• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Newer duck hunter with access to land/pond - EXCITED!

mm6mm6

.22LR
My best friend talked to his cousin who owns property in Northern Illinois. The cousin has a man made lake/pond that he says always has lots of ducks and geese on it in the fall. There isn't much water around the area so it's probably a stopping point for the migration.

The water isn't very big and there is a group of pines to the west and group of evergreen bushes to the south. I think we could sit under the pines and if the wind usually comes out of the west, the ducks would land coming right at us. If we hid in the bushes, the ducks would land from our right to our left.

Just a half dozen decoys should be good enough on such a small pond.

Here's a panorama facing west:

Here's a standard photo facing west (note the pines at the west end):

Here's another panorama a little more to the left, still facing west, showing the line of evergreen bushes:

And here's the view from under the pine trees, facing to the east (I think this would be a great shooting spot):

Of course, a pop-up blind would work too if we needed to move to a position that made use of the wind if it didn't come out of the west or northwest. I like the idea of just wearing camp and sitting in a folding chair under those pines. I think we'd be well protected from view. We could put up a temporary wall of local brush too for when the ducks come to land into the wind westbound right at us.

I've got my Mossberg 930 all set now. I installed a spacer between the stock and the recoil pad to add a bit of length of pull (I'm 6'4") and I used the stock drop kit to lower the comb so I can see the front bead easier.

Here's me last fall in a floating duck blind with my Mossberg 930:

The duck blind is awesome and the guy who owns it is a master duck hunter. He calls and they always come! His boat and blind is unbelievable. The only trick is that I only got invited to go once last year because his blind is always full and I'm a friend of a friend.

After getting a taste of how much fun duck hunting is, I'm very excited to have this possibility of hunting on this small pond.

What do you all think? Any experienced hunters have any tips or advice? I'd love to hear from my fellow Mossberg Owners!

-Steve

Exciting although I am a bit bummed that there is no swimming , I have shot some birds but never seriously…..I am too picky of an eater lol……now if I could shoot peoples chickens that would be cool

Got a dog ?

Wow - what was the pond constructed for? It does have a "pay per duck" kinda look about it. Not that it's a bad thing. Looks like you can possibly shoot from the window of a camo SUV!!
*jealous*

Any fish in there?!?

It was built as a swimming/fishing hole by the owner (my friend's cousin). There is a bit of a beach at the east end. That's their cute little signage for no swimming or skating, but they do both.

There are good sized bass swimming in the clear water. I could see tons of them when we were there. There was a guy there in scuba gear when we arrived. He was there to clean out the weeds. They pay him every year.

The rest of the 200 acres would be great for deer, turkey, and coyote hunting. A portion of the land is on the Wisconsin side too. So rifle shooting for deer and coyote on the cheesehead side and shotgun on the Illinois side.

I'm jealous! I've duck hunted a few times but never all that seriously. I wish I had a good spot that was closer so I could go more often.

Back