brand new shotgun you shouldn't have to do maintenance on it as soon as you get it home. I recommend you return it to the dealer for an exchange or refund.

Those scratches wouldn't bother me as much as the bead sight screw protruding into the barrel. Someone may have installed an after market bead sight. You could remove it and file it down a little at a time until it is flush. You could probably polish out the scratches with some very fine sand paper and a wooden dowel. I would take the shotgun back to the vendor and see what they say about the sight screw.

Thanks for all your input. I understand this is a budget gun and can't expect everything to be perfect. I just want it to function safely. I can live with the scratches and will file down the bead sight. Every other part seemed brand new when I took it apart. I purchased this online from Mr. Gun Dealer in Michigan and had it shipped to my FFL. I'll email them and see what they have to say. I emailed Mossberg too and awaiting their response. The label on the box says it was packed in March 2020. That would suck if it was a refurbished one. As long as it would function properly and safely, I would like to avoid the hassle of dealing with an out of state dealer. Hoping Mossberg can make it right.

Upon further inspection with a bright LED light, it seems like it is some sort of build up of an unknown hard material. Like a hard crust or something. I was unable to pick it with my fingernails. Just ordered Hoppe's tornado barrel brush and see if I can get it off after soaking it in some cleaner. Mossberg corporate office replied finally and told me the bead is normal and that the marks could be from shipping or from their test firing. I brought it up with my out of state seller and they offered a full refund/return or a partial refund. They offered to replace it but there is no stock anywhere. I opted for a partial refund since it was the best option in terms of time and money. Lesson learned, inspect each firearm thoroughly at your FLL before accepting. Hoping this is an easy fix/clean with the barrel brush and the sanding down of the bead sight. Got my OPSol mini shell adapter today, can't wait to go to the range!

Hi all, here is a better picture. I tried brushing this excess gunk/metal off but no luck. I'm beginning to think this is a manufacturing process. This stuff is tough as hell to get off!
Just wrote another email to Mossberg with these new, clearer pictures. Let's see what they say.

https://imgur.com/a/OzwEnRk

Joseph Zakher

Product Service Repair Supervisor

He works for Maveric Arms and is very very helpful.

Joseph Zakher

Product Service Repair Supervisor

He works for Maveric Arms and is very very helpful.

Thank you so much for connecting me with Joseph!

I sent the barrel back on my dime and they took care of it and sent it back on their dime. They polished the barrel and got rid of that gunk. They also filed down the bead sight and I can no longer feel it. Can't wait to use it this weekend for the first time! Thanks for all the help, advice, and support. Glad I found this forum and didn't "sweep" this issue under the rug.

Attachments

• IMG_20200603_103100.jpg
    IMG_20200603_103100.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200603_103108.jpg
    IMG_20200603_103108.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 8
Glad he was able to help you. He is a good friend to Mossbergowners.com

Back